• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP specific - art and communication

KDude

I'm kind of curious about this description from the Kiersey website..

Composers are just as plentiful as the other Artisans, say nine or ten per cent of the population, but in general they are very difficult to observe and thus greatly misunderstood. Very likely the difficulty comes from their tendency not to express themselves verbally, but through their works of art. Composers are usually not interested in developing ability in public speaking, or even in the art of conversation; they prefer to feel the pulse of life by touch, in the muscles, in the eyes, in the ears, on the tongue. Make no mistake, Composers are just as interested as other types in sharing their view of the world, and if they find a medium of non-verbal communication-some art form-then they will express their character quite eloquently. If not, they simply remain unknown, their quietness leaving their character all but invisible.

Bold part emphasized.... because it's depressing.

So....verbal communication is not the ISFP's forte apparently. They channel much of their thoughts into art. And if they don't, they're... invisible.

Anyways, I'm not happy with my art. I used to draw, then picked up music in my teens. I've also had an interest in acting.. Nothing's really come out of any of them. And nowadays, my main artistic interest, music, is....just running dry. I can't even enjoy it by myself. I'm suffering a block. I'm bored of the riffs I'm playing. I've run out of people to play with, who might spark up new ideas. Sigh.. there's a lot I'd like to say, but I'll cut myself for now.

I'd like to know what your "art form" is.. how you express yourself.. and if you feel fulfilled? And if it's not a direct art form (like painting, music, theater, dancing), then maybe it's something more common that you feel you're artistic about... I'd like to know about that too. That is, if you can view any activity as artistic.

There was another MBTI description that was along the same lines as the above.. It basically said it was a shame if an ISFP remains silent. So what can we do if we're in this dilemma..? Should I just reconfigure myself to not even be ISFP at all? :laugh:

KDude

Style in what way? Designing your clothes or what? :D

I make fun of the world too, but half of the stuff goes over people's heads (which is still funny to me, but whatever). I'd LOVE to do it through another medium, but like I said, I'm blocked. It's making me emo and shit.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are you in a state of depression by chance? I personally find that when I'm in a state of depression, I'm not inspired to do anything and everything seems boring.

KDude

I've had bad hair day since I was 9. So yeah.

I guess the times when I had good hair day is when the creative juices were flowing the best.

Hmm...That's a thought. Good hair. Gotta write this down somewhere.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh: There you go! There is where it's at. If I have an afro, it's a no go :cool:.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
First off, I reject the whole "ISFP" specific part of the post (no insult), see my sig as to why. Artists are artists, but artists create different things for different reasons and express it in different ways. But artists, generally speaking, are observers. They see, they hear, they touch, they think, and they know through these processes.

An artist is only compelled to create "art" - and by art I mean something that is created through a following of intuition and observation; following a thread of feeling - as opposed to through some sort of contrivance or process. The latter is a science, or a ritual, or a creation in it's general form. Regardless of the subjective beauty of the end result, the key determining factor of whether something is "art", at least by the definition I'm using in this instance, is the process behind it's creation.

But carrying on with my point: an artist is compelled to create art when there is some sort of surge in emotion which needs to be expressed in some form. This is a spontaneous process. It simply comes from, or as many artists describe it - through - them, and the end product produces itself.

Art can be anything, then. It can manifest itself in any form. The artist doesn't produce art for others, or for himself, even, although he may benefit from the catharsis of the production. The artist simply produces because there is something to show. It's the natural consequence of his observation, his knowledge, his thoughts and feelings and accumulated experience.

Art creates itself.

If you are not creating art, you are either not observing, or not feeling, or you are unable, unwilling, on incapable of compelling yourself to do either. This has nothing to do with being some category. If you are human, this applies to you, and to you directly.

wolfy

awsm
I don't buy into the art thing so much. I do buy into the non verbal communication. Something through which you need to express yourself. Without that you are left somewhat mute I think. I don't really see a big difference in istp and isfp modes of expression. I think they merge in a way, expressing themselves through something.

KDude

First off, I reject the whole "ISFP" specific part of the post (no insult), see my sig as to why. Artists are artists, but artists create different things for different reasons and express it in different ways. But artists, generally speaking, are observers. They see, they hear, they touch, they think, and they know through these processes.

Sorry, that's not my intention to say ISFP is THE Artist or anything. I was just troubled by the Keirsey description of being "invisible". It could very well apply to any other type, but since it was written for ISFP, there was this... painful reaction I got out of reading it... like the description was sanctioning itself to tell me I wasn't communicating as well as other human beings... Or something.

Anyhow helpful post overall :)

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm kind of curious about this description from the Kiersey website..

Composers are just as plentiful as the other Artisans, say nine or ten per cent of the population, but in general they are very difficult to observe and thus greatly misunderstood. Very likely the difficulty comes from their tendency not to express themselves verbally, but through their works of art. Composers are usually not interested in developing ability in public speaking, or even in the art of conversation; they prefer to feel the pulse of life by touch, in the muscles, in the eyes, in the ears, on the tongue. Make no mistake, Composers are just as interested as other types in sharing their view of the world, and if they find a medium of non-verbal communication-some art form-then they will express their character quite eloquently. If not, they simply remain unknown, their quietness leaving their character all but invisible.

Bold part emphasized.... because it's depressing.

I'd take that description, and the one below about being silent being a shame, with a boulder of salt. That is, Keirsey also had that thing about a person's romantic relationship match being close to their opposite, and in my experience, that's a recipe for a whole lot of troubles.

