• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Ask an ISFP!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
i believe you're right... i'm not an extrovert in the typical sense. but it'd be just as difficult for me to be a real introvert... eventually i'd have to scream or something. "WTF?!!? need to get out.. need to make contact..need to participate.." that doesn't mean i'm gonna jump on tables and start slapping everyone's asses, and pushing aside deep conversation.. i mean, damn.. why do we even have to speak in such extremes. [edit] just rambling into the air there. not directed at anyone :cool:

I feel you man. Sounds like you are on a path of discovery.

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm kind of like that too. The only time I like to do sports is when I'm with my friends. They are what make it fun. I wouldn't go rock climbing or snowboarding or whatever by myself. That would be boring! Or with people I don't know.... :eek:
I'm way less introverted than I used to be. Just like the past 2 years I'm starting to be more outgoing and sociable. But I'll never be an extravert. Parties are scary. I feel better when I'm by myself or with one friend.
"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self." (May Sarton)

KDude

here's a question:

Can ISFPs sing Happy Birthday?

:huh:

I can't. I can show plenty of Fe (even excitably sometimes), but I seem to be a jerk when it comes to festive things like that. I don't put my hand on my chest at the national anthem, i don't say grace, and i mentioned in one thread here, i hardly applaud for anything.

(no i don't have asperger's.. it's not like that.) can anyone relate somewhat?? (doesn't have to be birthdays.. could be something else)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not an ISFP (and I have enough Fe to offer extra to other people!), but I am completely inept at singing happy birthday... the best I can do is "announcing" happy birthday in a dramatic reading style... as if making it even more rediculous than it is is the only way to get through it :doh:

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
here's a question:

I can't. I can show plenty of Fe (even excitably sometimes), but I seem to be a jerk when it comes to festive things like that. I don't put my hand on my chest at the national anthem, i don't say grace, and i mentioned in one thread here, i hardly applaud for anything.

(no i don't have asperger's.. it's not like that.) can anyone relate somewhat?? (doesn't have to be birthdays.. could be something else)

I can relate to two out of the above four examples but I don't know if my reasons are similar. Do you know what's going through your head when you don't do those things? Independent streak -- intelligence and wanting to be allowed to think for yourself about what actions you perform? Independent streak -- feelings of rebellion? Political/religious protest? Shyness?

KDude

i don't know. it's like it's not "cool" to me or something. sigh.. edit:there's an element of rebellion there, i guess. as well as shyness.

i'll always get kids a good gift though, and they like jumping for a hug whenever i'm around. so maybe i'm not so bad.

[edit] with the anthem or prayer, yeah.. it's just an independent streak. been that way since i was a kid.. i recall one time even staying in my seat at an anthem.. pissed my dad off. i'll at least stand up for one these days

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
i think it's a Fi thing for me or something? which would be a strange "value" to have. like it's not "cool" to me or something. sigh..

i'll always get kids an good gift though, and they like jumping for a hug whenever i'm around. so maybe i'm not so bad.

Yeah, maybe you're not so bad. ;)

[edit] with the anthem or prayer, yeah.. it's just an independent streak. been that way since i was a kid.. i recall one time even staying in my seat at an anthem.. pissed my dad off. i'll at least stand up for one these days

The singing and clapping can have an awkward feel, so much that we don't want to do them. I used to strongly feel that way, memory jogged by your posts. But I'm an enthusiastic happy-birthdayer now (people are fun, celebrations are excuses for more fun, and I'm glad for peoples' friendships) and an enthusiastic clapper (when something's worth it, or even when it's not but the performer is really trying, which is most of the time). The anthem/prayer thing, those are personal conviction issues; I'll stand but that's it.

Independent streaks aren't so bad, in my experience!

KDude

yeah, maybe i might clap more if i see they're really trying or something. otoh, it's not that good performances don't affect me. i can be brought to tears or chills.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
KDude, regarding your edit ("there's an element of rebellion there, i guess. as well as shyness") yes a lot of this sounds familiar. Hopefully it's of some help to know that you're not the only one. Anyway, with billions of people on the planet we can all relax and figure that nothing much that we exhibit in the way of traits or preferences is totally unheard of. ;)

"According to the International Programs Center, U.S. Census Bureau, the total population of the World, projected to 05/01/10 at 15:26 UTC (EST+5) is

6,818,251,118"
US & World Population Clock

Last edited:

KDude

6.8 already? seems like we had the 6 billion count not too long ago.

thanks for the post btw ;)

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
here's a question:

Once before childern, no. I couldn't even sing to my first born but I got over my shyness and now I have no problems.

There can be alot of emotions going on inside me that are not expressed nor do I realize that the other person would like to hear it. Probably because I'm just in the moment of the experience.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Quoting myself:

"So, in a way, you could say "utilitarian" can also mean "non-conformist." Because sometimes, it's not even about what actually works, it's more about wanting for it to be my idea and not forced upon me by someone else. I hate being a copycat, being unoriginal, doing stuff because it's what everybody else is doing or because "that's just the way it's done." I can love other people coming up with new ideas too, but I still don't even entirely want to do it their way, I always want to put my own stamp on it, in some way create something else out of it. It's like a hunger to be my own man and follow my own ways, yes, indeed, a "rebel without a cause."

From here.

KDude

Nicely put.

As for kids, I imagine things really change if you have your own. Maybe I'll get to it one day. :cool:

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I hate being a copycat, being unoriginal, doing stuff because it's what everybody else is doing or because "that's just the way it's done."

Yes.

(So I won't just quote you and agree; I'll change you to red-bold.) :D

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hey isfps: if you never freaking complain how are we supposed to tell when you're just avoiding conflict vs. genuinely not bothered?

I'm assuming it's a mix of both, probably more often the latter, but how do you tell the difference? Surely you must be bothered by some things? :huh:

in my experience...follow us around until we find someone to vent to. and it WILL happen.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am very frustrated due to having to deal with two rude and incompetent people. Please offer strategies to prevent conversion to primal conflict resolution methods. :ng_mad: :threaten: :dont: :shock:

-Halla

this might be just an individual thing, but i find it very easy to tap into a sort of NT thought process...this might help resolve conflict. just be careful that it doesn't bring out the worst in you and turn you into an evil bastard...mixing the above with the SP temper, in my experience, is BAD, because once you realize what you're capable of with other people...very bad things can happen, and you're probably going to enjoy doing them far too much to stop.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
you'll likely never convince an SFP to rationalize anything. We are proudly irrational.\

I like you ISFPs generally, but I'm sorry to say I'm totally baffled as to why anyone would be porud to be irrational.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like you ISFPs generally, but I'm sorry to say I'm totally baffled as to why anyone would be porud to be irrational.

BECAUSE it baffles you! :D

wolfy

awsm
Quoting myself:

"So, in a way, you could say "utilitarian" can also mean "non-conformist." Because sometimes, it's not even about what actually works, it's more about wanting for it to be my idea and not forced upon me by someone else. I hate being a copycat, being unoriginal, doing stuff because it's what everybody else is doing or because "that's just the way it's done." I can love other people coming up with new ideas too, but I still don't even entirely want to do it their way, I always want to put my own stamp on it, in some way create something else out of it. It's like a hunger to be my own man and follow my own ways, yes, indeed, a "rebel without a cause."

From here.

I already said that in another way, before you, using less words, and even better. Hah!

BECAUSE it baffles you! :D

Ha! That is kind of true. Funny.