User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default ISTP's as auto mechanics

I have recently met and gotten to know two auto mechanics. I think both of them are ISTP's. I knew another ISTP mechanic several years ago. I have read MBTI descriptions that connect ISTP's with this profession.

Obviously, you guys are capable of doing well in a wide variety of careers (like every other type), but using this career as an example, I'd like to hear in your words why this career (or a similar career) is appealing? What would you like about it?
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I think it's cause we are good at it. For the most part. ISTP's can look at an engine, weapon, etc. and figure out how it works without any help. I don't know why, but it is a common theme with ISTP's. I like to analyze things, and I don't have much patience for theories so it's natural for me to analyze an object or machine of some sort. This makes me inclined to fix or improve/customize things, or at least reserve the ability to do so. Also, I don't know about other ISTP's, but I always score really high in spacial awareness when I take aptitude tests. So, mechanics are probably just the most common way that ISTP's use this seemingly innate ability.

My ISTP ex could fix anything. Any broken machine could be mended. No exaggeration-anything could be fixed.

MBTI
    ISTP

Because fixing things is fun.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Benny, spacial awareness is an area I score high in as well. The answer you've provided rings so true and clear...can't think of anything to add.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

An ISTP will take apart a radio and put it back together with extra pieces left out. Not because he forgot them, but because the radio is more efficient without them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Thanks for the replies. All this rings true with the ISTP's I have known in my life. I remember one friend working on my car and kind of changing the way it was originally. I was like, "Wait. If it came that way, then obviously we don't want to change that, right?" He said something like, "Trust me. You're better off the way it is now." He could fix a lot of things - very impressive. What I didn't like sometimes is that everything he owned was "jerry rigged" in some way. He couldn't just buy something new and leave it alone. LOL.

Anyways, another question. Do you guys "perform" better when you are alone? I know this is true for most INTP's. When I'm analyzing things on my own, things seem crystal clear. When I've got others breathing down my neck and asking all kinds of questions, I lose my focus. Reason I ask is that the mechanics I know are all really cool guys, but they kind of give off the vibe that they want to be left alone a lot. I know that they're OK with me and I'm OK with them, but they'll sometimes say something like, "I don't know. Go in the office and ask Bill. He'll let you know everything you need to know." I kind of see myself in them. You can talk to them for a short bit, but if they're under the hood or even at home working on something, better to just leave them alone.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Thanks for the replies. All this rings true with the ISTP's I have known in my life. I remember one friend working on my car and kind of changing the way it was originally. I was like, "Wait. If it came that way, then obviously we don't want to change that, right?" He said something like, "Trust me. You're better off the way it is now." He could fix a lot of things - very impressive. What I didn't like sometimes is that everything he owned was "jerry rigged" in some way. He couldn't just buy something new and leave it alone. LOL.

Anyways, another question. Do you guys "perform" better when you are alone? I know this is true for most INTP's. When I'm analyzing things on my own, things seem crystal clear. When I've got others breathing down my neck and asking all kinds of questions, I lose my focus. Reason I ask is that the mechanics I know are all really cool guys, but they kind of give off the vibe that they want to be left alone a lot. I know that they're OK with me and I'm OK with them, but they'll sometimes say something like, "I don't know. Go in the office and ask Bill. He'll let you know everything you need to know." I kind of see myself in them. You can talk to them for a short bit, but if they're under the hood or even at home working on something, better to just leave them alone.
    Yes. I don't like people breathing down my neck or asking me a bunch of questions about what I'm doing. Family and friends usually just kind of disappear when I'm focused on something. I don't even realize until I ask them later what's wrong, and they tell me I was being a jerk and giving them looks like I wanted to kill them. People that know me have learned to just get out of my way.

MBTI
    XXFP

Right now I'm doing handyman work. I'm taking a year off college - it's not a career (yet...if ever), but it is my primary source of income at the moment.

I like doing the work because I'm generally pretty good at it, for one, so it's rewarding. I enjoy the whole process - picking out materials and figuring out how much to use and how to do it. And the actual building or repair is nice too. I'm definitely not a high class carpenter, (if anything, a very rough one, I don't churn out anything but lap and butt joints really) but I grew up around art and antiques, so I appreciate good work.*

An under-rated skill in skilled trade is communication. You really have to be a clear communicator and good listener to make sure you do what the client wants and the client understands what is involved.

I'm a decent auto mechanic. I've done a lot of maintenance and repair on my car. It's a practical skill which has saved me lot of cash and given me some entertainment. My car runs great. Shame she's such an ugly girl. Time has not been easy on the paint and body work.

I bought a little welder today - I'm going to cut out some cancer in the quarter panel and weld in a new piece. I just tried my first attempt at welding an hour ago in the driveway...I have some practice to go before I do anything but create blobs of molten steel.

*Back in the 18th century, quality furniture was made with such precision and skill you can't compare the cheap IKEA that is churned out now. Good furniture makers actually designed joints to retain their strength - or even become tighter - 30 to 50 years after the piece was made; they factored in how wood would shrink over time. That's why this stuff is around 300 years later.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Also, with some work I'm more meticulous than with others, but no matter what something unexpected will pop up and you'll have to figure something to make it work. Being adaptable is a good thing, and this problem solving of all the little problems is really what distinguishes my talent. It's one thing if everything goes together like legos - but things aren't that easy.

Adaptability aside, sometimes it irks me if I make a plan, for a storage shelf for instance, that produces very little scrap lumber - maybe just a few short pieces - and then the client gets flaky and changes the whole plan in the middle. Overall, it's more hours for me on the clock, but I still have a thing for efficient builds.

Other times I don't do any planning and just start tearing stuff up. This is pretty much when I'm working for fun instead of profit. Sometimes it seems more efficient to use physical horsepower instead of mental horsepower and just start doing stuff. Normally turns out alright.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.