User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Thread: Ask an ISFP!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    BECAUSE it baffles you!
    I thought you guys were supposed to be sympathetic and nice.

I definitely complain about things..

I may be irrational at times, but I'm trying to work on it.

Honestly, there are many descriptions in Jeffster's thread that i do not agree with.. many things about Keirsey's SFP is "not me". Also, I'm not optimistic. And even funnier (or sadder, depending on how you look at it), I don't want to be.

[edit] actually a better way to put it is that too many surprises doesn't appeal to me. i'm a little investigative, and deliberating before i get my feet wet. not a pessimist per se. i prefer to be spontaneous and optimistic only with what i know and find useful...which happens to be enough to appear spontaneous in many cases.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I already said that in another way, before you, using less words, and even better. Hah!
    Well, when I'm as old as you, I'll be better at being succinct, too.

Quote Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
    I thought you guys were supposed to be sympathetic and nice.
    We are. I'm very sympathetic, and also the nicest guy in the Universe.

That doesn't mean I don't still enjoy baffling people.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Honestly, there are many descriptions in Jeffster's thread that i do not agree with.. many things about Keirsey's SFP is "not me".
    Well, good! That means you're an individual and not a clone! No one should match 100% of a type description, or I'd start to worry about them a bit.

And part of the character of Artisans in particular is to strive to be different, as I (and wolfy more succinctly) have pointed out. So, the paradox is that even as I talk about how much a description accurately fits me, I am trying to defy it and be something different. But in so doing, I am fitting exactly what it describes!

Also, I'm not optimistic. And even funnier (or sadder, depending on how you look at it), I don't want to be.

[edit] actually a better way to put it is that too many surprises doesn't appeal to me. i'm a little investigative, and deliberating before i get my feet wet. not a pessimist per se. i prefer to be spontaneous and optimistic only with what i know and find useful...which happens to be enough to appear spontaneous in many cases.
    Very few people want EVERYTHING in life to be a surprise. Again, it seems like you are taking things to extremes. If there's one thing that I repeat more than anything on this forum, (other than "I like boobs") it's that type/temperament stuff describes tendencies, not absolutes. When you're talking about millions (or billions) of people, you'd have to come up with some pretty vague things to apply to everybody. But the point is that general tendencies come out, even if they are in very different ways.

I'm very similar to what you describe in your "edit." I don't like strangers knocking on my door. I don't like restaurant waitstaffs singing happy birthday to me. Those are just a couple examples, but there's plenty of surprises that I don't like. And plenty of times that my cynicism overpowers my optimism.

Again I've used a lot more words than wolfy would, but darn it, I'm just not as good at being pithy when I'm excited about something.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I like you ISFPs generally, but I'm sorry to say I'm totally baffled as to why anyone would be porud to be irrational.
    From wikipedia:

It is believed by some philosophers (notably A.C. Grayling) and experts, that a good rationale must be independent of emotions, personal feelings or any kind of instincts.
    In theory rationality takes out all the fun stuff (for ISFPs).
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Even though I like a little rationality in my cereal, that is not the only way to eat it.

[edit] i'd love to know just how far the "irrationality" goes though.

do you dig Sun Ra or Jackson Pollock?

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SsBtfuSDxw"]Sun Ra[/youtube]
    [youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bICqvmKL5s"]Pollock[/youtube]

they're both too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Again I've used a lot more words than wolfy would, but darn it, I'm just not as good at being pithy when I'm excited about something.
    You do good. The real secret to my pithy nature is laziness and slow typing skills. I type pretty quick now but am stuck in my ways.

I like you ISFPs generally, but I'm sorry to say I'm totally baffled as to why anyone would be porud to be irrational.
    The reason isfp are irrational is rational. That is to say there is a rational reason for their irrationality. Get my rationale?

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

And I don't even see how we are irrational.

seriously.. it's strange enough to not consider myself isfp anymore. i mean, to each their own and all that though. not hatin'

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    INFJ!
    No, not INFJ.

More likely COOL.

Seriously, though, KDude, the most useful thing about the Myers-Briggs system is, in my opinion, the fact that it helps some people take a step back from (a) a rather common assumption that Everyone Thinks Like Me, and (b) an interaction style of Everyone Should/Must Think And Act Like Me.

But if you're not easily typeable, well, join the club. Maybe the problem isn't with you; maybe there's some problem with the system.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

INFJ's are cool. They're supposedly the rarest type for males. They also exhibit certain attributes that are more likely to test out as P when assessing.

KDude's ennegram is more commonly NF. After PM'ing back and forth, he started to remind me of an old friend. The guy was one of the most incredibly intuitive people I had ever seen in getting a sound out of an instrument. He'd move across the country just to be with a chick he cared about, without any concern for practical matters at all.

Just thought of it as a possibility to explore, but do agree that there's still a lot of variety in any give spectrum. Yeah, the systems not perfect...but the process of sorting it out...seems to help in accepting certain aspects of oneself, and knowing best how to work with them in daily living.