First 1234513 Last

Thread: The ISFP Thread

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    Are ISFPs prone to rambling if they're nervous?
    Nope.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Most of the type profiles I've read for ISFPs say they don't like to talk too much and that they're generally not good with words. It seems that they must find different outlets to express how they feel, such as art, cooking, and other things like that.

What is the dominant function? How do ISFPs employ 'S' - Si or Se? What are some examples/ways they employ the Si or Se in a day-to-day manner?

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Walking Tourist's evil twin speaks: "Hey! Use more respect when you speak about me! I am more than just some ugly little ENTJ shadow! I will rule the world! *wicked cackle*

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    That's the ugly little ENTJ shadow conspiring for world domination.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Oh, yes. When I am nervous, I am a terrible motormouth. Also I can't stay on topic. I'll just babble about anything and will interrupt myself if I see something that looks more interesting. Also, I'm not good at sitting still. I'll get up suddenly and start straightening pictures on the wall, even in the middle of a conversation. I can't stand seeing tilted pictures. If something just pops in my mind, I'll start talking about it. I'm amazed that people can follow all of this chatter. Sometimes I wonder: what the heck was I talking about before I went off on that tangent? I forgot...
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

The dominant function for an isfp is Fi. The auxiliary function is Se. I am very fascinated and observant of my environment at the moment. It is an extraverted function. But it's always combined with my dominant function, Fi. So this morning, for example, I went outside to get my father's newspaper from the box. It had been raining and the worms were crawling on the driveway. I see them there and I see that the sky is beginning to clear. I smell springtime. It's a new, fresh smell. I hear the birds singing. And I think, those poor worms will dry up and die. I pick them up and throw them in the grass so that they can crawl back in the dirt and live a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What is the dominant function? How do ISFPs employ 'S' - Si or Se? What are some examples/ways they employ the Si or Se in a day-to-day manner?

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Oh, yes. When I am nervous, I am a terrible motormouth. Also I can't stay on topic. I'll just babble about anything and will interrupt myself if I see something that looks more interesting..
    I do that only when I'm excited.

When I'm nervous I shutdown myself from everything and everybody.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I only shut down when I'm sad or when I'm overstimulated by too much noise. When I'm excited or nervous, I babble. It's funny when I do it in Spanish. There's nothing like babbling in a foreign language...

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    I do that only when I'm excited.

When I'm nervous I shutdown myself from everything and everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    The dominant function for an isfp is Fi. The auxiliary function is Se. I am very fascinated and observant of my environment at the moment. It is an extraverted function. But it's always combined with my dominant function, Fi. So this morning, for example, I went outside to get my father's newspaper from the box. It had been raining and the worms were crawling on the driveway. I see them there and I see that the sky is beginning to clear. I smell springtime. It's a new, fresh smell. I hear the birds singing. And I think, those poor worms will dry up and die. I pick them up and throw them in the grass so that they can crawl back in the dirt and live a little longer.
    I have definitely rescued worms after a rainstorm, too! I just feel so bad for them. I guess then this (and other things too) makes me wonder... am I an ENFP very in touch with Se, or am I something else with an actual S in the name? I would say that a significant portion of the time I am absorbing the environment, kind of like osmosis or something, savoring different aesthetic experiences, touches, smells, sounds, etc. I also like sports a LOT and things like gardening or painting the house or building furniture with my dad...

But then I am a lot of the time looking at theories and making connections between all these different ideas... I really do like ideas.

And I looove people and just cherishing each person exactly as they are, hearing their stories and trying to understand where they're coming from.

Ok ok ok... enough about me, gromit. For now, let's just focus on one thing: I want to understand what makes S different from N. Do we all use the different functions anyway, just PREFER some over the others? Is that part of maturation, learning to at least use lots of ways of processing and deciding and acting?

Here's what I posted in the Fictional S Characters thread:
    So when a character or person exhibits sensing in one of these movies (or in real life), it's almost like an intuition, but based on a deep experiential knowledge of a system?

What do you guys think of that observation?

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

We are very much alike, Gromit.
    I too am fascinated by people. I love them. They all have great stories to tell. I feel energized when I can get people to tell me their stories.
    I like ideas but I probably am a little less focused on theory. I understand theory but it's not really my favorite thing.
    Yes, I think that you probably are an ENFP who is using your Se to great effect.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I have definitely rescued worms after a rainstorm, too! I just feel so bad for them. I guess then this (and other things too) makes me wonder... am I an ENFP very in touch with Se, or am I something else with an actual S in the name? I would say that a significant portion of the time I am absorbing the environment, kind of like osmosis or something, savoring different aesthetic experiences, touches, smells, sounds, etc. I also like sports a LOT and things like gardening or painting the house or building furniture with my dad...

But then I am a lot of the time looking at theories and making connections between all these different ideas... I really do like ideas.

And I looove people and just cherishing each person exactly as they are, hearing their stories and trying to understand where they're coming from.

Ok ok ok... enough about me, gromit. For now, let's just focus on one thing: I want to understand what makes S different from N. Do we all use the different functions anyway, just PREFER some over the others? Is that part of maturation, learning to at least use lots of ways of processing and deciding and acting?

Here's what I posted in the Fictional S Characters thread:
    So when a character or person exhibits sensing in one of these movies (or in real life), it's almost like an intuition, but based on a deep experiential knowledge of a system?

What do you guys think of that observation?