• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] Relentlessly cheerful ESFPs?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an acquaintance who I am pretty sure is ESFP – though she could possibly be ESTP – and I would characterize her as relentlessly cheerful. Would you say this is typically ESFP?

I don’t know her that well, though we have mutual friends. We could have spent more time together if we’d chosen but we have just never clicked sufficiently. I think we more or less like each other but I find her a bit too, well, relentlessly cheerful and party-party-party, while I’m fairly sure she finds me a bit too withdrawn, serious and maybe even pessimistic.

I get the feeling she may be someone who’s had some unpleasant experiences in her life and her way of dealing with them is the relentless cheerfulness. I do know her parents are divorced and she seems to have made her friends her “family” rather than her actual family. She is also very overweight and I imagine that could have been at least sometimes difficult. She is actually very pretty and dresses and presents herself very well – but still she is very overweight, especially in a city and social milieu where people are very fashion and appearance-conscious and most people in her social circle aren’t overweight (to that extent anyway). I would definitely say she is popular, though.

I do wonder sometimes if someone like her acknowledges sadness and the darker side of life to her closer friends (she has a huge circle of friends/acquaintances, but is definitely a bit closer to some of those than to others). It just seems like whenever we’ve spoken she’s like “everyone in this city is just so fantastic, that’s why I’m planning to stay” and “I had such a fun fun fun weekend”…etc. She also seems to sort of flirt with everyone, of both genders, as a way of winning them over.

I think she is a nice girl but basically I am somewhat caught between finding her a bit irritating, with the non-stop happy happy happy and the flirting and so on, and being a little jealous…yes…not that most people I know perceive me as a huge pessimist, but it is certainly a part of who I am!

This might also co-relate to the ennegram 7 “running away from pain” thing – though she seems like she might also be a 2. One or the other.

I hope this doesn’t sound bitchy. I basically like her but I do find people like her a bit exhausting. And I am not sure whether to find them superficial, or to admire the cheerfulness against all odds.

Given that I've posted this in the SP section, you SPs are probably just going to think I'm a bit weird and sad for having a problem with (or wondering about) someone being cheerful all the time. :D

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
She could be a space alien, coming to destroy humans with her relentless, nonhumanlike cheerfulness. :devil:

Given that I've posted this in the SP section, you SPs are probably just going to think I'm a bit weird and sad for having a problem with (or wondering about) someone being cheerful all the time. :D

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She could be a space alien, coming to destroy humans with her relentless, nonhumanlike cheerfulness. :devil:

Is that code for thinking I'm weird and sad? :(

Honestly...I would forgive SPs for posting threads like "Relentlessly gloomy and emo INFJs" in the NF section. ;)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESFP's get sad too at times. Everyone does. She's just having fun and having a good time. That's just what she does. It doesn't mean she doesn't have deeper feelings or experience sadness. It's just not her thing to dwell on the negative because there are good times to be had that she does not want to miss out on in the moment. Make no mistake, sulking will happen but when the time is right and it probably won't last long if something more appealing comes into her line of sight. I also seriously doubt that she looks down upon you if you are different than her. SP's are very open to people of various backgrounds and orientations. They believe variety is the spice of life and like to go with it! In the moment!

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESFP's get sad too at times. Everyone does. She's just having fun and having a good time. That's just what she does. It doesn't mean she doesn't have deeper feelings or experience sadness. It's just not her thing to dwell on the negative because there are good times to be had that she does not want to miss out on in the moment. Make no mistake, sulking will happen but when the time is right and it probably won't last long if something more appealing comes into her line of sight. I also seriously doubt that she looks down upon you if you are different than her. SP's are very open to people of various backgrounds and orientations. They believe variety is the spice of life and like to go with it! In the moment!

Do you ever get...tired being so "up" all the time?! Or crash really hard?

I do think that out of all the types, ESFPs may be the ones I have the hardest time understanding. But like I said, I am a bit jealous too. ;)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you ever get...tired being so "up" all the time?! Or crash really hard?

I do think that out of all the types, ESFPs may be the ones I have the hardest time understanding. But like I said, I am a bit jealous too. ;)

Crash hard. But I think S's don't stay down for as long because they get distracted and forget. I like listening to and hanging out with INFJ's. I love their emotional depth.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Um. No. I really don't communicate in code. It's just me watching way too much science fiction. Apparently, my thought process has been addled by all of that entertainment.:hi:
And, by the way, I have been known to be very "emo," although rarely gloomy.

Is that code for thinking I'm weird and sad? :(

Honestly...I would forgive SPs for posting threads like "Relentlessly gloomy and emo INFJs" in the NF section. ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTPs are apparently rather horrifyingly cheerful most of the time as well :cheese:

I have been informed that it is an annoying trait :unsure:

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um. No. I really don't communicate in code. It's just me watching way too much science fiction. Apparently, my thought process has been addled by all of that entertainment.:hi:
And, by the way, I have been known to be very "emo," although rarely gloomy.

Another thread possibility: "INFJs Relentlessly Reading Too Much Into Everything" :D

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
ESTPs are apparently rather horrifyingly cheerful most of the time as well :cheese:

From my perspective, it's not an annoying trait.

My brother is an ESTP and god, i love just how witty and comical he is .. We do laugh and bounce off each others humour, Lol

Keep up the good work :yes:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
That's probably how you're able to sell the rest of us flowers from our own gardens!!!:)
Actually, though, I generally like it. But it can be a little distracting when I'm trying to draw or paint or read a book. You can always make up for that by offering me chocolate!!!:devil:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have an acquaintance who I am pretty sure is ESFP – though she could possibly be ESTP – and I would characterize her as relentlessly cheerful. Would you say this is typically ESFP?

It can be. On the other hand, I've known some relentlessly crabby ESFPs. So I guess what you can gather from this is that ESFPs tend to be relentlessly something.

Unless distracted by something shiny.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It can be. On the other hand, I've known some relentlessly crabby ESFPs. So I guess what you can gather from this is that ESFPs tend to be relentlessly something.

Unless distracted by something shiny.

Wow, I actually have a really hard time imagining a relentlessly crabby ESFP. Are you sure they aren't ESFJs? I might be able to imagine that... (sorry ESFJs)

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Except for when we're not. Then we're just horrifying. :moodeath:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow, I actually have a really hard time imagining a relentlessly crabby ESFP. Are you sure they aren't ESFJs? I might be able to imagine that... (sorry ESFJs)

You've obviously never participated in drama/theatre. :alttongue:

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I wouldn't say so; I'm very happy when I'm out with friends. I tend to forget all the bad things, I just am.

Yes, I've had overly down periods; but I've learnt to overlook that now. Everyone has 'bad' things; without 'bad' there is no 'good'.

And ESFJs. I LOVE THEM. I think I'm an ESFP/ESFJ. I think they're amazing people. Most people are just jealous of their nice side ;)!

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Sounds exactly like the ESFPs I know, relentlessly cheerful most of the time. But they do get sad you know, and the ones I know tend just tend to sulk a lot and be very passive aggressive in those situations, they can become quite unpleasant under those circumstances. But then again, I'm slightly biased against them (the aforementioned individuals, not the type).