• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensor Myths- Fact or Fiction? (for SJs too!)

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sensors don't like math False. Love it. Was a stats major like mcmartinez :D

sensors are extremely detail oriented So-so. Sometimes I'm super detailed and sometimes I'm oblivious.

attention whores Attention makes me uncomfortable.

less than loyal Depends on the person. But unless I explicitly make it clear that you're important to me, then... well.... :mellow:

sensors don't understand the internet I've lived off the internet since I was 9.

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told I march to my own beat.

sensors don't understand things like personality theory Obsessed with psychology and personality theory.

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed :sick:

sensors aren't smart Don't think personality type has much to do with intelligence.

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general Who knows.

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction I've always been a fan of art and writing.

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs I like being single, but I never would cheat on an SO

we're all crazy party animals At times. :D But me-time is more of a necessity

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor :mellow:

Well, to sum up, there does seem to be a few S stereotypes around here, but I feel like most are all in good fun. I think the only people that actually believe them are Ss who think they are Ns. And I think most people on this forum are pretty open-minded.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can't comment on the rest, but on this one... Obviously not all sensors are dumb (Two of my best friends are ESTP and have IQs in the 120 and 140 range respectively), and I'm certain it isn't true for the majority of sensors on this site, but the statistical rule is a documented fact: 96% of high-IQ people are N.

A. take it to another thread... it's not welcome in mine

B. do NOT make me pull out my education on you and lecture you on self reporting biases in testing and sociological influences in testees... :thelook:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Well the IQ test is an evaluation of abstract smarts, specifically strategical intelligence, and not of diplomatic, tactical, or logistical intelligence - NT, NF, SP, and SJ intelligence, respectively.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
plus... type tests only judge how people see themselves since it's a self reporting test... there's unfortunatly no way that you can truly judge how someone processes things without having a long, intensive test with different sections including listening, looking and interpreting and such with someone who is highly trained and unbiased to judge it :tongue:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never meant that abstract types can't be creative, but you saying that SPs don't have any edge on the arts is ridiculous to me. Done any research on the fact or are you just making a blind assertion?

SPs are the most radical of all, because we thrive on doing the exact opposite of the status quo. That's what keeps pushing the arts forward. And if you've noticed, the arts aren't usually about a deeper meaning, just a fresh new aesthetic, and it's all tangled up in money, too. How is any of that representative of the abstract? :huh: And when it comes to being edgy, SPs hold the market on that.

Have you read anything by Dr. Keirsey? It makes hella lotta sense. And then you read up on the famous artists and celebrities and see their temperament clearly, and you understand.

I'm not saying that intuitive types are never artists in the least. My Rational friend, for instance, is a far more excellent guitarist than I could ever imagine being.

Maybe it'll just take a bit for you to reverse your thinking on the issue.

I have read Keirsey and I dislike his book. I have read much better MBTI books that stereotype people a lot less. I like his temperament classification when used loosely, not rigidly.

The vast majority of MBTI experts note that INFPs, INFJs, and ENxPs in particular are often artistically inclined.

Your view of the arts is your view....I don't see most art as not having meaning. Aesthetics in itself can be an ideal. New ideas & imagination are heavily associated with iNtuition. I don't see how an NP is not going to challenge status quo any less than an SP....

I've read a lot of typings for famous people, and outside of Keirsey, not every artist is typed as SP.

Also, if SPs aren't good at art, then where does our talent lie? That's the trouble with pinning all creativity on abstractoids. You guys are intellectual, diplomatic, meaningful, visionary, intensely smart and passionate, AND you're the most creative and best troubleshooters? Then what the fuck is left for US? :shock:

Oh, right, I forgot... idiocy and zero personal skills. :rolli: :steam:

No one said that SPs are not good at the arts, but they don't have a monopoly on artistic skill. NFs don't have a monopoly on being kind or compassionate or good writers. I said before that what may incline SPs to the arts is often being good at physical skill; but physical skill is not the only part of art.

Maybe you should read other sources than Keirsey, because SPs are often attributed many more strengths than just being artistic.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
different types of art :)

and I'd say that thinking on our feet and noticing what's going on in the environment would be near the top of the list of sensing skills (sps anyways!)... I'm pretty sure that the stereotypical INFJ would NOT be someone's first choice to show up at the scene of an accident (though we have an INFP here who would probably be at the top of the list! proving that stereotypes are shit) :laugh:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sensors don't like math
Wrong. I actually enjoy it very much, even if there's no direct application but just the pleasure to feel my brain work. At high school, I hated that, but it was because I hated school, not math.

sensors are extremely detail oriented
Not especially. Just as much as necessary to get things done.

attention whores
Pfffffff, no!

less than loyal
Stupid! I am very loyal.

sensors don't understand the internet
I don't need to understand the internet

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told
1416132809.jpg

sensors don't understand things like personality theory
1416132809.jpg

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed
From my experience, that is real.

sensors aren't smart
1416132809.jpg

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general
Depends of their environement. The most part of SJs I know are atheist or agnosticist. Bui it may differ from americans SJs to french SJs. The most combative partisans of religions I have known were NTs.

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction
I am very good at writing fictions and scenic arts. If it means graphic arts, I suck at this.

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs
!????????,

we're all crazy party animals
Not every sensors. But some of them, yes. (me for example)

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor

1416132809.jpg

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
4297426690_e3de688c0f.jpg

SPs are Not Artistic? Really? like REALLY?
I'm offended. Given that the arts are my LIFE?

