• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] The ISFP Thread

KDude

I've seen this is other istp guys. Something in them just screams Fi, but the Ti takes over, especially in a world where guys are perceived as needing to be T. Fi and Ti are very similar in the way that they delve inward; into the mind, exploring and inducing. I think they can work well together. Sometimes istjs are more like intjs; they both can use Si and Ni well. Si and Ni are not that dissimilar in the way that they both go inward to fathom the unfathomable. Same with Fe and Te and Se and Ne. I think of them as sister functions. Some simply seem to have an innate proclivity to do this, while others develop it over time.

Interesting take..

I'm going to think about this some more. Probably would be a good idea to buy a book.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I feel honored to be part of this club.
Today, I had a very happy Ti moment. I was vacuuming when, all of a sudden, the vacuum cleaner decided to make a meal out of the end of the sheer curtain. I turned off the vacuum and made it... um... regurgitate. It was not a happy camper because I deprived it of its snack so it took its revenge by refusing to suck up anything else, such as cat hair. I vacuumed fruitlessly, visualizing myself buying an expensive new vacuum cleaner for my sister (the proud owner of the vacuum cleaner). I informed myself that I was stupid and that I had committed vacuum cleaner-icide. Then I turned off the machine and looked at the bottom. I saw a reset button and pressed it as an experiment. Sure enough, it worked! I turned on the vacuum cleaner and it was no longer on strike! It began consuming all of the cat hair!!! I then informed myself that I was smart and not a vacuum cleaner murderer after all!!!
So dramatic!
Lots of Ti and Fi or was that Fe???

Welcome to the ISXP club. I see myself as a mix, a typological mongrel.

KDude

Even though I kinda dropped isfp for now.. I need to comment. I hate talking about relationships or shitty emotions I'm going through (like a down period) especially. Maybe not even good feelings...I don't know how to respond to compliments/heavy affection right away... or return the favor with the same excitement (maybe I shouldn't have to?). Even though I appreciate it.

I also don't like questions like "What've you been up to lately?" or "How was your week?" like I'm supposed to tell a story or what? My answer is usually "Not much"... then what I did do might come out spontaneously later on.

That said, if I have a new kick/idea/interest in my head, I'm very excitable/Fe like, and start rambling about it. Or if someone mentions something really interesting in a conversation, I can't contain myself.

KDude

Well I definitely talk more than your friend it seems. This may or may not matter, but how old are you two? I think I was even less talkative when younger.

I don't think I'm ISFP though because I can be explosive (not so much now, but it's still on the table), and don't identify with the non-assertive descriptions.. or the "easily taken advantage" of stuff. I'm a 33 year old guy with my own share of crazy history. Just the idea of being some meek childlike dude is... silly.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, you really need to look past that stuff. I don't feel I am any of these things either. And some istp have the opposite reaction to the istp descriptions.

KDude

I'll try man. ;) It just sucks. It makes me feel like a fraud. I refined my value system for sure..and try to do better.. but I still wouldn't call myself meek these days either.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I don't like talking about relationships, either. I'd rather just experience them. As for shitty emotions, I try to distract myself with something positive and fun in hopes that the shitty emotion will just depart on its own. Sometimes that is very effective. As for responding to compliments, I ... um... say "thank you."
But I don't mind the what have you been up to lately or how was your week? I can hardly wait to tell a story! It is great fun for me. In fact, I try to do stuff that I know has story telling potential. Falling out of rafts, getting tossed in jail, encountering huge rodents, etc... oh boy! It's all great material for more stories!!! And I can hardly resist the temptation to elaborate to make the stories more and more dramatic...
Maybe I'm an (eek) esfp????????????

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I'm not meek, either. I don't think that you have to be a wimp to be an isfp.:doh::workout:

I'll try man. ;) It just sucks. It makes me feel like a fraud. I refined my value system for sure..and try to do better.. but I still wouldn't call myself meek these days either.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, well I mean, what would make either type meek or not? I mean really? If you look past any stereotype bullshit. If you really look at the essence there is nothing in it. Just an orientation, a way of thinking.

Rather than punishing yourself over type. Which type am I and all that, just take what you need. There isn't any need to adapt to a system, a model, force it to adapt to you.

I dunno, depends what you want. Aren't a lot of answers here beyond what you have now.

KDude

I can hardly wait to tell a story! It is great fun for me. In fact, I try to do stuff that I know has story telling potential. Falling out of rafts, getting tossed in jail, encountering huge rodents, etc... oh boy! It's all great material for more stories!!! And I can hardly resist the temptation to elaborate to make the stories more and more dramatic...
Maybe I'm an (eek) esfp????????????

