User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I've found that they can be philosophical, but you have to be really sneaky about getting it into their lives. The best way is to make it relevant to them. They don't see how it's relevant to their lives because it isn't immediately obvious how it can be applied. So you take them around in real life, and show them working examples of things we have that stemmed from philosophical understandings (but just explain it, don't let them know it's related to that at first or they'll shut down). Eventually they'll start to realize that these patterns of thought really are relevant to furthering our understanding of reality, and dispelling perceptual illusions. It can take quite a while, and you have to be patient with them, letting them do something else if they start to get bored.

What do you think?
    i see "philosophy" as one end of a gradient... the other being science.

to put it simply, i do not mind philosophy that is so far into the black that all it has almost no correlation to reality, i just have a hard time benefiting from seeing other people do it. i even enjoy participating in it myself when im in the mood... but past mental masturbation, i dont think it serves a purpose.

what i do hate, though, is when a "philosophical" topic is grounded enough for me to know that it's far too useless to get a return on the effort required to discuss it.

MBTI
    ISTP

I totally agree with Grayscale and Randomnity.

It's one of those things that just has no point. Thinking about whether I exist or not, why I'm here, my ultimate purpose, what truth really is... Knowing the answers won't help me be better at life, as far as I can see. But sometimes I can't see past the tip of my nose. Either way, I figure with people having thought about these things for thousands of years before I was around - and they STILL don't have answers...wtf makes me think I'll come up with anything better? I got nothin' and move on to think about something else.

I took a Professional Ethics class and while it was a lot of fun to hear my teacher tell us we all had shitty and inconsistent ethics, I found that ultimately it served little purpose.
    When I talk to philosophy majors and read crap that famous (knowingly shitty) philosophers have written... It ends up frustrating me to no end. They can't just take life for what they see it as. I see land, I walk on it. I feel a breeze, I breathe it in. Does there always have to be something else? I don't think so.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    xNTP

IMO, many famous philosophers led boring, crappy lives. I'll bet it was for those reasons that they started searching for depth and subsequently fabricated it when there wasn't any to be found.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post

They can't just take life for what they see it as. I see land, I walk on it. I feel a breeze, I breathe it in. Does there always have to be something else? I don't think so.
    Like they did before Descartes? What would the world be had he thought that way? Philosophy affects your entire life in its application.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Like they did before Descartes? What would the world be had he thought that way? Philosophy affects your entire life in its application.
    That's for other people to waste their time on. When they come to some conclusion, they can let me know what it is.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I am sure that most of you have seen this:
    With INFJs, ranked first among all the types in using spiritual/philosophical coping resources.

I live with 2 ISTPs, a 17 year old and a 49 year old, and I beg to differ with this conclusion.
    I would like to see "spiritual/philosophical coping resources" defined.
    I'm curious as to exactly how they asked this question.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't really enjoy philosophizing about stuff that cannot be answered. When my train of thought takes me down one of these paths, I think "well, that's a dead end." And that's the end of that.

Regarding spiritual matters, I do find it worthwhile to think about nature, god, life, etc., but I don't categorize that under philosophy.

But I'm not entirely sure I'm ISTP. I just changed it from INTP.

I don't really enjoy philosophizing about stuff that cannot be answered. When my train of thought takes me down one of these paths, I think "well, that's a dead end." And that's the end of that.
    Exactly!

I understand philosophy to some degree (took 2 years of it in college), but what's the point? On the other hand I have some interest in religious, scientific philosophies/theories, ethics etc. But I don't get into 'how do we know we are not just an illusion?' and any of that crap.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I live with 2 ISTPs, a 17 year old and a 49 year old, and I beg to differ with this conclusion.
    I would like to see "spiritual/philosophical coping resources" defined.
    I'm curious as to exactly how they asked this question.
    I tried meditation but it didn't work for me. I couldn't help but fee like a pretentious ass.

MBTI
    ISTP

With INFJs, ranked first among all the types in using spiritual/philosophical coping resources.
    I want the definition of this as well, because I am not a spiritual person in the least (Atheist), and I dislike philosophy.

I understand philosophy to some degree (took 2 years of it in college), but what's the point? On the other hand I have some interest in religious, scientific philosophies/theories, ethics etc.
    Same here.

But I don't get into 'how do we know we are not just an illusion?' and any of that crap.
    I hate that sort of thing, mostly because I think the answers are impossible to prove or disprove, and even if they could be, they wouldn't serve any useful purpose.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%