User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default istp - how to communicate with you?

Hi
    Just after some advice from the istps.

How do you best communicate with an istp?

If you are stressed/upset what is the best way to comfort or reassure you?
    x
    “Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.”
    Stacey Charter

MBTI
    ISTP

-in a half hearted, non-commital voice

-just leave me alone while i sort things out in my head

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
    That probably varies from person to person. I usually prefer really balanced, relaxed conversations. I don't mind being a listener, but the best conversations I have are the ones where the other person is actually looking for my take on things. Because in a one-on-one conversation, I probably won't give it very much unless asked. Also it's difficult for me to converse with overly-defensive, overly-sensitive, overly-opinionated and/or really loud people.

x
    Feed me.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    ISTP

Hi

x
    I like when people are honest and direct about their intentions, because I am keenly aware of intentions, especially bad intentions having had many myself, and I through humility and openness about our whole selves we can cultivate a trusting, growing relationship.

When I am stressed and upset, it is best for someone to wake me up in the morning with a bucket of water, or when I am standing around fretting to slap me on the backside and remind me that life is still beautiful and I'm missing it by wallowing in self-pity. Please spare me empty words of reassurance or coddling me into a state of depression masked as comfort. Worrying changes nothing and when someone worries it is best that others around them set their attitude straight.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    I like when people are honest and direct about their intentions, because I am keenly aware of intentions, especially bad intentions having had many myself, and I through humility and openness about our whole selves we can cultivate a trusting, growing relationship.

When I am stressed and upset, it is best for someone to wake me up in the morning with a bucket of water, or when I am standing around fretting to slap me on the backside and remind me that life is still beautiful and I'm missing it by wallowing in self-pity. Please spare me empty words of reassurance or coddling me into a state of depression masked as comfort. Worrying changes nothing and when someone worries it is best that others around them set their attitude straight.
    Thank you, that's good advice! Not always easy for INFs to not try to comfort by empathy (as that is usually what we want), but judging from what I know of the ISTPs in my life, reassuring words to them are exactly that... empty. Better to get them out and about, utilizing their Se, or make them laugh, or try something new.

Riva

Whatever you do don't hit their back or pinch an ear to get their attention.

MBTI
    IsTP

To communicate.. Whatever you do don't come on with a lot of emotion. Strong emotions freak me out. If it is regarding my own emotions I'd approach it by not even talking about it and then sort of.. discreetly guiding the conversation that way.

And as far as being upset or stressed out, well I've had one piece of advice that has stuck with me, compliments of Dr. Drew: Just work on one thing at a time. If you are unhappy with your work, your car, your relationships, your house, your friends, etc, just work to make one of them better. Sometimes other things will fall in line, for instance I was tired and burnt out of living in a party house. I'd grown to hate my deadbeat roommates and their leech friends, stressed at work, the whole nine yards.

I worked on just getting a new place, and by moving, my angry ex friends did all the work in 'divorcing' me out of the loser circle which I wasn't too concerned about. My unhappiness with work dissolved now that I had extra pay freed up to spend on something other than bills.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Hi

x

I'm speaking for myself here with the thought of how I react to strangers and casual acquaintances. After all, everyone starts out that way.

Don't require too much conversation too soon. It's normal for us to not speak or to speak a few words upon the first few meetings. The people I like best are people who don't make me feel uncomfortable about this.

I second Steph about asking us for an opinion but don't be discouraged if we don't have one about what you're asking about. Pick something else.

I would say just be natural and yourself. Realize we listen to conversations and pay attention to eye contact and expressions. You can communicate with us even when you don't speak to us.

Stressed? Listen and make us laugh or distract us. That's enough.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISTP

If I'm stressed or upset:
    Make me some food, don't expect anything in return. And like said, don't approach with emotional energy. just be cool and maybe make a stupid joke or two.

For the communicating part, it really depends on the context. Allthough pushing an istp into any sort of commitment is always a bad idea .

edit: the good part is, if you handle it the right way, the issue we were having will dissapear in a matter of minutes ...

MBTI
    ISTP

Also,

istp - how to communicate with you?
    It's actually really easy. Get to the point of what you're trying to say.