It can feel good to categorize people and things, that's what brains do for efficiency and safety, It's Got Leaves Of Three So Don't Touch It. Categories don't always serve us well.

In other words, it's not actually mandatory to be an artist. Life is mysterious and rich. (Yes, enough philosophizing.)

So....verbal communication is not the ISFP's forte apparently.

Your post was articulate and transmitted ideas clearly. :)

They channel much of their thoughts into art. And if they don't, they're... invisible.

Anyways, I'm not happy with my art. I used to draw, then picked up music in my teens. I've also had an interest in acting.. Nothing's really come out of any of them. And nowadays, my main artistic interest, music, is....just running dry. I can't even enjoy it by myself. I'm suffering a block. I'm bored of the riffs I'm playing. I've run out of people to play with, who might spark up new ideas. Sigh.. there's a lot I'd like to say, but I'll cut myself for now.

Maybe you need more sunlight. Or selenium. (Well, you never know!)

I'd like to know what your "art form" is.. how you express yourself.. and if you feel fulfilled? And if it's not a direct art form (like painting, music, theater, dancing), then maybe it's something more common that you feel you're artistic about... I'd like to know about that too. That is, if you can view any activity as artistic.

My "art form" is multiple art forms. I feel as fulfilled writing a personal essay as I do drawing a still life or making a toothpick sculpture out of the fruit salad chunks so my kids would actually eat them. (The fruit chunks, not the toothpicks.)

Whatever it is that beckons (or beckoned) to you in one art form, you might try duplicating it in another. If you've liked riffs in music, do you like pointing out possibilities to people, such as in multiple paintings of the same scene at different times of day or at different levels of abstraction? Or do you see riffs more like improvisation, would you enjoy getting in costume, portraying a character from history, and answering the questions of kids in a Bring History Alive presentation?

Work backwards from one art form to another; translate the message or feeling that you liked in the first, into the second.

The possibilities are endless.

Or . . . maybe you could make it a project to sample as wide a range of art forms as possible, as cheaply as possible, for exactly six months. Mongolian throat singing WHILE creating bobbin lace?

Possibly being silent isn't such a bad thing, either. I like interviewing people, giving them spaces to express themselves and connect with others. That's an art in the drawing out, and an art in the writing, AND rather silent as far as whose inner life or understanding is showcased (not mine!). There's silence also, extremely fulfilling, when losing yourself in an activity, whether potting a seedling, cooking an omelet, playing the harmonica, or cleaning the sink. (Audience optional.)

Very best wishes on getting your mojo back, when and how that turns out to be timely for you.

There was another MBTI description that was along the same lines as the above.. It basically said it was a shame if an ISFP remains silent. So what can we do if we're in this dilemma..? Should I just reconfigure myself to not even be ISFP at all? :laugh:

KDude

Thank you very much. Both you and Bamboo gave me a lot of things to remember/think about.

And yes, I don't think I communicate all that badly :laugh:

The ironic thing is that I think environment and people would perk me up bigtime. i.e. Communication. The very thing I'm supposedly not good at. I love meeting new people, forming new friendships.

So..a change of scenery would help me get my mojo back. Which is hard for me unfortunately.. I don't want to ramble, but it's not easily done for various reasons. The burden is more on me to dig within myself. I've been trying to do that, trying to appreciate what I have, where I am... But it brings me down sometimes. Ever seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Kinda feel like that guy.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Just wait till Jeffster sees this thread. He'll light it up like a bonfire. :newwink:

KDude

Maybe this answers my problem link

maybe i'm not even isfp XP

oh well... i'm sure jeffster still has something awesome to say :D

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Maybe this answers my problem link

maybe i'm not even isfp XP

oh well... i'm sure jeffster still has something awesome to say :D

I took that test this morning to see what you were talking about. It gave me:

INFJ
81%
INFP
79%
ENFP
72%
ENFJ
80%

Not exactly a helpful test. :)

You also wrote,

"The ironic thing is that I think environment and people would perk me up bigtime. i.e. Communication. The very thing I'm supposedly not good at. I love meeting new people, forming new friendships.

"So..a change of scenery would help me get my mojo back. Which is hard for me unfortunately.. I don't want to ramble, but it's not easily done for various reasons. The burden is more on me to dig within myself. I've been trying to do that, trying to appreciate what I have, where I am... But it brings me down sometimes. Ever seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Kinda feel like that guy."

No I hadn't seen it, but I just found and read a synopsis.

So, you're being responsible? Feeling stuck? What can I say; most of us have been there. At what point does taking care of 'them/it' make it impossible to continue to 'take care of you' well enough to continue taking care of them/it?

"it brings me down sometimes" is probably not enough reason to try to change the situation, huh.

Life's complicated sometimes.

If you're making the choice not to change the situation, at least for now, I wonder if you'd find it helpful to keep in mind that change happens anyway, sooner or later. Change is the middle name of God, or something like that. ;)

Go pour your heart into communicating a vision of utopia?

By the way, I too "love meeting new people and forming new friendships." That's not so un-ISFP-ish as far as I can tell.

Good luck (good fortune, good mood, good effort, or . . . good subtly productive "down" time!).

KDude

I appreciate the post.. You ask a fair question (about taking care of "them/it"), but I don't want to answer. It's something I think about on my own though, fwiw.