• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP's as auto mechanics

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have recently met and gotten to know two auto mechanics. I think both of them are ISTP's. I knew another ISTP mechanic several years ago. I have read MBTI descriptions that connect ISTP's with this profession.

Obviously, you guys are capable of doing well in a wide variety of careers (like every other type), but using this career as an example, I'd like to hear in your words why this career (or a similar career) is appealing? What would you like about it?

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
I think it's cause we are good at it. For the most part. ISTP's can look at an engine, weapon, etc. and figure out how it works without any help. I don't know why, but it is a common theme with ISTP's. I like to analyze things, and I don't have much patience for theories so it's natural for me to analyze an object or machine of some sort. This makes me inclined to fix or improve/customize things, or at least reserve the ability to do so. Also, I don't know about other ISTP's, but I always score really high in spacial awareness when I take aptitude tests. So, mechanics are probably just the most common way that ISTP's use this seemingly innate ability.

sculpting

My ISTP ex could fix anything. Any broken machine could be mended. No exaggeration-anything could be fixed.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Benny, spacial awareness is an area I score high in as well. The answer you've provided rings so true and clear...can't think of anything to add. :)

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
An ISTP will take apart a radio and put it back together with extra pieces left out. Not because he forgot them, but because the radio is more efficient without them.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for the replies. All this rings true with the ISTP's I have known in my life. I remember one friend working on my car and kind of changing the way it was originally. I was like, "Wait. If it came that way, then obviously we don't want to change that, right?" He said something like, "Trust me. You're better off the way it is now." He could fix a lot of things - very impressive. What I didn't like sometimes is that everything he owned was "jerry rigged" in some way. He couldn't just buy something new and leave it alone. LOL.

Anyways, another question. Do you guys "perform" better when you are alone? I know this is true for most INTP's. When I'm analyzing things on my own, things seem crystal clear. When I've got others breathing down my neck and asking all kinds of questions, I lose my focus. Reason I ask is that the mechanics I know are all really cool guys, but they kind of give off the vibe that they want to be left alone a lot. I know that they're OK with me and I'm OK with them, but they'll sometimes say something like, "I don't know. Go in the office and ask Bill. He'll let you know everything you need to know." I kind of see myself in them. You can talk to them for a short bit, but if they're under the hood or even at home working on something, better to just leave them alone.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Thanks for the replies. All this rings true with the ISTP's I have known in my life. I remember one friend working on my car and kind of changing the way it was originally. I was like, "Wait. If it came that way, then obviously we don't want to change that, right?" He said something like, "Trust me. You're better off the way it is now." He could fix a lot of things - very impressive. What I didn't like sometimes is that everything he owned was "jerry rigged" in some way. He couldn't just buy something new and leave it alone. LOL.

Anyways, another question. Do you guys "perform" better when you are alone? I know this is true for most INTP's. When I'm analyzing things on my own, things seem crystal clear. When I've got others breathing down my neck and asking all kinds of questions, I lose my focus. Reason I ask is that the mechanics I know are all really cool guys, but they kind of give off the vibe that they want to be left alone a lot. I know that they're OK with me and I'm OK with them, but they'll sometimes say something like, "I don't know. Go in the office and ask Bill. He'll let you know everything you need to know." I kind of see myself in them. You can talk to them for a short bit, but if they're under the hood or even at home working on something, better to just leave them alone.

Yes. I don't like people breathing down my neck or asking me a bunch of questions about what I'm doing. Family and friends usually just kind of disappear when I'm focused on something. I don't even realize until I ask them later what's wrong, and they tell me I was being a jerk and giving them looks like I wanted to kill them. People that know me have learned to just get out of my way.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Right now I'm doing handyman work. I'm taking a year off college - it's not a career (yet...if ever), but it is my primary source of income at the moment.

I like doing the work because I'm generally pretty good at it, for one, so it's rewarding. I enjoy the whole process - picking out materials and figuring out how much to use and how to do it. And the actual building or repair is nice too. I'm definitely not a high class carpenter, (if anything, a very rough one, I don't churn out anything but lap and butt joints really) but I grew up around art and antiques, so I appreciate good work.*

An under-rated skill in skilled trade is communication. You really have to be a clear communicator and good listener to make sure you do what the client wants and the client understands what is involved.

