User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    Getting along with an ISTP is deceptively simple, meaning it's so easy you're already doing it wrong by trying to "understand" them. The ISTP, much like the ESTP, has a natural interest in behavior, intentions, and the cause and effect behind how it all interacts together. This raw understanding of interactions, in this case human interactions, is the "simple" part of getting along with them. However, unlike their extroverted brother, when it comes to a baseline need for communication the ISTP is falls somewhere between little to none. The ESTP will proactively engage in verbal and facial expression, while the ISTP observes and engages only if needed. Because the ISTP actively observes what is going on around them, they consider the majority of what most people exchange in conversation to be obvious. The stronger the tendency for the ISTP to observe, the less they will communicate because they tend to take the gathered information for granted, assuming it to be common knowledge.

Upon encountering an ISTP, what is immediately noticed is a vibe of awareness and physical prowess. Along with the fact that they are not expressing much, this is often mistaken as aloofness and most people feel unnecessarily intimidated. On the "inside", however, the ISTP is simply actively observing and more often than not so drawn into what they are experiencing that they can forget their own presence (this is why despite their physical awareness they can be occasionally clumsy). Going back to "deceptively simple", this means that any communication starts at the very least a blank slate and at best in full consideration of the immediate environment or the issue at hand. Although ISTPs are most often skilled which gives them a confident attitude, it is important to separate that from the perceived aloofness so that you can talk to them without feeling unnecessary pressure. The ISTP perceives themselves as being "blank" in expression, and it is upon this blank canvas that many people tend to paint their insecurities onto. Even though something that is obvious to the ISTP may not be obvious to you, that is something they are accustomed to and you should not feel as if you need to know something that you do not. More often than not an ISTP will have strong ability in inductive reasoning which they actually enjoy using for the benefit of others, so don't be shy! If and when the ISTP recognizes you as being more knowledgeable about something, they will simply ask to know more and you should do the same with them. How much and what kind of knowledge one has accumulated is merely a matter of each of our unique life experiences and ought not to be a competition. This unique nature of each of our experiences is why it makes more sense to the ISTP to compete with themselves and remain peaceable with those who also maintain peace.

A common, recurring pitfall in communication with an ISTP is that the combination of perceived aloofness and the expectation to know what seems to be obvious to the ISTP can create a pressure to perform that causes someone's disposition to crumble and impedes communication. Being such a common occurrence, the ISTP becomes annoyed at an inefficiency which they are unable to resolve as well as the assumptions about their attitude that they feel unfairly tread upon their identity which they wish to accurately portray. This annoyance exacerbates and reinforces the other person's initial assumption. This puts the ISTP in a difficult social position where the only comfortable option is avoidance. If an ISTP does not develop a friendly vibe and a better awareness of their own presence they will most likely end up what most other people consider to be a loner. For another person to reverse this tread, they must understand that this is unintended no matter how much it tends to expose the other person's insecurities and to communicate with them in simple terms, with honesty any directness of intention. This is why I say it is deceptively simple, because the ISTP desire for pure observation excludes them from many verbal and facial expressions that make communication so complex. Remember, the assumptions are all in your head, let go of the anxiety and test the boundaries... you might be surprised at how well the ISTP responds.

The last underlined passage is just brilliantly written.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

sammy

I need to print out what Lucky said and put it on the fridge for my dad's sanity's sake back home. He'd appreciate the articulation of all these points.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    How to seduce an ISTP

Step One: Keep absolutely still. His vision is based on movement.

Awww, this reminds me of my honeymoon....

hehe, I actually like ISTPs enormously. But give them tons of space, massive amounts of quiet time, and let them pursue whatever their hobby is with freedom.

They will show love in an almost childlike way to try and please you once they get a bit older. Mine loves his kids enormously.

The comments about the blank slate are interesting. ISTPs can look really pissed off. Once I understood this about other ISTPs, I just choose to ignore it and would harass them anyways in spite of the "I am going to kill you look". Then they become my friend.

But I always assumed they really were defensive and wanting to keep people out-not that it was a blank slate. Interesting.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    ISTPs can look really pissed off.
    Yeah, my sister's boyfriend is convinced I hate him. But what's really happening is he's a super outgoing guy who thinks he's funny, so when he cracks a joke that I didn't think is funny, everyone is cracking up except me. Also, as my ESTP friend puts it: "Yeah... he just thinks you're giving dirty looks when really... well, that's just your face."
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post

But I always assumed they really were defensive and wanting to keep people out-not that it was a blank slate. Interesting.
    Maybe a bit of both
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    Getting along with an ISTP is deceptively simple, meaning it's so easy you're already doing it wrong by trying to "understand" them. The ISTP, much like the ESTP, has a natural interest in behavior, intentions, and the cause and effect behind how it all interacts together. This raw understanding of interactions, in this case human interactions, is the "simple" part of getting along with them. However, unlike their extroverted brother, when it comes to a baseline need for communication the ISTP is falls somewhere between little to none. The ESTP will proactively engage in verbal and facial expression, while the ISTP observes and engages only if needed. Because the ISTP actively observes what is going on around them, they consider the majority of what most people exchange in conversation to be obvious. The stronger the tendency for the ISTP to observe, the less they will communicate because they tend to take the gathered information for granted, assuming it to be common knowledge.

Upon encountering an ISTP, what is immediately noticed is a vibe of awareness and physical prowess. Along with the fact that they are not expressing much, this is often mistaken as aloofness and most people feel unnecessarily intimidated. On the "inside", however, the ISTP is simply actively observing and more often than not so drawn into what they are experiencing that they can forget their own presence (this is why despite their physical awareness they can be occasionally clumsy). Going back to "deceptively simple", this means that any communication starts at the very least a blank slate and at best in full consideration of the immediate environment or the issue at hand. Although ISTPs are most often skilled which gives them a confident attitude, it is important to separate that from the perceived aloofness so that you can talk to them without feeling unnecessary pressure. The ISTP perceives themselves as being "blank" in expression, and it is upon this blank canvas that many people tend to paint their insecurities onto. Even though something that is obvious to the ISTP may not be obvious to you, that is something they are accustomed to and you should not feel as if you need to know something that you do not. More often than not an ISTP will have strong ability in inductive reasoning which they actually enjoy using for the benefit of others, so don't be shy! If and when the ISTP recognizes you as being more knowledgeable about something, they will simply ask to know more and you should do the same with them. How much and what kind of knowledge one has accumulated is merely a matter of each of our unique life experiences and ought not to be a competition. This unique nature of each of our experiences is why it makes more sense to the ISTP to compete with themselves and remain peaceable with those who also maintain peace.

A common, recurring pitfall in communication with an ISTP is that the combination of perceived aloofness and the expectation to know what seems to be obvious to the ISTP can create a pressure to perform that causes someone's disposition to crumble and impedes communication. Being such a common occurrence, the ISTP becomes annoyed at an inefficiency which they are unable to resolve as well as the assumptions about their attitude that they feel unfairly tread upon their identity which they wish to accurately portray. This annoyance exacerbates and reinforces the other person's initial assumption. This puts the ISTP in a difficult social position where the only comfortable option is avoidance. If an ISTP does not develop a friendly vibe and a better awareness of their own presence they will most likely end up what most other people consider to be a loner. For another person to reverse this tread, they must understand that this is unintended no matter how much it tends to expose the other person's insecurities and to communicate with them in simple terms, with honesty any directness of intention. This is why I say it is deceptively simple, because the ISTP desire for pure observation excludes them from many verbal and facial expressions that make communication so complex. Remember, the assumptions are all in your head, let go of the anxiety and test the boundaries... you might be surprised at how well the ISTP responds.
    I dont like having to display or figure out facial expressions.

When I do become extraverted in my natural form my desire to play with people tends to put me in spots which causes people to hold certain views of me that are not really me, but just pushing, playing, and prodding. You have no worries about my opinion of what I find as I really do have a blank slate and truth with me works wonders as generally I will reciprocate personal truths, not just general or vague truths. Certain things I will not divulge for differing reasons and I can hide behind this with my aloofness and shyness if I choose. I may hide behind any stereotype you apply to me. I may also make stereotypical comments that dont apply to me. 99% of the time I hide behind these to keep a distance as I do not wish for you to know that side of me because I dont have a desire to become closer yet. I hide behind general knowledge that everyone else pushes onto me that is about me as a sensor, as a man, as a husband, pretty much every role I take on has a stereotype that I can choose to allow others to paint onto me. Most of the time these stereotypes are really far from who I am. If I so choose I will let you believe whatever you want about me.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    If I so choose I will let you believe whatever you want about me.
    +1
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Is telling an ISTP that you've been reading about their personality type a good way to make them uncomfortable? Haha, I would guess it would be, maybe even for most types... but I'm not sure. I think I will keep it to myself for now though.
    Introverted (I) 76.67% Extroverted (E) 23.33%
    Intuitive (N) 61.11% Sensing (S) 38.89%
    Feeling (F) 65.52% Thinking (T) 34.48%
    Perceiving (P) 80.65% Judging (J) 19.35%

MBTI
    ISTP

^ I wouldn't want to hear much about it unless I already knew some MBTI. Say..."Hey, have you heard of this MBTI thing? It's personality stuff, blah, blah, blah..." Already knowing what it is, I'd be ok hearing what they know (or think they know) about me or my type. It's a common interest at that point. Buuuuut if it's a new topic, it might weird me out that someone had specifically called my type and started assuming I was just like the type. lol, I'd test myself and regardless of the results, I'd prolly say they were wrong just 'cause I'm stubborn.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by foolish heart View Post

qft. fantastic description.
    -end of thread-