User Tag List

12 Last

Default ISFP specific - art and communication

I'm kind of curious about this description from the Kiersey website..

Composers are just as plentiful as the other Artisans, say nine or ten per cent of the population, but in general they are very difficult to observe and thus greatly misunderstood. Very likely the difficulty comes from their tendency not to express themselves verbally, but through their works of art. Composers are usually not interested in developing ability in public speaking, or even in the art of conversation; they prefer to feel the pulse of life by touch, in the muscles, in the eyes, in the ears, on the tongue. Make no mistake, Composers are just as interested as other types in sharing their view of the world, and if they find a medium of non-verbal communication-some art form-then they will express their character quite eloquently. If not, they simply remain unknown, their quietness leaving their character all but invisible.

Bold part emphasized.... because it's depressing.

So....verbal communication is not the ISFP's forte apparently. They channel much of their thoughts into art. And if they don't, they're... invisible.

Anyways, I'm not happy with my art. I used to draw, then picked up music in my teens. I've also had an interest in acting.. Nothing's really come out of any of them. And nowadays, my main artistic interest, music, is....just running dry. I can't even enjoy it by myself. I'm suffering a block. I'm bored of the riffs I'm playing. I've run out of people to play with, who might spark up new ideas. Sigh.. there's a lot I'd like to say, but I'll cut myself for now.

I'd like to know what your "art form" is.. how you express yourself.. and if you feel fulfilled? And if it's not a direct art form (like painting, music, theater, dancing), then maybe it's something more common that you feel you're artistic about... I'd like to know about that too. That is, if you can view any activity as artistic.

There was another MBTI description that was along the same lines as the above.. It basically said it was a shame if an ISFP remains silent. So what can we do if we're in this dilemma..? Should I just reconfigure myself to not even be ISFP at all?

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Art for me is making fun of the world. I never get bored.

yeah, but how?

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

With style.

Style in what way? Designing your clothes or what?

I make fun of the world too, but half of the stuff goes over people's heads (which is still funny to me, but whatever). I'd LOVE to do it through another medium, but like I said, I'm blocked. It's making me emo and shit.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Are you in a state of depression by chance? I personally find that when I'm in a state of depression, I'm not inspired to do anything and everything seems boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

I've had bad hair day since I was 9. So yeah.

I guess the times when I had good hair day is when the creative juices were flowing the best.

Hmm...That's a thought. Good hair. Gotta write this down somewhere.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

There you go! There is where it's at. If I have an afro, it's a no go .
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Isn't that a sterotype? I don't find this to be true for me.

MBTI
    XXFP

First off, I reject the whole "ISFP" specific part of the post (no insult), see my sig as to why. Artists are artists, but artists create different things for different reasons and express it in different ways. But artists, generally speaking, are observers. They see, they hear, they touch, they think, and they know through these processes.

An artist is only compelled to create "art" - and by art I mean something that is created through a following of intuition and observation; following a thread of feeling - as opposed to through some sort of contrivance or process. The latter is a science, or a ritual, or a creation in it's general form. Regardless of the subjective beauty of the end result, the key determining factor of whether something is "art", at least by the definition I'm using in this instance, is the process behind it's creation.

But carrying on with my point: an artist is compelled to create art when there is some sort of surge in emotion which needs to be expressed in some form. This is a spontaneous process. It simply comes from, or as many artists describe it - through - them, and the end product produces itself.

Art can be anything, then. It can manifest itself in any form. The artist doesn't produce art for others, or for himself, even, although he may benefit from the catharsis of the production. The artist simply produces because there is something to show. It's the natural consequence of his observation, his knowledge, his thoughts and feelings and accumulated experience.

Art creates itself.

If you are not creating art, you are either not observing, or not feeling, or you are unable, unwilling, on incapable of compelling yourself to do either. This has nothing to do with being some category. If you are human, this applies to you, and to you directly.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.