:) These stereotypes are such crap.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

B. do NOT make me pull out my education on you and lecture you on self reporting biases in testing and sociological influences in testees... :thelook:

People who buy into statistics of that nature need to be smacked upside the head. They could poll/test only like 100 people and say it's an accurate representation of society, and then people buy into it because the results are telling them what they want to hear. :thelook:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, no one is ever gonna admit they are dumb, or a group they belong to is, so it falls on me to tell the ugly truth no one else will own up to.

Like I said, I'm sure most sensors here are smart, otherwise they would not be here, but most sensors in general are dumb, which makes sense given 3/4 of the population are sensors, and that most people are dumb in the first place.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
People who buy into statistics of that nature need to be smacked upside the head. They could poll/test only like 100 people and say it's an accurate representation of society, and then people buy into it because the results are telling them what they want to hear. :thelook:

Yep. Statistics are so retarded on the one hand and insidiously deceptive on the other. You'd have to be really clever at taking statistics before you could get even close to coming up to a realistic and viable, yet still fallible, representation of the wide-scale reality. But there's no way to be sure anyone was even being that thorough anyway.

90% of people who listen to statistics are 76% unintelligent. :devil:

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like I said, I'm sure most sensors here are smart, otherwise they would not be here

Yeah. Because people on the internet are known for their intelligence. Way to backpedal. If you're going to make a blanket statement at least have the balls to stick to it.

but most sensors in general are dumb, which makes sense given 3/4 of the population are sensors, and that most people are dumb in the first place.

Your logic is absolutely fallacious. You must think an awful lot of yourself, being one of those genius N people keeping all us stupid S people from choking on our own tongues in our sleep. People with inflated egos tend to be in denial of how stupid they truly are. I thereby submit that you, sir, are a fucking moron.

Yep.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
sensors don't like math

My father is an ESTJ and has a masters degree in vehicle engineeering, if anything he is likely better then most people on this site concerning maths. Mental development concerning ability is irrespective of personality

sensors are extremely detail oriented

No way jose, i can give you hundreds of sensor examples who enjoy theory, philosphy and other subjects that require dwelving into alot theory and deep cotemplation and all dat shite

attention whores

I guess i've observed it more frequently in EXXP types, but it doesn't have anything to do with the N-S rift

less than loyal

If i have established a friendship with someone, i become very loyal

sensors don't understand the internet

How is that supposed to make sense at all?, the person who said that must have been moronic

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told

This has nothing to do with MBTI. Being unable to reflect has to do with mental immaturity or intellectual impairment.

sensors don't understand things like personality theory

Really?, i guess our brains degenerated from our potential of being ubermentschen intuitives into untermentschen sensors

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed

the person who made that statement must be a total moron

sensors aren't smart
Yeah cauze intelligence is all personality

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general
irrelevant of type

Highly subjective.

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs

yeah, because people are so simplistic in the first place, that they would fall into that stereotype.

we're all crazy party animals

wtf is this? stereotype america? .

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor

as a east asian immigrant once said in english "thats bull chijee"

Seriously, whoever made these generalized statements on sensors must be concluded as retarded person. Whoever you are seek help immediately, i am genuinely concerned of the state of your mental health. The colonel has said his and now he shall retreat to libya.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

HAHAHA

No.

My ISTP brother is an excellent, amazing writer.

INFP's are "supposed" to be good at writing, and I'm terrible at it.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yep. Statistics are so retarded on the one hand and insidiously deceptive on the other. You'd have to be really clever at taking statistics before you could get even close to coming up to a realistic and viable, yet still fallible, representation of the wide-scale reality. But there's no way to be sure anyone was even being that thorough anyway.

90% of people who listen to statistics are 76% unintelligent. :devil:

stellar = :wubbie:

Stats get so manipulated once they reach the general population. Most people don't understand what they mean in the slightest. Sure, you can make a stat prove almost any point, but that's a result of the presenter being a manipulative jerk. As someone with a degree in stats, I'd like to point out that I frown on such manipulation. Stop lying and just present the facts. Another problem is that a lot of people are indeed a little on the dim side and the background on a particular statistic isn't explained at ALL. For instance, the probability of something happening and the probability of something happening again...two different things altho they sound similar. It's likely that people will confuse them or think they're the same. And that's just the tip of the iceberg...

Yeah. Because people on the internet are known for their intelligence. Way to backpedal. If you're going to make a blanket statement at least have the balls to stick to it.

Your logic is absolutely fallacious. You must think an awful lot of yourself, being one of those genius N people keeping all us stupid S people from choking on our own tongues in our sleep. People with inflated egos tend to be in denial of how stupid they truly are. I thereby submit that you, sir, are a fucking moron.

Yep.
Pettycure also = :wubbie:

Side note - I can't stand the attitude that I see from NTs around me (on the forum and irl). Their self-image is so fucking inflated it makes me want to stab kittens. :steam:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I met alot of sensors and they just seem obsessed with talking about sports.
I mean i don't get it, whats so awesome about talking sports and football?
And why do sensors start stadium riots when a certain team loses?

KDude

i don't care to talk about sports much. i like playing them sometimes though. it's just a way to be active/doing something. sometimes prefer that to talking about anything. and if i could dance well, it'd probably be that instead.

i was just talking to wolfy earlier about a party i went to yesterday, and i barely conversed with anyone. i stood around bouncing a soccer ball. i LOVED that ball man