I'm a decent auto mechanic. I've done a lot of maintenance and repair on my car. It's a practical skill which has saved me lot of cash and given me some entertainment. My car runs great. Shame she's such an ugly girl. Time has not been easy on the paint and body work.

I bought a little welder today - I'm going to cut out some cancer in the quarter panel and weld in a new piece. :laugh: I just tried my first attempt at welding an hour ago in the driveway...I have some practice to go before I do anything but create blobs of molten steel.

*Back in the 18th century, quality furniture was made with such precision and skill you can't compare the cheap IKEA that is churned out now. Good furniture makers actually designed joints to retain their strength - or even become tighter - 30 to 50 years after the piece was made; they factored in how wood would shrink over time. That's why this stuff is around 300 years later.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Also, with some work I'm more meticulous than with others, but no matter what something unexpected will pop up and you'll have to figure something to make it work. Being adaptable is a good thing, and this problem solving of all the little problems is really what distinguishes my talent. It's one thing if everything goes together like legos - but things aren't that easy.

Adaptability aside, sometimes it irks me if I make a plan, for a storage shelf for instance, that produces very little scrap lumber - maybe just a few short pieces - and then the client gets flaky and changes the whole plan in the middle. Overall, it's more hours for me on the clock, but I still have a thing for efficient builds.

Other times I don't do any planning and just start tearing stuff up. This is pretty much when I'm working for fun instead of profit. Sometimes it seems more efficient to use physical horsepower instead of mental horsepower and just start doing stuff. Normally turns out alright.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't do as much auto stuff as I used to. Lack of a garage space living in the city probably has a lot to do with that.

Lots of maintenance type work as to plumbing, electrical, painting, tiling, refinishing. Repairing appliances, ect. Helped build a couple of houses when I was younger.

I haven't done any audio work on a car in a long time, but used to enjoy installing stereo systems. That interest shifted to home theatre. Nothing elaborate, I tend to go for the most bang for a buck.

Even though more of a systems person now, my favorite part of the work is troubleshooting and repairing PC's, Servers, Printers, etc. It's nice when those opportunities come up.

And for Bamboo, I've yet to meet an ISTP that didn't take at least a year or two or three off from college. Comes with the territory. And for whatever reason? It tend to work out in the long run surprisingly good. ;)

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i would think that it is working solo and/or relatively unsupervised + solving a problem that appeals to istps. it seems like it is a very SP mentality to say "judge me by my results not my methods." which lends itself to more solo type work.

i don't have any interest in auto mechanics, but i definitely relate to having an area of expertise and then just being set loose on it.

Lots of maintenance type work as to plumbing, electrical, painting, tiling, refinishing. Repairing appliances, ect. Helped build a couple of houses when I was younger.

that is what i am interested in too. i was an electrician, and then an equipment/crane operator, and later ran construction crews. so i think structural type work is a lot more exciting to me than mechanical.

sometimes it irks me if I make a plan, for a storage shelf for instance, that produces very little scrap lumber - maybe just a few short pieces - and then the client gets flaky and changes the whole plan in the middle. Overall, it's more hours for me on the clock, but I still have a thing for efficient builds.

Other times I don't do any planning and just start tearing stuff up. This is pretty much when I'm working for fun instead of profit. Sometimes it seems more efficient to use physical horsepower instead of mental horsepower and just start doing stuff. Normally turns out alright.

i am the same way, both ways seem like they have huge merits. i think it is as much about what mindset you are in when you start working as anything.

as far as efficiency, i know sometimes i am obsessed with efficiency and hate any sidetracks or wasted energy/time. but then sometimes someone will change the project on me and it is a sort of welcome relief - it can be a lot of fun and really mentally stimulating to have to adapt to these new parameters that were forced on you out of the blue. sometimes that thinking on your feet is just what i need, it is real invigorating.
so yeah, i think it depends hugely on your mindset going into it, your state of mind.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have recently met and gotten to know two auto mechanics. I think both of them are ISTP's. I knew another ISTP mechanic several years ago. I have read MBTI descriptions that connect ISTP's with this profession.

Obviously, you guys are capable of doing well in a wide variety of careers (like every other type), but using this career as an example, I'd like to hear in your words why this career (or a similar career) is appealing? What would you like about it?
My Dad is an ISTP and a mechanic. However, he doesn't work on cars; he's a diesel mechanic and works on heavy machinery (but he can fix pretty much anything with an engine!). It made me laugh the first time I read that the ISTP type is sometimes known as 'the mechanic' :D

Its interesting to see how my Dad approaches his job. Its a logical and technical process, yet has such an instinctive, artistic quality to it - and he certainly has the gift for it. It makes me see the artisan in the ISTP. :yes:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was 22 I enrolled in school to become an auto mechanic but bailed. Went to college on a Psych/Cognitive Science degree. Didn't finish. Enjoyed it but I was bored. I'm now enrolled in a motorcycle mechanics school.

I've always been drawn to the field in some degree. Always liked learning about it because I don't think you can stop learning about it. It's challenging and humbling that way.

Heihachi Hayashida

MBTI Type
INTP
I managed to take apart my computer and place the parts back in their places. Not a difficult task I must say. I was nervous, to say the least.

flybittensavage

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes I do feel drawn to auto mechanics--mechanics of all kinds: aircraft, marine, auto, but most significantly, motorcycle mechanics. (My dad is ISTP as well and he was an aircraft mechanic). The book, "Shop Class as Soul Craft" really opened my eyes and made sense to me. For the past 15 years I've been trying to hammer myself into "knowledge worker" type careers (journalism, public relations, marketing, teaching, business management), but I have been completely unhappy doing so. I've ignored the "craftsman" part of me. Now it's time for a career change and to do it right. Ryan

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yes I do feel drawn to auto mechanics--mechanics of all kinds: aircraft, marine, auto, but most significantly, motorcycle mechanics. (My dad is ISTP as well and he was an aircraft mechanic). The book, "Shop Class as Soul Craft" really opened my eyes and made sense to me. For the past 15 years I've been trying to hammer myself into "knowledge worker" type careers (journalism, public relations, marketing, teaching, business management), but I have been completely unhappy doing so. I've ignored the "craftsman" part of me. Now it's time for a career change and to do it right. Ryan

same exact thing is happening with me right now...freaky deaky.

Homer

MBTI Type
ISTJ
i'm almost and ISTP, and my wife says I am.
I am a truck/coach mechanic and have my automotive licence too.

when I'm working on trucks, a lurking customer or service manager will usually get comment about slowing me down and spectators cause mistakes.
once I had a customer right next to me everystep of the job, and I "accidentally" slipped off a bolt with a big 3/4" bar and got him right in the forehead with my elbow, he actually applogized for being in my way and never watched me again working on his truck:happy2:

I really enjoy when i'm on afternoons and get to be the foreman of a 2 man shift. I get to make shite happen, and I even put all the phone lines on hold sometimes:D

definitely work best on my own , only time I need a manual is for diagnostic codes. when I used to go 4wheeling all the time, i would literally push people out of the way when they were not fixing their broken trucks quick enough. the only other person that could relate was the other mechanic in the group. most people think I'm an ashole as a mechanic, even my coworkers, but if there is a problem i'm usually the first one they ask;)(I'm the youngest tech in the shop)

I tend to change/make improvements in my own vehicles, but usually they are held together by as little as possible.

but my wifes car is always perfect!

LeftKick

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5 sp
I've always taken things apart to find out how they work,and to figure out how to make them better. I'd rather spend 4 hours building a part for my car than buy a ready made part for $5 at an auto part store. Remember when Tom Hanks made fire on the island with stuff he found in "Cast Away" and jumped around by himself saying "I made fire!"? That's what I would have done.
As far as being a mechanic goes,I felt it was a natural progression for me. Started with stuff (Like my moms curling iron) around the house growing up,then my bicycle,then minibikes mopeds and go-carts, and now cars and motorcycles. Fixing complex machines and making them better is what I'm good at. I never replace a part on my vehicles unless it is an upgrade.
I worked in a dealership for 10 years, but had to quit because I couldn't deal with the politics of the office staff and the management. I just wanted to fix cars. i didn't want to participate in the "Tropical dress up day" or "Happy boost morale pep talk day" that the managers thought was so important, and I let them know it. Now I'm in a small specialized shop and am allowed to fix the cars in my own way,and it's perfect.
My family and close friends know when I'm working on a project to just leave me be. I may appear to be mad, frustrated and upset, but it's just how I work out the problems of the job. It's actually relaxing in a way and as soon as I'm done I'm OK to interact with again.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In your experience, are ESTP's not as good at this kind of stuff? Just about every ISTP I've known has been pretty good in this area, but a couple of the ESTP's were lost when it came to fixing a car or something of that nature (like myself).