• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP Baby ~ Opinions please!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My 5 year daughter is very much an SP. She is extremely in tune with her body and takes everything in a very straight forward manner. I could list all the crazy stuff she has done/can do if I need to answer specific questions.

My questions that I would love to have input on:

Are you physically oriented? Do you have talent in that area? If so, what helped you hone it as a child?

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their innate physical abilities?

(I don't mind non-sp's answering)

Last edited:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One particular note I keep about SPs is that they have a super destructive side, particularly extraverted ones. I've watched it happen, it's scary, they just keep pushing things until they break.

I would have thought most SPs are totally driven to find their inate physical abilities. Playing in bands, jumping off jetties, playing extreme sports, driving like lunatics... They hone in on these activities. Remember that people are most happy when they percieve themselves as winning, so I suppose exposing a child to more 'stuff that they could win at' would give them a higher chance of being happy? It's hard to tell whether that's a good thing or not though. /odd ramble :laugh:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are you physically oriented? Do you have talent in that area? If so, what helped you hone it as a child?

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their inate physical abilities?

These are either really simple questions, or really tough ones, depending on how much I think about it. :alttongue:

I guess I am physically oriented. I'm not entirely sure what that means. As a child, I was certainly very physically active. I played all kinds of sports, both in organized team situations as well as playing around with my brothers or friends or just by myself either in the yard or just in my room. It's always been pretty much impossible for me to sit still. When I watch sports on tv (or anything active really) I want to act it out. So I would usually not sit through an entire football game for instance, before going out in the yard to throw the football around or go in my room and throw a mini football around (my parents hated the indoor version, especially since my bedroom was on the second story, so if they were downstairs then my continual tackling of myself on the floor would created a thud in the ceiling down there.)

I guess as far as the ways to encourage a kid, I think the best way is just to give them opportunities. Don't set up too many situations where your daughter is supposed to sit still and not move around. Obviously, there are some situations where she just has to, but any time there is an opportunity to provide physical play, then by all means do so. Also, as king-of-despair alluded to, provide some stuff that it's okay for her to break or bend. Or stomp on. Or throw. Obviously I know you can't build a rubber room, but my gosh would that have been sweet growing up. If I could have had a room I could just throw stuff at the walls and bounce up and down kicking and rolling around on things, I think I would have been a much happier kid.

If you saw the movie "Step Brothers" - think of the scene where they sleepwalk and destroy the kitchen. Ever since I saw that movie, I've been thinking there must be some way to recreate that experience for kids. That would be so awesome! :D

Did that help at all? :blush:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not all that physically oriented now and I was even less so as a child, though I was out wandering in the forest all the time if that counts. Mostly I was reading, I always loved to read. Probably some of that was lack of opportunity though since my parents didn't organize any activities and we lived waaay out in backwoods country. I did have a decent sized garden and enjoyed that (still do).

I wish now that I'd been in organized sports as a child. Things like basic soccer skills are a lot harder to learn for the first time in your 20s! I also always wanted a trampoline, haha. That and a horse ;)

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My 5 year daughter is very much an SP. She is extremely in tune with her body and takes everything in a very straight forward manner. I could list all the crazy stuff she has done/can do if I need to answer specific questions.

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their inate physical abilities?

I am extremely physically oriented. As a child all photos of me are action shots since I could not sit still. I still don't know how to be still and pose. Talent? Nope. My parents gave me plenty of space to run when they could. I did organized sports, swimming, gymnastics, judo, etc. I was involved in school sports and eventually those things did not interest me but I enjoy dancing at clubs, walking, volleyball, swimming and lifting weights.

My eldest is an ESXP (most likely and a lefty if that matters) has no physical awareness, no rhythm and she cannot sit still. I put her in dance (tap) and after two years, has some awareness. I suspect that this won't change much until her body/mind is ready to learn some physical awareness.

My middle child is an ISXP/J (4 yrs old) and is very physically oriented, born with rhythm. I finally choose to put her in gymnastic (since she already enjoyed tumbling) and have not looked back. She is not interested in doing anything else.

I will give them swimming and skating lessons when the time comes. They also have grandparents who own a farm so they can be outdoors, ride bikes, nature walks etc.

I have found the best way to encourage children to be physical is to do the activity with them.

