User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Oblivious much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    It seems like it would be more of an S/N, especially if you're extroverted on top of sensing. My mom (ESFJ) and sister (ESFP) notice details about people and cars. They remember (in order) the cars people have had over the years, while I think every red car looks like our car and have tried to get into strangers' cars as a consequence.

Maybe you could wave with both hands when you drive past someone. That's bound to be more noticeable.
    Actually, I mean if out walking or something, and I see a friend drive by, I wave... and they don't see me.. they're just looking straight ahead. Happens often. That's something I never do. In fact, if I'm driving and see someone, I notice who they are from a long distance away before anyone even waves.

As for getting people's attention in the same room..there's one guy who comes to mind.. countless times I've been ignored once or twice when addressing him. He could just be watching TV, or have his back turned, doing a chore.. It doesn't really annoy me or anything. I just don't understand it.

On the flipside, he's absolutely anal. Neat freak, organizes everything, makes lists and charts..He's the kind of guy good to have on a camping trip as well. He organizes everything, and never forgets supplies, what foods to have, etc.. Maybe he relies on this stuff to keep anything together, I guess. Actually talk to him though, and you might not get his attention.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Actually, I mean if out walking or something, and I see a friend drive by, I wave... and they don't see me.. they're just looking straight ahead. Happens often. That's something I never do. In fact, if I'm driving and see someone, I notice who they are from a long distance away before anyone even waves.

As for getting people's attention in the same room..there's one guy who comes to mind.. countless times I've been ignored once or twice when addressing him. He could just be watching TV, or have his back turned, doing a chore.. It doesn't really annoy me or anything. I just don't understand it.

On the flipside, he's absolutely anal. Neat freak, organizes everything, makes lists and charts..He's the kind of guy good to have on a camping trip as well. He organizes everything, and never forgets supplies, what foods to have, etc.. Maybe he relies on this stuff to keep anything together, I guess. Actually talk to him though, and you might not get his attention.
    probably an istj. i have gotten the feeling countless times that my ex could be staring right at me while i was talking and couldn't hear me over his to do list composition going on in his head.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    Some people are disasters. I see them put considerable effort on just focusing on figuring what the hell is in front of them. And they have driver's license.
    I totally wouldn't drive if I didn't have to. I know I'm a mess, so I try to be extra-cautious. Have had a few non-serious accidents but no speeding tickets.

My ex-step-dad is one of the best drivers I've ever seen -- when he's not stoned.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    probably an istj. i have gotten the feeling countless times that my ex could be staring right at me while i was talking and couldn't hear me over his to do list composition going on in his head.

heh yeah i guessed something like that.

Enneagram

Se would be the most "on-the-ball" function as it perceives its physical surroundings in its most concrete form. It is a very "present" function so naturally it would be more aware of things happening in the present and the outside world. While Si focusses on external things too, it is still an introverted function and it's also anchored in the past. Since SP's all use Se and SJ's use Si, I think it would be fair to say SJ's are more oblivious to their surroundings than SP's.

However, intuitives are probably even more oblivious than SJ's since their primary perceiving functions aren't limited to the present or the concrete. That being said, NF's offset this by being very people aware.

To use myself as an example: I am the kind of guy who hands money to the cashier and leaves without my purchase. I lose my wallet, I eat meals without realizing, I walk into signs, I "lose" my glasses only to realize 30 minutes later I am wearing them. My English prof said senility will be a smooth transition for me. But when I am in a conversation with someone I am extremely present and locked in.

MBTI
    ISTP

my theory is that SJs can't multitask

NFs are in their heads

NTs probably don't care

and SPs are awesome.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Se would be the most "on-the-ball" function as it perceives its physical surroundings in its most concrete form. It is a very "present" function so naturally it would be more aware of things happening in the present and the outside world. While Si focusses on external things too, it is still an introverted function and it's also anchored in the past. Since SP's all use Se and SJ's use Si, I think it would be fair to say SJ's are more oblivious to their surroundings than SP's.

However, intuitives are probably even more oblivious than SJ's since their primary perceiving functions aren't limited to the present or the concrete. That being said, NF's offset this by being very people aware.

To use myself as an example: I am the kind of guy who hands money to the cashier and leaves without my purchase. I lose my wallet, I eat meals without realizing, I walk into signs, I "lose" my glasses only to realize 30 minutes later I am wearing them. My English prof said senility will be a smooth transition for me. But when I am in a conversation with someone I am extremely present and locked in.
    yeah i keep hearing you NFs talk about your clumsiness (here and elsewhere). sounds funny or cute, but not particularly annoying

i think i'm more clumsy with certain types of sarcasm or innuendo. i sometimes read things at face value. that invites a certain kind of clumsiness (on the flipside, my humor sometimes can be too cutting).

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

my theory is that SJs can't multitask

NFs are in their heads

NTs probably don't care

and SPs are awesome.
    I know SJs that are masters at multitasking. You have to be to run a business by yourself.

But I agree with the rest of your theory, especially the last line.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Depends, sometimes I can just turn off and you have to yell at me. Other times I will be so into what I am doing peripheral stuff will be pushed out of awareness. Other times I am hyped up, just depends. I will sometimes get caught on a thought too and it is hard to get hold of me. Comparing myself with others around me I'm a bit on the oblivious side. Really depends, when I do something I am aware of my surroundings, for example when driving I will always see a cat before it moves and be already slowing down before it comes out. I can feel it getting ready to jump but I might miss people I know walking down the street (unless they jump in front of my car).

MBTI
    STP

You are gonna have to catch me and ask me. Sometimes I just dont want to answer.

The key to get an IJ to hear you is all in the voice. You gotta be able to immitate that loud stern, your up shit creek sound. Scares them, makes them jump, startles their current concentration and you will then have full attention.
    Im out, its been fun