• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] istp - how to communicate with you?

lilypad

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hi
Just after some advice from the istps.

How do you best communicate with an istp?

If you are stressed/upset what is the best way to comfort or reassure you?
x:hug:

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP

-in a half hearted, non-commital voice

-just leave me alone while i sort things out in my head

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That probably varies from person to person. I usually prefer really balanced, relaxed conversations. I don't mind being a listener, but the best conversations I have are the ones where the other person is actually looking for my take on things. Because in a one-on-one conversation, I probably won't give it very much unless asked. Also it's difficult for me to converse with overly-defensive, overly-sensitive, overly-opinionated and/or really loud people.

Feed me.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hi

I like when people are honest and direct about their intentions, because I am keenly aware of intentions, especially bad intentions having had many myself, and I through humility and openness about our whole selves we can cultivate a trusting, growing relationship.

When I am stressed and upset, it is best for someone to wake me up in the morning with a bucket of water, or when I am standing around fretting to slap me on the backside and remind me that life is still beautiful and I'm missing it by wallowing in self-pity. Please spare me empty words of reassurance or coddling me into a state of depression masked as comfort. Worrying changes nothing and when someone worries it is best that others around them set their attitude straight.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I like when people are honest and direct about their intentions, because I am keenly aware of intentions, especially bad intentions having had many myself, and I through humility and openness about our whole selves we can cultivate a trusting, growing relationship.

When I am stressed and upset, it is best for someone to wake me up in the morning with a bucket of water, or when I am standing around fretting to slap me on the backside and remind me that life is still beautiful and I'm missing it by wallowing in self-pity. Please spare me empty words of reassurance or coddling me into a state of depression masked as comfort. Worrying changes nothing and when someone worries it is best that others around them set their attitude straight.

Thank you, that's good advice! Not always easy for INFs to not try to comfort by empathy (as that is usually what we want), but judging from what I know of the ISTPs in my life, reassuring words to them are exactly that... empty. Better to get them out and about, utilizing their Se, or make them laugh, or try something new.

R

Riva

Whatever you do don't hit their back or pinch an ear to get their attention.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
To communicate.. Whatever you do don't come on with a lot of emotion. Strong emotions freak me out. If it is regarding my own emotions I'd approach it by not even talking about it and then sort of.. discreetly guiding the conversation that way.

And as far as being upset or stressed out, well I've had one piece of advice that has stuck with me, compliments of Dr. Drew: Just work on one thing at a time. If you are unhappy with your work, your car, your relationships, your house, your friends, etc, just work to make one of them better. Sometimes other things will fall in line, for instance I was tired and burnt out of living in a party house. I'd grown to hate my deadbeat roommates and their leech friends, stressed at work, the whole nine yards.

I worked on just getting a new place, and by moving, my angry ex friends did all the work in 'divorcing' me out of the loser circle which I wasn't too concerned about. My unhappiness with work dissolved now that I had extra pay freed up to spend on something other than bills.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi

I'm speaking for myself here with the thought of how I react to strangers and casual acquaintances. After all, everyone starts out that way.

Don't require too much conversation too soon. It's normal for us to not speak or to speak a few words upon the first few meetings. The people I like best are people who don't make me feel uncomfortable about this.

I second Steph about asking us for an opinion but don't be discouraged if we don't have one about what you're asking about. Pick something else. ;)

I would say just be natural and yourself. Realize we listen to conversations and pay attention to eye contact and expressions. You can communicate with us even when you don't speak to us.

Stressed? Listen and make us laugh or distract us. That's enough.

HerrDoktor

MBTI Type
ISTP
If I'm stressed or upset:
Make me some food, don't expect anything in return. And like said, don't approach with emotional energy. just be cool and maybe make a stupid joke or two.

For the communicating part, it really depends on the context. Allthough pushing an istp into any sort of commitment is always a bad idea :).

edit: the good part is, if you handle it the right way, the issue we were having will dissapear in a matter of minutes :)...

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Also,

istp - how to communicate with you?

It's actually really easy. Get to the point of what you're trying to say.

kevrawlings

MBTI Type
ISTP
Just be there and be real. ISTPs are pretty simple. Words and body language work well. jk

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As to the OP, I usually find a blow job and a basket of cheese fries with bacon and ranch extremely comforting. :woot:

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
ISTPs are hot. Hands down. But damn, you guys are trouble! :tongue:

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
When you guys want to be sweet, it is absolutely devastating.
When you guys want to be cold, it is also devastating but in a different way.
Must stay away...away. :run:

lilypad

MBTI Type
ENFJ
When you guys want to be sweet, it is absolutely devastating.
When you guys want to be cold, it is also devastating but in a different way.
Must stay away...away. :run:

So true. Mine when from holding hands and being kind to death threats in 48hrs because he misunderstood something I said. Has never apologized:cry:, even though i tried to hold out an olive branch. WEIRD.

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
Do INTPs/ISTPs have anything in common, besides T-ing? You guys always speak with a looming monotone voice lol. Obviously not all of you, and i could be generalizing from a friend I suspect is ISTP...

tooltime

MBTI Type
istp

- VOCALLY, our creator gave us vocal cords. Please, say it.

- We need chill time. YES. away from people. If you smother us we might leave with out you. We know ourselves very well, and will ask for reassurance only to comfort you. It takes a long time for us to decide, but once its done, its done, by then we don't really require reassurance. We do over analyze important decision to the extent that we may appear wishy washy, were not, we look at all angles before making the correct choice. On non important things spontaneity will arise. If its no big deal, why overwork our brains?