Hope this helps.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I played softball and soccer and ran cross country and track when younger... perfect running form is signifigantly easier to learn when you're younger and it prevents injuries when you get older.... well, overuse injuries anyways :doh:

I was very active as a child- if something could be climbed, I was on it and if something looked like dangerous fun I would be there :devil:

I'd suggest getting her involved in what she's interested in, because if she's not interested she'll wonder why you're making her do something that's not fun and she might resent it a bit :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tried baseball and stuff, but gave up because it cut into my time to play. I enjoyed riding bikes as fast as I could, pulling others on skateboards with bike, jumps, at playgrounds I would walk on the bars/handrails and always pushed my ability to balance and be very coordinated. Climbed onto and jumped off roofs. Sports was to "organized" for me. The first martial arts I did was heavily stand and punch, kick, and got bored. Not enough full body movement, interaction, and coordination.

I lost interest in things that caused me to become specialized liked batting, pitching. I wasnt interested in precision, but more along the lines of overall ability. It would be like free-form vs having a set routine where I liked the free-form. I wanted the ability to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their innate physical abilities?

I was in gymnastics when I was little, 3-5 range, then again in 6th grade. I was decent at it, but a slow learner of sorts. My mom said when I first started that I'd watch the teacher, then the other students and go last to try something new in gymnastics.

Speaking of slow learning... My first language is English. I moved to Honduras when I was 5 and went to school with a bunch of kids whose 2nd language was/is English. In 4th grade I got put into the slow English/Reading class 'cause I was always slow to complete classwork. I still kinda resent that. :(

As for what to do with a kid... Just put them in a couple of lessons and see what the teachers say. They know if a kid is good or even cares about the stuff. My 5th grade teacher told my mom to put me in art. I really liked my art classes I took outside of school. The teacher was possibly the best part. When I was in dance (jazz and tap), I purposely didn't follow the uniform rules 'cause I didn't care if I got kicked out for the hour. The teacher knew I was breaking the rules long before my mom did.

I lost interest in things that caused me to become specialized liked batting, pitching. I wasnt interested in precision, but more along the lines of overall ability. It would be like free-form vs having a set routine where I liked the free-form. I wanted the ability to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

That's still me to this day. I don't want to be the best at whatever it is. There are plenty of other people who are more talented than I am. I just wanna get a decent understanding and move on to the next cool thing.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I guess as far as the ways to encourage a kid, I think the best way is just to give them opportunities. Don't set up too many situations where your daughter is supposed to sit still and not move around. Obviously, there are some situations where she just has to, but any time there is an opportunity to provide physical play, then by all means do so. Also, as king-of-despair alluded to, provide some stuff that it's okay for her to break or bend. Or stomp on. Or throw. Obviously I know you can't build a rubber room, but my gosh would that have been sweet growing up. If I could have had a room I could just throw stuff at the walls and bounce up and down kicking and rolling around on things, I think I would have been a much happier kid.

Holy Jesus, Lord of All That Is Good, that would have been AMAZING as a kid! :yay: I remember well the longing for the ability to just let go in full berserk mode and not have to worry about permanently damaging anything. :cheese: :nice:

That's why I loved those moonwalk playpens so much, you can do whatever the hell you want in there and it doesn't even matter! :D It makes it SO tempting for an SP to act like an absolute lunatic so that they can get locked up in a rubber padded room! :newwink:

I think I would've developed as a much, MUCH healthier kid and adult if I had had something even close to that scope of awesomeness. :rock: Hey, at least there was the ball pen. :newwink:

As for me now, I always have to be up and moving. If I'm sitting down too long, my knee starts jerking up and down incessantly. If I hear an upbeat jam my body starts moving on its own, I can't control it, I swear! :newwink: If I don't get up and dance I feel like something inside me is dying. :cry:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I even have a hard time watching movies. If the movie doesn't fully interest me I'll either get up and do something else or fall asleep. I'm not that much of a spectator; I have to be involved somehow.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
These are only a few pictures of me as a young hellyun:

holla.jpg

catstrangler.jpg

buckethead.jpg

There are more at my mom's place where I'm climbing all over tables or mopping the floor in my dad's shoes or smearing my face with chocolate cake. :D

My mom got ONE picture of me sitting down... and that was after she persisted with strenuous effort in trying to get me to sit down in a "cute" inflatable bear chair to watch a little TV. I'm pretty sure I got up right after that and raced away, though. ;) hahahaha.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are more at my mom's place where I'm climbing all over tables or mopping the floor in my dad's shoes or smearing my face with chocolate cake. :D

My mom got ONE picture of me sitting down... and that was after she persisted with strenuous effort in trying to get me to sit down in a "cute" inflatable bear chair to watch a little TV. I'm pretty sure I got up right after that and raced away, though. ;) hahahaha.

