• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Ask an ISFP!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually have better long-term memory than short-term. I can remember lots of details of good experiences and trivial facts about a lot of things. But if you asked me this morning to pick you up from the store this afternoon, you better call me again when you need to be picked up. :blush:

Can I take them to see it at a theater in a really bad part of town? :whistling:

Absolutely. And in the most violent scenes, be sure to lean over and say "We should try out those moves on each other after the movie!"

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Memory! Like are you good at games like this:

Memory Blocks 12x5

No. It's boring.

Also, I have a relative who is intelligent, and unusually perceptive in unusual ways, but who scored very low on memory portions of state testing in school, finally turning out to have a learning disability affecting that score. My guess is that although memory could beinfluenced by how driven or motivated a person is, it's likely separate from preferences expressed through a personality type test. Besides, all sorts of physical/medical conditions alter memory ability.

That was a boring answer, wasn't it! ;)

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
do isfp have a good memory

Well, I have a great long term memory, but my "right here" memory is kinda lacking. I can remember every little detail that I read in my text book, or what someone was wearing on a certain day. Though, just like Jeffster said, I will probably forget to pick you up if you need a ride. So I'd say I have a very photographic memory when I see it, not necessarily when I hear it.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
How do you guys/gals deal with conflicts in a relationship?

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Do you like cookies?

Homemade oatmeal chocolate chips please.

I read in one personality profile that unlike the other SP types, ISFPs "seek life-long monogamous relationships". To what extent is this a load of BS?

This is true for me. However it took awhile to find that guy. If I wasn't so serious when I was younger I would of gone on more dates.

My take, from my experience:

========

An ISFP is easygoing and can adapt to a variety of traits or types as long as there's caring.

Relationship challenges might stem from the partner appreciating having the ISFP's (a) understanding nature and (b) physical nature focused on them, but underneath, if the partner had thought about it, they really wanted or needed to be with a different kind of person.

It's not going to work well to get into a relationship with an ISFP and then try to change them. They are not, and are not interested in becoming:

-polished in a classic and traditional manner
-an SJ household manager
-a driven, corporate career person
-only infrequently physically affectionate
-wealth-oriented
-prestige-oriented

It's also not going to work well over the long term to get into a relationship with an ISFP because they seem like someone who can be dominated.

To an ISFP, a great relationship would include equality, playfulness, sharing, and caring.

========

I think it may take ISFPs a while to develop a good sense of who they are.

+1 Excellent and very accurate information. :nice:

do isfp have a good memory

I remember what is important and of an interest to me. Repetion and experience are good for retaining information. However I do need reminders for things that are not routine or written down.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do I persuade an ISFP?

I keep myself shut inside my room because I feel I can do the most inside. The ISFP is infuriated and tells me to walk a bit outside. I don't see the need though. How do I persuade her that I'm very well healthy. I spend a few hours reading outside actually.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I keep myself shut inside my room because I feel I can do the most inside. The ISFP is infuriated and tells me to walk a bit outside. I don't see the need though. How do I persuade her that I'm very well healthy. I spend a few hours reading outside actually.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
How do you guys/gals deal with conflicts in a relationship?

I'm having a hard time answering this one. Conflicts are different and the people involved are different, therefore I'd deal with them differently.

If you want to explore one particular type of conflict, you're welcome to elaborate.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP

This is your mom? (guessing)

I did the same thing with my kids. A required ~ 1 hour of time (and hopefully exercise) outdoors daily. I did get eminently sick of the arguments about it, and the trying to get out of it, but it was the only way to get them out into the vitamin D, get their muscles used , keep their heart even somewhat healthy, and get their progressively more nearsighted eyes off the close-up stuff and looking out long-distance once in a while.

When they were younger I would volunteer to play Frisbee or throw footballs or wiffle balls or practice kickball, and when even younger I took them to playgrounds almost daily or had them join me on walks through natural places. Skateboards. Rollerblades. Digging holes. Water guns. When older, one took up running for a while, the other set up experiments or related to animals. Whatever works.

While you're in our care, your health is in our care, and not just the vaccinations and dental visits. We hope that you form healthy habits that will serve you well. And a love/interest/respect for nature would be awfully nice too.

