• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] The ISFP Thread

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yeah, I mean considering we're like 5% of the total population, I'd say we have a fairly strong presence, especially in what's considered by some to be an "intuitive" medium.

I will say, however, that if I'm on this site for longer than twenty minutes, I feel very unhealthy. Sitting in front of computer=:devil:. Participating in the real physical world=:nice:

I wondered about the math, that's quite low in comparison to other types, no?

I too feel confined in my head to much if I stay on the computer, watch tv or get involved in a book. Need to get physical in the world even just for a walk.

And no Jeffster, I'm not talking about outdoor sex. :coffee:

Sunny Ghost

Whaaa? There's tons of ISFPs online.
I dunno... I've joined many forums much like this one, and it's hard to find other ISFP's. This particular forum seems to have more than any other I've ever found. Maybe all the artisan's just congregated to this particular site.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I dunno... I've joined many forums much like this one, and it's hard to find other ISFP's. This particular forum seems to have more than any other I've ever found. Maybe all the artisan's just congregated to this particular site.

Well, you said "online" before, not "forums like this one." Of course typology forums are not going to have a high population of any Sensing type, because the whole thing is an abstract subject, not one of general interest to most people. You have to actually get to know the subject a bit to realize that it can actually have practical usage.

Intuitive types, on the other hand, don't have the same need for practical application of theories so they are happy to go on and on discussing matters that stay in the abstract arena, which is why they represent the overwhelming majority of people on forums discussing these types of subjects.

Go to forums about music, sports, business, cars, clothes, movies, parenting and family, and many other subjects about tangible reality, and the numbers are flipped, with the Sensors in the majority. It's funny, because on some of the other forums I'm a member of, like sports forums, I now play a little game called "Spot the Intuitive" because after I read up on typology I would recognize their different style of communication instantly as it stands out in a sea of Sensing perspectives. ;)

Sunny Ghost

Well, you said "online" before, not "forums like this one." Of course typology forums are not going to have a high population of any Sensing type, because the whole thing is an abstract subject, not one of general interest to most people. You have to actually get to know the subject a bit to realize that it can actually have practical usage.
Sorry about the lack of clarity. Totally meant on "type" forums like this one.

Well, for those ISFP's who are into understanding the MBTI... what about it attracts you to it? I see for you, Jeffster, you came to see it's practical usage, but what drew you in earlier on? Just a curiosity question.

KDude

I know you're asking Jeffster, but I think I'm just here because I like boards with a wide range of topics, and an even gender ratio. :) I like reading guitar forums, and it seems there's a ton of dudes.. Sports, the same. Video game discussions, same. or movie related, pretty much the same for some reason.

Sunny Ghost

I should work on clarity. Haha. It's open to all ISFP's. Made me curious after Jeffster's response. So, eurika, he hit it on the nail for us ISFP's. Hrm.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't know why I come here, there are some cool people and always a variety of topics. Also there is something kind of comfortably self indulgent about MBTI.

jebauman

MBTI Type
ISFP
hello :)

I just joined Typology Central... I'm an ISFP, but I need to ask this question to all other ISFPs out there:

I'm a student in college (German Language B.A.) and I always have a lot of assigned reading to do in my classes... and I always struggle to actually start reading and about three pages into the book I'm either asleep or get distracted. However, when we get to choose our own books to read for independent papers and presentations, I can't seem to pull myself away from whatever book I choose to read. Do any other ISFPs get bored easily with tasks assigned by somebody else (teacher/boss/parent), but find that they are extremely motivated when they are granted freedom to pursue their own interests?

KDude

Yep.. :)

I think ISTPs might be slightly like this too, not sure.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Do any other ISFPs get bored easily with tasks assigned by somebody else (teacher/boss/parent), but find that they are extremely motivated when they are granted freedom to pursue their own interests?

Of course, you can't fake passion.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
hello :)

I just joined Typology Central... I'm an ISFP, but I need to ask this question to all other ISFPs out there:

I'm a student in college (German Language B.A.) and I always have a lot of assigned reading to do in my classes... and I always struggle to actually start reading and about three pages into the book I'm either asleep or get distracted. However, when we get to choose our own books to read for independent papers and presentations, I can't seem to pull myself away from whatever book I choose to read. Do any other ISFPs get bored easily with tasks assigned by somebody else (teacher/boss/parent), but find that they are extremely motivated when they are granted freedom to pursue their own interests?

Absolutely! Can't stand to read text books even if it's my choice. However other kind of books that I choose I usually love. I don't know how many times I have downsized my "library" at home.

And ISTPs can't fake interest :D

:laugh: Ain't that the truth! :laugh: That's so true of my ISTP husband. He will usually let me know that he is not interested in listening to what I have to say. Then he wonders why I don't talk to him about certain things. :laugh:

Sunny Ghost

Out of curiosity, what do you ISFP's do for a living or hope to do career wise? If in school, what are you studying?

KDude

i don't really have any plans. i keep mulling over the idea of some lazy job, where i can enjoy plenty of passive entertainment, and occassionally harrass people or take their money. like a librarian.

Sunny Ghost

i don't really have any plans. i keep mulling over the idea of some lazy job, where i can enjoy plenty of passive entertainment, and occassionally harrass people or take their money. like a librarian.

hahaha.

Sunny Ghost

sometimes i feel like i'm setting myself up for failure. i'll have these big plans, and just can't follow through, or just don't have enough confidence in myself to follow through. i do become frustrated with learning things i feel have no practical application. and in my worldview, i feel like the only true practical thing to do is to do something where i can feel useful or as though i'm helping, whether it be people, animals or the environment. but i'm just not good at the school thing and am so afraid i'll wind up a drop out, waiting tables for the rest of my life. :( i've been dragging out the school thing for a while now, too. and so i feel like i have to finish, since i'd been at it for this long. but as soooon as some emotional unrest heads my way, i let everything around me fall apart-including my grades. ::shruggs::