Yeah, my mom recently said to me "When you were a child, you were diagnosed as almost hyperactive.." I loved how she said "almost" like she wouldn't want to admit I was fully hyperactive. :laugh:

She told me the story of the first time I ever ate solid food as a baby. It wasn't something that was fed to me. My mom was holding me too close to a table where a plate of spaghetti and meat sauce was sitting. Her description of what happened was something like "You dove your face into it and starting chowing down."

It's too bad they didn't have a camera handy at that time, because a pic of my spaghettified face would be one I would frame. :D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I absolutely love raising my ESP, we have so much fun. Everything is so straight forward and about doing everything fully. <3

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It's funny, because I am an INTP, my brother an ISTP, and our childhood styles couldn't have been more different. My parents could park me in a corner with some blocks, legos, GI Joes and I'd sit there and go to town, whereas my brother was all over the place breaking things over my head while I pretended he wasn't there. Most of all, he loved having an impact on his world. He wanted to get to the top of something. He wanted to move something. He wanted to break something. It's like they want to force the environment into as many configurations as possible so they can see what it looks like.

So, anything that offers the SP the chance to interact and overcome environmental obstacles is something they'll probably love. My brother loved gymnastics and loved playgrounds. I'd create scavenger hunts, where the object or goal is clearly visible, but some kind of physical obstacles must be overcome to reach the treasure/prize.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was a kid my parents had me enrolled in karate, gymnastics, a swim team and music lessons. It was all they could do to keep me busy. I highly recommend giving your kid activities, as sitting still is not possible for a happy SP. :)

wolfy

awsm

I am pretty physically oriented. For me it has always been about the way things are done. The how. I remember as a kid being intrigued by the steps needed to achieve some feat. The progression, that is what really interests me.

I was thinking that another more general way of approaching the question of keeping interest is How do we maintain intrinsic motivation. I know that extrinsic motivation can kill intrinsic motivation so that is one thing. I think that is a useful angle. Also to think about flow to enhance intrinsic motivation.

I think over time sports and play in general need to move from general to more specific. As kids grow there are more time constraints and they need to focus. That is all about timing I guess. And depends on the individual situation.

Just some thoughts. Interesting question.

KDude

probably repeating things here, but get them involved in sports..buy her a skateboard too. as long as she has someone around with some know how, she'll pick it up easily. we learn by doing.

but... expect some injuries. it's hard to protect every part of the body sometimes. hate to scare ya, but at least, it worked out that way for me :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didnt terrorize or break anything much. I loved creeks(especially ones with rope swings), parks, bikes, skateboards, did sport some, martial arts, helping my dad build and fix things. I was just always active.

B

brainheart

According to my baby book, I taught myself how to swim and dive when I was two; the only times I was on the floor was when I was dancing. Otherwise, I was climbing- on to the counters, up the door frames, in our trees, you name it. I didn't take naps, unless there was a light shining in my face or I was at the dinner table, then I would fall asleep in my food.

Biggest advice- spend as much time outdoors as humanly possible! Allow your child freedom to explore outdoors- don't overly worry. Climbing trees is the best! Don't get too into the structured team sports, if that's not her thing. Allow her to play, don't sweat 'the rules'. (I'm referring to all playing here, musical instruments included.) I always felt incompetent and uncoordinated when it came to team sports, following directions, lessons, rules, but solo stuff, stuff I could teach myself, get a feel for, I always excelled. Too bad I had no exposure to things like skateboarding, rock climbing, and surfing as a kid. (Not to mention had someone teach me music who didn't consider it imperative how to read notes.) I think it would have given me much more confidence in my abilities.

KDude

oh yes, loved tree climbing as a kid. i used to do stuff that i haven't tried in awhile (like hang upside down like spider-man and flip off backwards off of limbs.. i knew another kid who tried that and he ate it.. broke his arm. he must have not had Se :rolleyes: the worst was this kid swinging off a... wait, nevermind. :D)