User Tag List

First 123 Last

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

These are only a few pictures of me as a young hellyun:

There are more at my mom's place where I'm climbing all over tables or mopping the floor in my dad's shoes or smearing my face with chocolate cake.

My mom got ONE picture of me sitting down... and that was after she persisted with strenuous effort in trying to get me to sit down in a "cute" inflatable bear chair to watch a little TV. I'm pretty sure I got up right after that and raced away, though. hahahaha.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    There are more at my mom's place where I'm climbing all over tables or mopping the floor in my dad's shoes or smearing my face with chocolate cake.

My mom got ONE picture of me sitting down... and that was after she persisted with strenuous effort in trying to get me to sit down in a "cute" inflatable bear chair to watch a little TV. I'm pretty sure I got up right after that and raced away, though. hahahaha.
    Yeah, my mom recently said to me "When you were a child, you were diagnosed as almost hyperactive.." I loved how she said "almost" like she wouldn't want to admit I was fully hyperactive.

She told me the story of the first time I ever ate solid food as a baby. It wasn't something that was fed to me. My mom was holding me too close to a table where a plate of spaghetti and meat sauce was sitting. Her description of what happened was something like "You dove your face into it and starting chowing down."

It's too bad they didn't have a camera handy at that time, because a pic of my spaghettified face would be one I would frame.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I absolutely love raising my ESP, we have so much fun. Everything is so straight forward and about doing everything fully. <3

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

It's funny, because I am an INTP, my brother an ISTP, and our childhood styles couldn't have been more different. My parents could park me in a corner with some blocks, legos, GI Joes and I'd sit there and go to town, whereas my brother was all over the place breaking things over my head while I pretended he wasn't there. Most of all, he loved having an impact on his world. He wanted to get to the top of something. He wanted to move something. He wanted to break something. It's like they want to force the environment into as many configurations as possible so they can see what it looks like.

So, anything that offers the SP the chance to interact and overcome environmental obstacles is something they'll probably love. My brother loved gymnastics and loved playgrounds. I'd create scavenger hunts, where the object or goal is clearly visible, but some kind of physical obstacles must be overcome to reach the treasure/prize.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

When I was a kid my parents had me enrolled in karate, gymnastics, a swim team and music lessons. It was all they could do to keep me busy. I highly recommend giving your kid activities, as sitting still is not possible for a happy SP.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Are you physically oriented? Do you have talent in that area? If so, what helped you hone it as a child?

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their innate physical abilities?
    I am pretty physically oriented. For me it has always been about the way things are done. The how. I remember as a kid being intrigued by the steps needed to achieve some feat. The progression, that is what really interests me.

I was thinking that another more general way of approaching the question of keeping interest is How do we maintain intrinsic motivation. I know that extrinsic motivation can kill intrinsic motivation so that is one thing. I think that is a useful angle. Also to think about flow to enhance intrinsic motivation.

I think over time sports and play in general need to move from general to more specific. As kids grow there are more time constraints and they need to focus. That is all about timing I guess. And depends on the individual situation.

Just some thoughts. Interesting question.

probably repeating things here, but get them involved in sports..buy her a skateboard too. as long as she has someone around with some know how, she'll pick it up easily. we learn by doing.

but... expect some injuries. it's hard to protect every part of the body sometimes. hate to scare ya, but at least, it worked out that way for me

MBTI
    STP

I didnt terrorize or break anything much. I loved creeks(especially ones with rope swings), parks, bikes, skateboards, did sport some, martial arts, helping my dad build and fix things. I was just always active.
    Im out, its been fun

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Are you physically oriented? Do you have talent in that area? If so, what helped you hone it as a child?

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their innate physical abilities?

(I don't mind non-sp's answering)
    According to my baby book, I taught myself how to swim and dive when I was two; the only times I was on the floor was when I was dancing. Otherwise, I was climbing- on to the counters, up the door frames, in our trees, you name it. I didn't take naps, unless there was a light shining in my face or I was at the dinner table, then I would fall asleep in my food.

Biggest advice- spend as much time outdoors as humanly possible! Allow your child freedom to explore outdoors- don't overly worry. Climbing trees is the best! Don't get too into the structured team sports, if that's not her thing. Allow her to play, don't sweat 'the rules'. (I'm referring to all playing here, musical instruments included.) I always felt incompetent and uncoordinated when it came to team sports, following directions, lessons, rules, but solo stuff, stuff I could teach myself, get a feel for, I always excelled. Too bad I had no exposure to things like skateboarding, rock climbing, and surfing as a kid. (Not to mention had someone teach me music who didn't consider it imperative how to read notes.) I think it would have given me much more confidence in my abilities.

oh yes, loved tree climbing as a kid. i used to do stuff that i haven't tried in awhile (like hang upside down like spider-man and flip off backwards off of limbs.. i knew another kid who tried that and he ate it.. broke his arm. he must have not had Se the worst was this kid swinging off a... wait, nevermind. )