User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Thread: Ask an ISFP!

what's the difference between an ISFP's and ISTP's "impulse" to do "what they want"?

say you were ready to just walk off on a bullshit task/ job. could an ISTP justify why it sucks rationally or something (if they were inclined)? :confused:

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    what's the difference between an ISFP's and ISTP's "impulse" to do "what they want"?

say you were ready to just walk off on a bullshit task/ job. could an ISTP justify why it sucks rationally or something (if they were inclined)? :confused:
    This could be kinda random but there shouldn't be a difference. If it sucks, then it sucks. Justifying the decision rationally really just means that you needed a reason. The difference between T and F is not that one required a reason and the other didn't, but the kind of reasons each type puts more weight in.
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

I have a little question. I don't mean to be offensive to ISFP in any way. I don't even know that many of you guys - at least not closely - and that may be even the reason why this bothers me, so I'd like to know, if this is normal.

I have an ISFP friend (we're both guys). He's a cool pal to hang out with and even though it annoys me occasionally, I don't have that much of a problem with that obnoxious Fi of his in situations when we disagree on something (two of my other friends are INFPs, one of them maybe the closest one, and I just learned to suck it up).

The issue I have is, that even after years of knowing him, I don't get him at all and he seems to me like a complete airhead, even though I know, that he is actually smart in some strange way. For example he managed to get into every university he ever tried and without cheating AND we're talking about free education, so no influence there (but he never finished a single semester though).

What I don't understand is if there is at least some notable substitute of rational thinking going on in that head. He's fairly introverted, so I'd expect that there is some introversion actually taking place, but I very rarely notice some useful outcome. When we're talking about something abstract, I have to tone down everything in order for him to get some grasp of the topic - Ok, I get that, we think differently. But even when we're dealing with some real world problem, he's usually more worthless than me (and don't take this comparsion lightly). This is not about being laidback (which he is) or "going with the flow", since it's observable even when he's trying to do something independently.

He may try and he deals with basic stuff easily more often, than don't, but when there are more than one thinking step necessary, that's like two guys carrying a plexiglas. He is terrible with maps (north-south seems to be just technobabble even on a bright day). He's able to buy a big package of low fat white yoghurt thinking it's a mayonnaise. Once he was trying to "manipulate" me (funny way to call that) into dating a girl that somehow fell for me at the time, then nailed her in the next room (not exactly a soundproof flat) and then it surprised him that it kinda turned me off. Last year, he tried putting an expired Amsterdam three-day tram ticket into a credit card slot of a ticket machine in Rotterdam. And the screen even clearly showed that it takes only change! And he was sober!! And then he got mad when I calmly asked him what the hell is he doing!

Is this normal for an ISFP? Is there something I'm not getting? Did I miss something important?

He's ok to have around and maybe this is making him look worse, than he usually is, but that's just because these things won't come up while sitting in a pub talking about an action movie (well, at least not that often).

thanks, and sorry for possible mistakes.

does he do drugs?

umm... sounds like some of these absentminded/inconsiderate esfp horror stories. just quieter.

He spent most of high school stoned, but he's not smoking weed for several years now. Maybe on some very rare occasions, but he preferes beer.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by CollisionCourse? View Post
    I have a little question. I don't mean to be offensive to ISFP in any way. I don't even know that many of you guys - at least not closely - and that may be even the reason why this bothers me, so I'd like to know, if this is normal.

I have an ISFP friend (we're both guys). He's a cool pal to hang out with and even though it annoys me occasionally, I don't have that much of a problem with that obnoxious Fi of his in situations when we disagree on something (two of my other friends are INFPs, one of them maybe the closest one, and I just learned to suck it up).

The issue I have is, that even after years of knowing him, I don't get him at all and he seems to me like a complete airhead, even though I know, that he is actually smart in some strange way. For example he managed to get into every university he ever tried and without cheating AND we're talking about free education, so no influence there (but he never finished a single semester though).
    He may not see the value of an education and/or may not know what he wants in life. If this is the case, he may be hard pressed to plan for his future especially when young.

What I don't understand is if there is at least some notable substitute of rational thinking going on in that head. He's fairly introverted, so I'd expect that there is some introversion actually taking place, but I very rarely notice some useful outcome. When we're talking about something abstract, I have to tone down everything in order for him to get some grasp of the topic - Ok, I get that, we think differently. But even when we're dealing with some real world problem, he's usually more worthless than me (and don't take this comparsion lightly). This is not about being laidback (which he is) or "going with the flow", since it's observable even when he's trying to do something independently.

He may try and he deals with basic stuff easily more often, than don't, but when there are more than one thinking step necessary, that's like two guys carrying a plexiglas. He is terrible with maps (north-south seems to be just technobabble even on a bright day). He's able to buy a big package of low fat white yoghurt thinking it's a mayonnaise. Once he was trying to "manipulate" me (funny way to call that) into dating a girl that somehow fell for me at the time, then nailed her in the next room (not exactly a soundproof flat) and then it surprised him that it kinda turned me off. Last year, he tried putting an expired Amsterdam three-day tram ticket into a credit card slot of a ticket machine in Rotterdam. And the screen even clearly showed that it takes only change! And he was sober!! And then he got mad when I calmly asked him what the hell is he doing!
    He could be niave in life especially regarding how other people perceive him. So he might need a friend to explain why these things offend people. He might be stuck in his own world therefore not paying attention to what's going on and/or have no practical sense.

Spacial abilities is usually required when reading a map which is not a problem for me (however my INFP sister is directionally challenged).

I'm not good with theories and I enjoy it when someone tones it down especially when it is a topic of no interest. In other words, I enjoy being with the person even if the topic is of no interest.

He might be a poor at communicating his emotions especially when he is overwhelmed by them and therefore vented at you instead. This is not type related but a mark of emotional immaturity.

Consistant drug use during high school suggest to me that he has some self-esteem issues.

Oh, for the record, I don't like school either (self education is fine), and it's taken me a long time to finally appreciate it.. I used to do drugs myself, but quit relatively early..

Anyhow, I'd fall in those two categories, but I can't identify with some of the inconsideration, or absented minded behavior.

Another question, how do you find yourself using Se?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Another question, how do you find yourself using Se?
    With a mirror.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    With a mirror.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.