123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default SP Baby ~ Opinions please!

My 5 year daughter is very much an SP. She is extremely in tune with her body and takes everything in a very straight forward manner. I could list all the crazy stuff she has done/can do if I need to answer specific questions.

My questions that I would love to have input on:

Are you physically oriented? Do you have talent in that area? If so, what helped you hone it as a child?

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their innate physical abilities?

(I don't mind non-sp's answering)
    Last edited by Laurie; 04-05-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Apparently I don't know how to spell.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

One particular note I keep about SPs is that they have a super destructive side, particularly extraverted ones. I've watched it happen, it's scary, they just keep pushing things until they break.

I would have thought most SPs are totally driven to find their inate physical abilities. Playing in bands, jumping off jetties, playing extreme sports, driving like lunatics... They hone in on these activities. Remember that people are most happy when they percieve themselves as winning, so I suppose exposing a child to more 'stuff that they could win at' would give them a higher chance of being happy? It's hard to tell whether that's a good thing or not though. /odd ramble
    5 3 9

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
    Are you physically oriented? Do you have talent in that area? If so, what helped you hone it as a child?

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their inate physical abilities?
    These are either really simple questions, or really tough ones, depending on how much I think about it.

I guess I am physically oriented. I'm not entirely sure what that means. As a child, I was certainly very physically active. I played all kinds of sports, both in organized team situations as well as playing around with my brothers or friends or just by myself either in the yard or just in my room. It's always been pretty much impossible for me to sit still. When I watch sports on tv (or anything active really) I want to act it out. So I would usually not sit through an entire football game for instance, before going out in the yard to throw the football around or go in my room and throw a mini football around (my parents hated the indoor version, especially since my bedroom was on the second story, so if they were downstairs then my continual tackling of myself on the floor would created a thud in the ceiling down there.)

I guess as far as the ways to encourage a kid, I think the best way is just to give them opportunities. Don't set up too many situations where your daughter is supposed to sit still and not move around. Obviously, there are some situations where she just has to, but any time there is an opportunity to provide physical play, then by all means do so. Also, as king-of-despair alluded to, provide some stuff that it's okay for her to break or bend. Or stomp on. Or throw. Obviously I know you can't build a rubber room, but my gosh would that have been sweet growing up. If I could have had a room I could just throw stuff at the walls and bounce up and down kicking and rolling around on things, I think I would have been a much happier kid.

If you saw the movie "Step Brothers" - think of the scene where they sleepwalk and destroy the kitchen. Ever since I saw that movie, I've been thinking there must be some way to recreate that experience for kids. That would be so awesome!

Did that help at all?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not all that physically oriented now and I was even less so as a child, though I was out wandering in the forest all the time if that counts. Mostly I was reading, I always loved to read. Probably some of that was lack of opportunity though since my parents didn't organize any activities and we lived waaay out in backwoods country. I did have a decent sized garden and enjoyed that (still do).

I wish now that I'd been in organized sports as a child. Things like basic soccer skills are a lot harder to learn for the first time in your 20s! I also always wanted a trampoline, haha. That and a horse
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

My 5 year daughter is very much an SP. She is extremely in tune with her body and takes everything in a very straight forward manner. I could list all the crazy stuff she has done/can do if I need to answer specific questions.

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their inate physical abilities?

I am extremely physically oriented. As a child all photos of me are action shots since I could not sit still. I still don't know how to be still and pose. Talent? Nope. My parents gave me plenty of space to run when they could. I did organized sports, swimming, gymnastics, judo, etc. I was involved in school sports and eventually those things did not interest me but I enjoy dancing at clubs, walking, volleyball, swimming and lifting weights.

My eldest is an ESXP (most likely and a lefty if that matters) has no physical awareness, no rhythm and she cannot sit still. I put her in dance (tap) and after two years, has some awareness. I suspect that this won't change much until her body/mind is ready to learn some physical awareness.

My middle child is an ISXP/J (4 yrs old) and is very physically oriented, born with rhythm. I finally choose to put her in gymnastic (since she already enjoyed tumbling) and have not looked back. She is not interested in doing anything else.