That's because your stories are awesome it seems :D.

B

brainheart

I don't think I'm ISFP though because I can be explosive (not so much now, but it's still on the table), and don't identify with the non-assertive descriptions.. or the "easily taken advantage" of stuff. I'm a 33 year old guy with my own share of crazy history. Just the idea of being some meek childlike dude is... silly.

None of what you say seems un-ISFP to me. Are you enneagram 9w8 per chance? I think we can get pretty aggressive at times- I know I can. Don't pay so much attention to the descriptions. I think ISFPs and ISTPs can seem very similar because I think we often have similar interests, what with being introverts and having Se as our extroverted function and all...

The ISFP descriptions are often seriously flawed. Did you get that Lenore Thomson book like I recommended? It has a great explanation of Fi (and Ti), as well as the best profiles, I do believe.

I mean, maybe you are ISTP, who knows? But something tells me you aren't, I guess cause I feel like we've connected on the Fi, which is something I tend to notice with people. It's like dominant Fi-users just instantly get each other.

KDude

I just ordered that book actually. I'm a procrastinator ;) But yeah, I don't think I'm totally without Fi. And you're one of the posters I can relate to a lot (like communication style, etc). But hell, there are not many misunderstandings with any Fi-Se/ isfps really. INFPs and ENFPs, a little.

Anyways, I'll probably get a better picture after reading.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Wolfy
KDude
Kingfisher

All ISXPs

I'm pretty certain of my ISFPness, I think you guys do have a type, seems kind of like an enneagram thing too.

You can use both Ti and Fi but it's a matter of figuring out which one feels natural like a well fitting glove and which one takes a bit more effort.

I think Fi (and therefore ISFPs) can certainly be explosive though, because Fi is mostly happening behind the scenes, simmering away perhaps and then all of a sudden it boils over and everyone knows about it (perhaps even to the surprise of the ISFP themselves), whereas you can tell almost right away when something is bothering an Fe type.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wolfy
KDude
Kingfisher

All ISXPs

I'm pretty certain of my ISFPness, I think you guys do have a type, seems kind of like an enneagram thing too.

You can use both Ti and Fi but it's a matter of figuring out which one feels natural like a well fitting glove and which one takes a bit more effort.

I think Fi (and therefore ISFPs) can certainly be explosive though, because Fi is mostly happening behind the scenes, simmering away perhaps and then all of a sudden it boils over and everyone knows about it (perhaps even to the surprise of the ISFP themselves), whereas you can tell almost right away when something is bothering an Fe type.

:yes:
Up until I was 16, I would have these points where I would just explode and scare people around me. I was soft spoken and often never knew how to express my hurt or disagreement, resulting in it building and exploding on my family. I would hit, scream and just spazz out in ways that always surprised me and others. Especially between the ages of 13-16, I did things I can never take back because I was such an angry, insecure girl.

So yes, ISFPs can get explosive. It's really how and where you direct it all. I had to make the decision that I wasn't going to explode on my family anymore and better communicate my frustrations. It's been almost four years since the last time I hit or screamed at anyone.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
:yes:
Up until I was 16, I would have these points where I would just explode and scare people around me. I was soft spoken and often never knew how to express my hurt or disagreement, resulting in it building and exploding on my family. I would hit, scream and just spazz out in ways that always surprised me and others. Especially between the ages of 13-16, I did things I can never take back because I was such an angry, insecure girl.

So yes, ISFPs can get explosive. It's really how and where you direct it all. I had to make the decision that I wasn't going to explode on my family anymore and better communicate my frustrations. It's been almost four years since the last time I hit or screamed at anyone.

*jumps up and down*

yeah, i actually freaked my parents out in high school when i was being teased by a few kids because i would tell them i was going to do stuff like shove people down a flight of steps, etc.

if you notice the lower case NT in my profile, it's because i'm convinced i'm almost a 50/50 split between ISFP and INTP. i can relate to this, and the ISFP passive-agressive type thing. i have a lot of ISFP interests, ie philosophy, nature/ animals, freak out if i'm stuck around conflict and am diagnosed with ADD. i also suck miserably at math.

however, i don't really have much interest in seeing a lot of my ideas implemented...i love thinking just for thinking's sake, have difficulty identifying and being flexible with other peoples' emotions, and have been known to act absurdly similar to House (from the tv show) when in thought or pissed off. i'm also a word and strategy game enthusiast, ESPECIALLY words. scrabble, words searches, hangman, you name it. i'm also absurdly fond of lists for some reason :confused:, although i have no clue what type this identifies with

and i'm gonna end post here because i'm getting carried away.