If it's boring on the actual planet you live on, get creative and figure out ways to make it not boring.

Not what you wanted to hear? ;)

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have a hard time grasping the differences between ISFPs and INFPs. Yeah, I get the part about thinking in concrete terms vs. thinking in theoretical terms, but I'm sure that's not the one and only difference between us. So, I hope you don't get annoyed with all my questions:

Do you write about your feelings a lot?

Do you like to read or is it a waste of time?

Do you have good aim?

How do you know you're not an N?

Does it drive you crazy to not be physically active, or are you pretty content to sit around doing (what looks like) nothing, for long periods of time? Or is it more balanced?

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm having a hard time answering this one. Conflicts are different and the people involved are different, therefore I'd deal with them differently.

If you want to explore one particular type of conflict, you're welcome to elaborate.

I had a falling out with an ISFP -- we are no longer friend. The ISFP would often approach me for help whenever he has a technical problem. The ISFP seems to take it really personally that I was busy and could not accommodate. Whenever I tried to discuss this, the ISFP would take it as a personal attack and I had to basically avoid the topic.

Do ISFPs really take these types of conflict personally or is he trying to manipulate me?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

Nope

I like to read when I have the time, not sure what that says about the priority I give it.

Do you have good aim?

With some things I'm not too bad.

I dunno, faith. :D

Does it drive you crazy to not be physically active, or are you pretty content to sit around doing (what looks like) nothing, for long periods of time? Or is it more balanced?

I like both.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I had a falling out with an ISFP -- we are no longer friend. The ISFP would often approach me for help whenever he has a technical problem. The ISFP seems to take it really personally that I was busy and could not accommodate. Whenever I tried to discuss this, the ISFP would take it as a personal attack and I had to basically avoid the topic.

Do ISFPs really take these types of conflict personally or is he trying to manipulate me?

I often felt hurt by my ex's clear impatience with my more 'beginner' computer questions. It seemed to me that he would give time to all sorts of things, just not anything to do with me. That's all I can tell you. I don't know about your own situation.

It took me a long time to figure out (on my own) that I could google just about any computer problem and find the answer myself. If my computer was down, I could use one of the kids' computers to do a search. If everyone's was down, I could call tech support. It was still hard, because my ex had set us up on Linux, so we were nonstandard, and he was always out of town. The wires seemed like spaghetti to me, there were so many.

If you ever do get back to being friends, maybe you can show your friend different ways to find his own answers, as well as asking you for help. It does feel good, and welcome, to be more self-sufficient.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not really, only if my feelings are over whelming and I need a way to let them out.
I love reading! :D
Do you have good aim?
Yes, I think so.
Well, I don't know. I guess I just figured that if the majority of the world is full of sensors, I'm probably a sensor. If someone wants to prove me wrong, you're more than welcome to.
I actually like doing both. I almost feel incomplete if I don't have the right amount of physical activity and just "nothing" times.

wolfy

awsm
So, I hope you don't get annoyed with all my questions:

No

Yes, mostly non fiction.

Do you have good aim?

Yes

intuition

I can be pretty relaxed. I wouldn't call it balanced, undulating maybe.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I have a hard time grasping the differences between ISFPs and INFPs. Yeah, I get the part about thinking in concrete terms vs. thinking in theoretical terms, but I'm sure that's not the one and only difference between us. So, I hope you don't get annoyed with all my questions:

Someone recently suggested I'm an INTJ in ISFP's clothing. Descriptions of ISFP fit me best. This year. Who knows. I just know that I'm happier than I've ever been.

I don't know. I write a lot, though.

I like to read, computer and books. If I do too much, I start to feel unbalanced and fix it.

Do you have good aim?

I don't understand the question. It's not one of those toilet things, right? ;) I'm female.

I don't. I was thinking today, maybe it's a meditative stance to the world (without having actually ever been much of a meditator), that has me testing S now. A kind of frequent back and forth of getting wrapped up in something and then noticing. Similar to this kind of meditative back and forth, but not quite so rapid, described about four paragraphs from the bottom:
Brief meditative exercise helps cognition

I like both.

(edited to remove unnecessary material)

Last edited: