• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensor Myths- Fact or Fiction? (for SJs too!)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've run across the following stereotypes about people with S in their type while browsing through the site and wanted other opinions on these myths- are they fact or fiction? :huh:

(I personally think that they're all bullshit- well, maybe the attention whore thing applies to ALL ExxPs, but in general, these "theories" are completely idiotic! :) )

sensors don't like math

sensors are extremely detail oriented

attention whores

less than loyal

sensors don't understand the internet

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told

sensors don't understand things like personality theory

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed

sensors aren't smart

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs

we're all crazy party animals

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Uh...yeah, except for the math part, that pretty much sums you all up. You can keep the math. :newwink:

That list is kinda bullhucky. *fail music*

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:nono:

you bad, bad, bad man! :thelook:

and after I've been forced to understand the dominating and terrifying emotions of the ENFJ over the years too :boohoo:

and now I shall go and attention whore you to death or something equally S-ish! :tongue:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Applies to me/seems to be a general trend in Ss

sensors don't like math yes/yes edit: actually I don't actively dislike it, don't mind using it as a tool at all, just dislike "doing math for the sake of math" especially the more theoretical aspects of it

sensors are extremely detail oriented no/SJs perhaps

attention whores no/no (ExxP is far, far more predictive)

less than loyal no/no

sensors don't understand the internet no/no-where did this come from??

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told I think everyone is more like this than they want to admit, but not all the time

sensors don't understand things like personality theory understand, as well as most. agree with, not really./no

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed n/a/no

sensors aren't smart no/no - but usually less likely to brag about it

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general n/a/no, but I suspect they're more likely to share the beliefs they were raised with

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction no, but I'm not a writer/strongly disagree, but is this really a stereotype?

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs no/no

we're all crazy party animals no/no

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor sense of humour is absolutely sbujective

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Am I supposed to answer these questions?

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
sensors don't like math
I actually hate math because I suck at it :blush:

I actually hate details... unless it's in my art.

attention whores
I'm an attention whore and I'm proud of it!!

less than loyal
I'm one of the most loyal people you'll meet, hopefully.

Gee, this must be so true, especially since I'm using the internet to answer these questions.

Nope, false. I thrive on those opportunities where I get to be different.

And yet I'm here. And yet Blackcat is like an expert on ennagram.

sensors aren't smart
And yet I made straight A's (well, except for math) all through school.

False, I'm an SP and I love Jesus :tongue:

The arts are my specialty-especially writting.

I don't mind being single, but I can't stand those who cheat.

Well, I am a party animal. Just not always.

Well I'm laughing at some of these myths. I think that should show my sense of humor ;)

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sensors don't like math

Generally yes. I don't *hate* math but it's not something I'm going to stand in line at Walmart at 3am for.

Detailed, yes. Extremely? ....that's debatable

attention whores

Secretly yes

less than loyal

Are you serious?

This is just absurd

No. If I think a person leading is a good leader/person I'll follow him/her into hell. Otherwise, I'll jump ship as soon as I can.

No, just no.

No, I like rules because they provide stability and simplicity

sensors aren't smart

If you say so

I'm an atheist so figure that one out

I've actually been told that my fiction that I (used to) write was pretty interesting. Now whether or not I used proper grammar is another matter altogether

Some of them may like being single but I think I've met maybe 1 person that actually LOVED cheating on her SO and she had serious issues.

Yep, that's me, crazy party animal. Nothing says "Wild Night(tm)" like an evening of FF13 and a bowl of cereal :rolleyes2:

I actually think I have a great sense of humor, when I choose to show it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Am I supposed to answer these questions?

share your thoughts dammit! :steam:

:laugh:

and I actually LIKE stats... enough that I keep up on polling data and enjoy criticizing the methodology used :doh: this may be because it allows me to lie creatively with data though :blush:

business calc was fun too... story problems delight me, I know WHY I have to solve them! :holy:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
sensors don't like math- They call me Rainman among my friends because I tend to have a great association with numbers. I was great with math until Calculus. But then again my senior year of high school, after I got accepted to college and had an internship lined up, so I failed to really pay attention vs losing interest, and I did okay in my college functions class. But I love working with figures and analyzing them.

sensors are extremely detail oriented I am detail oriented, but not so extremely that I lose sight of the big picture, meaning if something in front of me is immaterial in the long run, I have to ability to not let it hinder me. That has come with maturity and practice.

attention whores Not true. I like attention, but don't have to be in the limelight. Is this an S thing or an I thing?

less than loyal- Wrong. I'm loyal to those things that are most important to me. Sometimes too loyal.

sensors don't understand the internet- :huh:what is there to understand?

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told- Not a sheep. In most matters it's trust is earned, and in a lot of respects earned in stages. So I give you a little until, and if you handle it well, it will grow. If you violate that little amount of trust early on, it's hard for you to recover. I'm my own man, and am not impressed by titles and the like. Prove to me that you are worthy of my time and attention.

sensors don't understand things like personality theory- I can read and understand theory, I can even discuss it, but my tolerance is finite. Like most sensors I don't need to splice it slice it dice it, smack it up, flip it, and rub it down like the Ns seem to do with theory. I don't mind reading what's written, as I do learn a lot, but it's not my interest to delve too deeply into it.

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed- Rules provide structure and a basis to learn. That's all. Unless they are life threatening, they are most of the time guidelines, and can be broken without consequence, especially if they make no sense. Recently, though, I've challenged myself to not look for so much guidance on the projects I have been given at work, just for my own development. Not my comfort zone but it's not impossible. It's actually fun.

sensors aren't smart Again wrong. I'm very intelligent.

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general LOL I love Jesus, I am Christian. I'm not some blind zealot though; what I'm taught has to have some basis. This falls under the 'sheep' statements above.

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fictionI actually wrote some ill poetry back in the day. Got me a lot of fans LOL. I played the piano and flute back in the day as well. So, no, that's not true.

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs Not an SP but just got out of a relationship with one, and she wanted to get married and was faithful. So not true.

we're all crazy party animals- SPs are more prone to the fun things over an SJ, but this is not true to all SPs.

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor-Au contraire; I'm a very funny guy, and can make all types laugh. I think my Si actually helps me, as I don't miss much and can make connections, and catch subtle references. That is why I love shows like Family Guy. There is so many random references in the writing. I don't get them all, but I get enough.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're right.

A lot of these statements have been made on this forum, though.

So thanks for your validation.

true... I actually got them all from skimming through the forum and writing them down... I wanted to be accurate in my bitchiness! :cheese:

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
sensors don't like math

attention whores

less than loyal

sensors aren't smart

true... I actually got them all from skimming through the forum and writing them down... I wanted to be accurate in my bitchiness! :cheese:
I don't doubt that you have seen those stereotypes before, but I don't think very many of them are actually common beliefs. It's like someone saying that all Jews administer message boards. I'm sure someone, somewhere, believes that, and will tell anyone who listens, but it's not really a stereotype with any currency.

Some of these certainly are believed with some frequency -- there are obviously people on this forum who believe, for instance, that sensors are less intelligent than intuitives -- but I'd say at least half this list is craziness that very few people believe.

So there, you math-hating attention whores! ;)

tastes_like_purple

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
1. Sensors don't like math- True for me anyway. I don't like anything I'm not good at.

2. Sensors are extremely detail oriented- Depends on what it is really.

3. Attention whores- Only for those I want attention from.

4. Less than loyal- I'm extremely loyal D:

5. Sensors don't understand the internet- Who doesn't understand the internet nowadays?? :huh:

6. We are "sheep" and believe and do what we are told- Hell no. Although I can be naive

7.Sensors don't understand things like personality theory- Not interested in it so I won't bother trying to understand it.

8. SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed- Doubt it

9.Sensors aren't smart- Not true

10. SJs all love jesus... or religion in general- Now that's what you call sheep ;)

11.Sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction- Once again, not interested in it so I don't try.

12. SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs- Whoever thinks this is a total dick.

13.We're all crazy party animals- I wish ¬__¬

14. No ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor- I don't see why I would want to change my sense of humor? Besides, humor was never meant to be clever.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
You forgot the one about SJs all having obsesive compulsive disorder.