I will give them swimming and skating lessons when the time comes. They also have grandparents who own a farm so they can be outdoors, ride bikes, nature walks etc.

I have found the best way to encourage children to be physical is to do the activity with them.

Hope this helps.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I played softball and soccer and ran cross country and track when younger... perfect running form is signifigantly easier to learn when you're younger and it prevents injuries when you get older.... well, overuse injuries anyways

I was very active as a child- if something could be climbed, I was on it and if something looked like dangerous fun I would be there

I'd suggest getting her involved in what she's interested in, because if she's not interested she'll wonder why you're making her do something that's not fun and she might resent it a bit
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STP

I tried baseball and stuff, but gave up because it cut into my time to play. I enjoyed riding bikes as fast as I could, pulling others on skateboards with bike, jumps, at playgrounds I would walk on the bars/handrails and always pushed my ability to balance and be very coordinated. Climbed onto and jumped off roofs. Sports was to "organized" for me. The first martial arts I did was heavily stand and punch, kick, and got bored. Not enough full body movement, interaction, and coordination.

I lost interest in things that caused me to become specialized liked batting, pitching. I wasnt interested in precision, but more along the lines of overall ability. It would be like free-form vs having a set routine where I liked the free-form. I wanted the ability to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ISTP

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their innate physical abilities?

I was in gymnastics when I was little, 3-5 range, then again in 6th grade. I was decent at it, but a slow learner of sorts. My mom said when I first started that I'd watch the teacher, then the other students and go last to try something new in gymnastics.

Speaking of slow learning... My first language is English. I moved to Honduras when I was 5 and went to school with a bunch of kids whose 2nd language was/is English. In 4th grade I got put into the slow English/Reading class 'cause I was always slow to complete classwork. I still kinda resent that.

As for what to do with a kid... Just put them in a couple of lessons and see what the teachers say. They know if a kid is good or even cares about the stuff. My 5th grade teacher told my mom to put me in art. I really liked my art classes I took outside of school. The teacher was possibly the best part. When I was in dance (jazz and tap), I purposely didn't follow the uniform rules 'cause I didn't care if I got kicked out for the hour. The teacher knew I was breaking the rules long before my mom did.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I lost interest in things that caused me to become specialized liked batting, pitching. I wasnt interested in precision, but more along the lines of overall ability. It would be like free-form vs having a set routine where I liked the free-form. I wanted the ability to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.
    That's still me to this day. I don't want to be the best at whatever it is. There are plenty of other people who are more talented than I am. I just wanna get a decent understanding and move on to the next cool thing.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I guess as far as the ways to encourage a kid, I think the best way is just to give them opportunities. Don't set up too many situations where your daughter is supposed to sit still and not move around. Obviously, there are some situations where she just has to, but any time there is an opportunity to provide physical play, then by all means do so. Also, as king-of-despair alluded to, provide some stuff that it's okay for her to break or bend. Or stomp on. Or throw. Obviously I know you can't build a rubber room, but my gosh would that have been sweet growing up. If I could have had a room I could just throw stuff at the walls and bounce up and down kicking and rolling around on things, I think I would have been a much happier kid.
    Holy Jesus, Lord of All That Is Good, that would have been AMAZING as a kid! I remember well the longing for the ability to just let go in full berserk mode and not have to worry about permanently damaging anything.

That's why I loved those moonwalk playpens so much, you can do whatever the hell you want in there and it doesn't even matter! It makes it SO tempting for an SP to act like an absolute lunatic so that they can get locked up in a rubber padded room!

I think I would've developed as a much, MUCH healthier kid and adult if I had had something even close to that scope of awesomeness. Hey, at least there was the ball pen.

As for me now, I always have to be up and moving. If I'm sitting down too long, my knee starts jerking up and down incessantly. If I hear an upbeat jam my body starts moving on its own, I can't control it, I swear! If I don't get up and dance I feel like something inside me is dying.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

I even have a hard time watching movies. If the movie doesn't fully interest me I'll either get up and do something else or fall asleep. I'm not that much of a spectator; I have to be involved somehow.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]