User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I don't do as much auto stuff as I used to. Lack of a garage space living in the city probably has a lot to do with that.

Lots of maintenance type work as to plumbing, electrical, painting, tiling, refinishing. Repairing appliances, ect. Helped build a couple of houses when I was younger.

I haven't done any audio work on a car in a long time, but used to enjoy installing stereo systems. That interest shifted to home theatre. Nothing elaborate, I tend to go for the most bang for a buck.

Even though more of a systems person now, my favorite part of the work is troubleshooting and repairing PC's, Servers, Printers, etc. It's nice when those opportunities come up.

And for Bamboo, I've yet to meet an ISTP that didn't take at least a year or two or three off from college. Comes with the territory. And for whatever reason? It tend to work out in the long run surprisingly good.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i would think that it is working solo and/or relatively unsupervised + solving a problem that appeals to istps. it seems like it is a very SP mentality to say "judge me by my results not my methods." which lends itself to more solo type work.

i don't have any interest in auto mechanics, but i definitely relate to having an area of expertise and then just being set loose on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Lots of maintenance type work as to plumbing, electrical, painting, tiling, refinishing. Repairing appliances, ect. Helped build a couple of houses when I was younger.
    that is what i am interested in too. i was an electrician, and then an equipment/crane operator, and later ran construction crews. so i think structural type work is a lot more exciting to me than mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    sometimes it irks me if I make a plan, for a storage shelf for instance, that produces very little scrap lumber - maybe just a few short pieces - and then the client gets flaky and changes the whole plan in the middle. Overall, it's more hours for me on the clock, but I still have a thing for efficient builds.

Other times I don't do any planning and just start tearing stuff up. This is pretty much when I'm working for fun instead of profit. Sometimes it seems more efficient to use physical horsepower instead of mental horsepower and just start doing stuff. Normally turns out alright.
    i am the same way, both ways seem like they have huge merits. i think it is as much about what mindset you are in when you start working as anything.

as far as efficiency, i know sometimes i am obsessed with efficiency and hate any sidetracks or wasted energy/time. but then sometimes someone will change the project on me and it is a sort of welcome relief - it can be a lot of fun and really mentally stimulating to have to adapt to these new parameters that were forced on you out of the blue. sometimes that thinking on your feet is just what i need, it is real invigorating.
    so yeah, i think it depends hugely on your mindset going into it, your state of mind.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I have recently met and gotten to know two auto mechanics. I think both of them are ISTP's. I knew another ISTP mechanic several years ago. I have read MBTI descriptions that connect ISTP's with this profession.

Obviously, you guys are capable of doing well in a wide variety of careers (like every other type), but using this career as an example, I'd like to hear in your words why this career (or a similar career) is appealing? What would you like about it?
    My Dad is an ISTP and a mechanic. However, he doesn't work on cars; he's a diesel mechanic and works on heavy machinery (but he can fix pretty much anything with an engine!). It made me laugh the first time I read that the ISTP type is sometimes known as 'the mechanic'

Its interesting to see how my Dad approaches his job. Its a logical and technical process, yet has such an instinctive, artistic quality to it - and he certainly has the gift for it. It makes me see the artisan in the ISTP.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

When I was 22 I enrolled in school to become an auto mechanic but bailed. Went to college on a Psych/Cognitive Science degree. Didn't finish. Enjoyed it but I was bored. I'm now enrolled in a motorcycle mechanics school.

I've always been drawn to the field in some degree. Always liked learning about it because I don't think you can stop learning about it. It's challenging and humbling that way.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTP

I managed to take apart my computer and place the parts back in their places. Not a difficult task I must say. I was nervous, to say the least.

MBTI
    ISTP

Yes I do feel drawn to auto mechanics--mechanics of all kinds: aircraft, marine, auto, but most significantly, motorcycle mechanics. (My dad is ISTP as well and he was an aircraft mechanic). The book, "Shop Class as Soul Craft" really opened my eyes and made sense to me. For the past 15 years I've been trying to hammer myself into "knowledge worker" type careers (journalism, public relations, marketing, teaching, business management), but I have been completely unhappy doing so. I've ignored the "craftsman" part of me. Now it's time for a career change and to do it right. Ryan

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by flybittensavage View Post
    Yes I do feel drawn to auto mechanics--mechanics of all kinds: aircraft, marine, auto, but most significantly, motorcycle mechanics. (My dad is ISTP as well and he was an aircraft mechanic). The book, "Shop Class as Soul Craft" really opened my eyes and made sense to me. For the past 15 years I've been trying to hammer myself into "knowledge worker" type careers (journalism, public relations, marketing, teaching, business management), but I have been completely unhappy doing so. I've ignored the "craftsman" part of me. Now it's time for a career change and to do it right. Ryan
    same exact thing is happening with me right now...freaky deaky.

MBTI
    ISTJ

i'm almost and ISTP, and my wife says I am.
    I am a truck/coach mechanic and have my automotive licence too.

when I'm working on trucks, a lurking customer or service manager will usually get comment about slowing me down and spectators cause mistakes.
    once I had a customer right next to me everystep of the job, and I "accidentally" slipped off a bolt with a big 3/4" bar and got him right in the forehead with my elbow, he actually applogized for being in my way and never watched me again working on his truck

I really enjoy when i'm on afternoons and get to be the foreman of a 2 man shift. I get to make shite happen, and I even put all the phone lines on hold sometimes

definitely work best on my own , only time I need a manual is for diagnostic codes. when I used to go 4wheeling all the time, i would literally push people out of the way when they were not fixing their broken trucks quick enough. the only other person that could relate was the other mechanic in the group. most people think I'm an ashole as a mechanic, even my coworkers, but if there is a problem i'm usually the first one they ask(I'm the youngest tech in the shop)

I tend to change/make improvements in my own vehicles, but usually they are held together by as little as possible.

but my wifes car is always perfect!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp

I've always taken things apart to find out how they work,and to figure out how to make them better. I'd rather spend 4 hours building a part for my car than buy a ready made part for $5 at an auto part store. Remember when Tom Hanks made fire on the island with stuff he found in "Cast Away" and jumped around by himself saying "I made fire!"? That's what I would have done.
    As far as being a mechanic goes,I felt it was a natural progression for me. Started with stuff (Like my moms curling iron) around the house growing up,then my bicycle,then minibikes mopeds and go-carts, and now cars and motorcycles. Fixing complex machines and making them better is what I'm good at. I never replace a part on my vehicles unless it is an upgrade.
    I worked in a dealership for 10 years, but had to quit because I couldn't deal with the politics of the office staff and the management. I just wanted to fix cars. i didn't want to participate in the "Tropical dress up day" or "Happy boost morale pep talk day" that the managers thought was so important, and I let them know it. Now I'm in a small specialized shop and am allowed to fix the cars in my own way,and it's perfect.
    My family and close friends know when I'm working on a project to just leave me be. I may appear to be mad, frustrated and upset, but it's just how I work out the problems of the job. It's actually relaxing in a way and as soon as I'm done I'm OK to interact with again.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

In your experience, are ESTP's not as good at this kind of stuff? Just about every ISTP I've known has been pretty good in this area, but a couple of the ESTP's were lost when it came to fixing a car or something of that nature (like myself).
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay