First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I don't see the problem. Go for it.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    XXFP

That's pretty overwhelming...

So up to the post by YourLocalJesus there were 40 posts aside from my OP.

23 addressed the topic directly.

21 suggested "sure" or "go for it"
    1 suggested "that's a gap, wait some time"
    1 suggested both but seemed to lean on the side of "go for it."

Well, if TypeC says it's ok...
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I suspect if she were 18 and not in high school there wouldn't even be a question.

When I met my husband I was 17 and he was 20. However, I had been in college already for a couple of years so he never had to wonder if it was okay for him to date a high school girl.
    Yeah, that's really all it is. I should have posted the thread title as "college student dating high school student?" If she was 17 and in college I wouldn't care really.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I know lots of guys in my university who date high school girls (Some of which who were in the 10th grade!) and 18 and 21 isn't too bad considering guys are usually older anyway. Also, if you follow the half your age plus seven rule, you can date as young as 17.5

However, a high school mentality is a lot different than a University one, waiting a year would probably make a big difference if you didn't mind. Still I think it's fine. Go for it!

Perhaps I'm projecting how I was in HS and comparing how I am now. It's not that different, but it's pretty significant. But that's not to say that I could have been more mature at that age...

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    I think we all know that the most important relationship decider here is type.
    WINS THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It's charming you have given this so much thought, but the age gap is relatively small & she is of legal age. It seems fine to me. Given the time of year, I imagine their HS days are nearly over anyway.
    A month.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I didn't think it was a joke, but I am genuinely shocked that anyone might consider this unsavory. It's only three years' difference between adults. If you end a relationship over this issue, you might come to regret it when you're a few years older and realize how little difference this makes.
    As I said, I'd happily date someone who is 26, just the HS thing.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Wait 2 months for them to finish high school.

Then they'll be in your age bracket

MBTI
    INFP

Consider the life experience to be had.

You have to live to grow. True, you can grow without dating her, but you might learn a lot about life and about yourself.

The question is whether or not you really want to be in a relationship with her.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I've read nothing but part of the OP, but here's the rule:

Divide by 2, plus 7.

Once you're old enough to bone, this golden rule works pretty much all the time.

14? 14.

18? 16.

22? 18.

30? 22.

40? 27.

See, it works.

It's God's math.

That rule is a total bullshit. I think that the gap had not to be considered as an important criteria in relationships.

lol America

I went for a 16yr old when I was 18, same diff

I'm also almost 21 now and wouldn't hesitate a moment on an 18 yr old if I actually liked them

Maturity is relative... a lot of older people are jaded
    Yes, that fixation about the age is typically american... Damn, man, YOU ARE JUST 3 YEARS OLDER THAN HER! You could even hit on 15-16 years old girl if it were your pleasure to do. Maybe you would need to see if she's 18 or not, but even if she is not...age of consent is a pure relative and abstract rule. It is high in anglo-saxons countries, between 16-19 (seen on wikipedia) but in european and latin coutries, it's different. It 15 in France, 13 is Spain, 14 in Portugal, 14 in Brasil, 12 in Mexico, 13 in Argentina, 14 in Germany, it's also 13 in Iran, 13 in Senegal, 15 in Laos and Cambodia 14 in China...Seriously your doubts and unhealthy reflexions are laughable! To sodomise an 18 years-old girl is not a crime, same for a 17 years old girl. And if a girl is not mature...seriously, to be mature is her buisness, and she can't mature in relationships if she have not relationships.:rolli:

The age is BTW not important in maturity especially if you fear "to smash her heart in thousands little pieces": sensitivity is a vital part of what make some girls as they are, and if they are too much sensitive at 15, they will be too much sensitive at 45, maturity has nothing to do with it. The most laughable in your post is that you think about the break up of the relationship even before you have actually begin it... If you don't know how to break up a date, there's tons of methods with proven efficiency to do that: to say it bluntly by a phone call, to send her an e-mail with fun smileys to make her laugh and play dow the situation... Theses kind of shit.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    18 and 21 don't sound so bad on paper. Especially when you are in your golden years looking back on your youth. 30 and 18 or even 30 and 21 sound worse.

But I remember when I was back in college and thought it was strange that people in college were dating high schoolers. It just seemed like a very significant demarcation college/highschool. There was a 22 year old woman I worked with and she was so depressed after breaking up with her pot dealing high school senior boyfriend that she cut off her hair (she was ENTP). I remember thinking "man, what a loser". Perhaps judgemental, but true. I didn't like her to being with so that probably had something to do with it.

But, the older you get the less of a difference those 3 years seem to make.
    Yeah, the demarcation thing is what I was getting at. But it's relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Go for it. Make sure they're 18 like was previous mentioned. Just be ready for one of them to fall in love with you. 18 year old girls going straight to college are unpredictable and likely to change over time. Feed them enough, water every day, and you should be okay.

Are you even looking for something long term? Be sure you're clear about intentions with them from the get go if you want to prevent future HUGE issues.

And if you want to prevent issues like you used to have about sexual relations, then I would recommend making sure that's not all they're after. You're not a peace of meat!
    R
    O
    E

See, I'm trying to make some?

Looking for long term? Mmm maybe. I already have my stock speech about commitments on the ready if/when it becomes time. I doubt I want to do the whole long-distance deal when they go off in the fall. And honestly, the freshman girls I knew certainly didn't like having out-of-state boyfriends when they showed up at university.

I'll let them know this before hand, as necessary.

*end typical anti-entanglement ISTP broadcast*

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I've read nothing but part of the OP, but here's the rule:

Divide by 2, plus 7.

Once you're old enough to bone, this golden rule works pretty much all the time.

14? 14.

18? 16.

22? 18.

30? 22.

40? 27.

See, it works.

It's God's math.

Neat!

(but credit to forever jung for posting it first)

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    The most laughable in your post is that you think about the break up of the relationship even before you have actually begin it... If you don't know how to break up a date, there's tons of methods with proven efficiency to do that: to say it bluntly by a phone call, to send her an e-mail with fun smileys to make her laugh and play dow the situation... Theses kind of shit.
    Lol dude chill out if I have reservations I'll just let her know and GTFO.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post

Yes, that fixation about the age is typically american... Damn, man, YOU ARE JUST 3 YEARS OLDER THAN HER! You could even hit on 15-16 years old girl if it were your pleasure to do. Maybe you would need to see if she's 18 or not, but even if she is not...age of consent is a pure relative and abstract rule. It is high in anglo-saxons countries, between 16-19 (seen on wikipedia) but in european and latin coutries, it's different. It 15 in France, 13 is Spain, 14 in Portugal, ... Seriously your doubts and unhealthy reflexions are laughable! To sodomise an 18 years-old girl is not a crime, same for a 17 years old girl. And if a girl is not mature...seriously, to be mature is her buisness, and she can't mature in relationships if she have not relationships.:rolli:
    Maybe you're right, it's a cultural thing.

Still, I stay away from 15 year olds.

PS. Sodomy isn't illegal here.

Just in a few states...