• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Oblivious much?

KDude

Just wondering if this is a sensor thing? Do you not see people waving you down much as you're driving by? Or do people have to call your name multiple times to get your attention ----- even if you're right in front of them (and merely occupied with something)? I don't have any of these problems, but I run into it often.. and I'm sure some of these people are sensors (but SJs). Is heightened awareness an SP thing? I know that's supposedly a trait when it comes to art, tools, sports, etc.. Just wondering if it's the same in normal, everyday things.

Or maybe..people are ignoring me on purpose... :laugh:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm oblivious. If I can go to pick my kids up from school in a white tennie and a brown loafer, I can definitely miss someone driving by me. :laugh:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm pretty good about seeing or hearing people calling to me. I don't usually miss things like that.

But I do know lots of people who are oblivious to things like that. It's gotten annoying a few times. I just have to remind myself that not everyone has amazing eye sight and hearing like I do. ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I think I'm totally oblivious. SPs are much more aware of their surroundings - my ex was.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I may notice them, but it doesn't mean that I'll realize that they're trying to get MY attention :doh:

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Obliviousness seems like it would be more of an intuitive thing than a sensor thing.

KDude

my theory is that SJs can't multitask :laugh:

NFs are in their heads

NTs probably don't care

and SPs are awesome.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Some people are disasters. I see them put considerable effort on just focusing on figuring what the hell is in front of them. And they have driver's license. :(

Ouroboros

MBTI Type
INFP
It seems like it would be more of an S/N, especially if you're extroverted on top of sensing. My mom (ESFJ) and sister (ESFP) notice details about people and cars. They remember (in order) the cars people have had over the years, while I think every red car looks like our car and have tried to get into strangers' cars as a consequence.

Maybe you could wave with both hands when you drive past someone. That's bound to be more noticeable. :cheese:

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm terrible at noticing people trying to get my attention. I know it annoys people around me, especially at work, but I don't know what to do about it. I could focus on listening just in case, but that'd be way too boring.

KDude

It seems like it would be more of an S/N, especially if you're extroverted on top of sensing. My mom (ESFJ) and sister (ESFP) notice details about people and cars. They remember (in order) the cars people have had over the years, while I think every red car looks like our car and have tried to get into strangers' cars as a consequence.

Maybe you could wave with both hands when you drive past someone. That's bound to be more noticeable. :cheese:

Actually, I mean if out walking or something, and I see a friend drive by, I wave... and they don't see me.. they're just looking straight ahead. Happens often. That's something I never do. In fact, if I'm driving and see someone, I notice who they are from a long distance away before anyone even waves.

As for getting people's attention in the same room..there's one guy who comes to mind.. countless times I've been ignored once or twice when addressing him. He could just be watching TV, or have his back turned, doing a chore.. It doesn't really annoy me or anything. I just don't understand it.

On the flipside, he's absolutely anal. Neat freak, organizes everything, makes lists and charts..He's the kind of guy good to have on a camping trip as well. He organizes everything, and never forgets supplies, what foods to have, etc.. Maybe he relies on this stuff to keep anything together, I guess. Actually talk to him though, and you might not get his attention.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I mean if out walking or something, and I see a friend drive by, I wave... and they don't see me.. they're just looking straight ahead. Happens often. That's something I never do. In fact, if I'm driving and see someone, I notice who they are from a long distance away before anyone even waves.

As for getting people's attention in the same room..there's one guy who comes to mind.. countless times I've been ignored once or twice when addressing him. He could just be watching TV, or have his back turned, doing a chore.. It doesn't really annoy me or anything. I just don't understand it.

On the flipside, he's absolutely anal. Neat freak, organizes everything, makes lists and charts..He's the kind of guy good to have on a camping trip as well. He organizes everything, and never forgets supplies, what foods to have, etc.. Maybe he relies on this stuff to keep anything together, I guess. Actually talk to him though, and you might not get his attention.

probably an istj. i have gotten the feeling countless times that my ex could be staring right at me while i was talking and couldn't hear me over his to do list composition going on in his head.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Some people are disasters. I see them put considerable effort on just focusing on figuring what the hell is in front of them. And they have driver's license. :(
I totally wouldn't drive if I didn't have to. I know I'm a mess, so I try to be extra-cautious. Have had a few non-serious accidents but no speeding tickets. :laugh:

My ex-step-dad is one of the best drivers I've ever seen -- when he's not stoned. :doh:

KDude

probably an istj. i have gotten the feeling countless times that my ex could be staring right at me while i was talking and couldn't hear me over his to do list composition going on in his head.

heh yeah i guessed something like that.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Se would be the most "on-the-ball" function as it perceives its physical surroundings in its most concrete form. It is a very "present" function so naturally it would be more aware of things happening in the present and the outside world. While Si focusses on external things too, it is still an introverted function and it's also anchored in the past. Since SP's all use Se and SJ's use Si, I think it would be fair to say SJ's are more oblivious to their surroundings than SP's.

However, intuitives are probably even more oblivious than SJ's since their primary perceiving functions aren't limited to the present or the concrete. That being said, NF's offset this by being very people aware.

To use myself as an example: I am the kind of guy who hands money to the cashier and leaves without my purchase. I lose my wallet, I eat meals without realizing, I walk into signs, I "lose" my glasses only to realize 30 minutes later I am wearing them. My English prof said senility will be a smooth transition for me.:D But when I am in a conversation with someone I am extremely present and locked in.

KDude

Se would be the most "on-the-ball" function as it perceives its physical surroundings in its most concrete form. It is a very "present" function so naturally it would be more aware of things happening in the present and the outside world. While Si focusses on external things too, it is still an introverted function and it's also anchored in the past. Since SP's all use Se and SJ's use Si, I think it would be fair to say SJ's are more oblivious to their surroundings than SP's.

However, intuitives are probably even more oblivious than SJ's since their primary perceiving functions aren't limited to the present or the concrete. That being said, NF's offset this by being very people aware.

To use myself as an example: I am the kind of guy who hands money to the cashier and leaves without my purchase. I lose my wallet, I eat meals without realizing, I walk into signs, I "lose" my glasses only to realize 30 minutes later I am wearing them. My English prof said senility will be a smooth transition for me.:D But when I am in a conversation with someone I am extremely present and locked in.

yeah i keep hearing you NFs talk about your clumsiness (here and elsewhere). sounds funny or cute, but not particularly annoying :cool:

i think i'm more clumsy with certain types of sarcasm or innuendo. i sometimes read things at face value. that invites a certain kind of clumsiness (on the flipside, my humor sometimes can be too cutting).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
my theory is that SJs can't multitask :laugh:

NFs are in their heads

NTs probably don't care

and SPs are awesome.

I know SJs that are masters at multitasking. You have to be to run a business by yourself.

But I agree with the rest of your theory, especially the last line. :cool:

wolfy

awsm
Depends, sometimes I can just turn off and you have to yell at me. Other times I will be so into what I am doing peripheral stuff will be pushed out of awareness. Other times I am hyped up, just depends. I will sometimes get caught on a thought too and it is hard to get hold of me. Comparing myself with others around me I'm a bit on the oblivious side. Really depends, when I do something I am aware of my surroundings, for example when driving I will always see a cat before it moves and be already slowing down before it comes out. I can feel it getting ready to jump but I might miss people I know walking down the street (unless they jump in front of my car).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are gonna have to catch me and ask me. Sometimes I just dont want to answer.

The key to get an IJ to hear you is all in the voice. You gotta be able to immitate that loud stern, your up shit creek sound. Scares them, makes them jump, startles their current concentration and you will then have full attention.