• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensor Myths- Fact or Fiction? (for SJs too!)

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
my mum is ESTJ and is really gifted in the arts. she's a very good writer and painter, as well. so that doesn't really imply, either. she's also intelligent... but the way she is is very different from me. she is organized and very much into structure and tradition. she is interested in abstract concepts and questions things, but doesn't really want to get into it that much... it's like she acknowledges the existance of some theories, but if she can't put it into a concrete context she doesn't really bother. also, i feel like she's very rigid sometimes... from my pov.

what's true about the sensors i know is that they like action. my brother is ESFJ and is very much into sports... my mum likes to do things (it's like she's constantly in motion... gardening, cooking... )

my dad is either IsTj, (possibly IsTp), or InTj. he's the toughest to type for me (of my family members). he's good at math.

also, the sensors i know are VERY loyal.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
sensors don't like math - I enjoy math

sensors are extremely detail oriented - Sometimes yes, sometimes i don't even notice the doors/walls/most objects that i bang into

attention whores
- Sometimes yes, sometimes no

less than loyal - I need to be less loyal

sensors don't understand the internet - Which prick came up with this?? wtf am i on now then

we are "sheep" and believe and do what we are told - :rolli:

sensors don't understand things like personality theory - Never understood the narrowmindedness of it, sure.

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed Rules are to be used as a guide :devil:

sensors aren't smart - This one fucks me off

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general -Is spirituality a religion :D

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction - Of course i am not good at arts, i am too impatient to see things through

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs
- I don't mind being single but i would never cheat on someone

we're all crazy party animals No but sometimes i like getting pissed drunk so i lose my inhibitions

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor My humour is to make me laugh, i have a wicked sense of humour

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
sensors don't like math - Math is boring unless there is a goal to be had, it was always my strongest subject

sensors are extremely detail oriented - If I want to be I can be extremely detail oriented. Now whether its worth it or not is another story.

attention whores - Generally not

less than loyal - Extremely loyal

sensors don't understand the internet - I create web applications

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told - Sometimes its just not worth it, I just as easily head off in my own direction.

sensors don't understand things like personality theory - Thats what Se is used for. Why do you think ESTPs get the "con artist" label.

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed - Rules are easy and you cant get in trouble for following the rules

sensors aren't smart - Define smart

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general - No comment

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction - Not good at fiction, art is dependent on what it is

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs - wrong

we're all crazy party animals - Never been a party animal

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor - If I had a more clever audience I may get a more clever sense of humor :rolleyes:

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
sensors don't like math - False. I have a math/stats degree! (applied math being key ;) )

sensors are extremely detail oriented - fairly true most of the time, definitely true if I need to be.

attention whores - false. I hate being in the lime light. (ESFP is a different story...'least the one I know is.)

less than loyal - false until someone is a douche bag to me, fuck them.

sensors don't understand the internet - false. worked at a help desk for 4.5 years, currently program website java-ness. I <3 the internet.

we are "sheep" and believe and do what we are told - I'm kinda gullible, but I don't think I'm a sheep...definitely don't just do what I'm told, in fact I hate being instructed to do anything.

sensors don't understand things like personality theory - false. I'm here aren't I?! Altho I admit I generally just understand *my* personality theory and other similar ones (ESTP, ESTJ, ISTJ). I also know that I will never understand how an N goes from A to C without hitting B on the way.

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed - my mom is kinda like that (ISFJ), but idk about the rest of them. Two ISTJs I know get overwhelmed when they have a lot of options available...not the same as wanting rules, but it seems like they're at ease when things are more clear cut and "simple".

sensors aren't smart - false!!! *points at self* :cheese:

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general - false. my mom and sister are ISFJs and they're atheist and agnostic, respectively. I know an ISTJ who is kinda religious and absolutely refuuuuuuses to participate in stuff at work for Halloween...even Thanksgiving, Christmas...just sits in his cube and works. He's kind of a weirdo anyway. He won't even eat donuts (and, no, he's not on a strict diet or anything). On the other hand...I know an ESTJ who's definitely Catholic and won't date a non-Catholic girl. I know an ISTJ girl who is also Catholic and into Catholic dudes ('cause she wants to have a family that goes to church on Sundays someday... *barf*).

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction - true for me, altho I think I'm decent at sketching and I was good in my art classes back in the day.

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs - kinda true (the single life *is* nice) and DEFINITELY FALSE! Cheating's bad, mkay?

we're all crazy party animals - false. I could go a few weekends in a row without partying...I've done it plenty in the past. I'm definitely not the party organizer when it happens.

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor - false! I'm hilarious :D

KDude

Not sure if it was mentioned as a myth, but I suck at dancing. Dislike it even. I remember being that way as a kid too... Way too cool to jump in and start doing the "pump" to shitty Rob Base tunes.

Both ISFPs and ESFPs supposedly all love dancing... I mean c'mon. Is that even statisically possible? :D Most dance music is not even up my alley..

[edit] ok, i have no idea what the "pump" is. i'm just making dance moves up now :laugh:

KDude

Oh and another thing, I think Socionics generally describes SP types better and facilitates less simplisitic discussion. ISFP's aren't bundled in an "artistic" category per se. ESFP's aren't party animals - in fact, the type is called the "Caesar". The Politician. It's people oriented, not pleasure oriented.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Just so you know Whatever, you are only digging a bigger grave for Ss by taking most of those seriously.

And don't forget some of us like joking about sensors a lot. It's just payback. All Ss value payback right? :cheese:

KDude

Hmmm.... not really. I fantasize about "payback" every once in awhile..... but never actually do anything. I move on. I can only really pay people back in the immediate sense.. and sometimes I'll call forth a shitstorm, believe me. I can go overboard. But 2 hours later, it's a not a big issue. 2 years later, it's practically non-existent.

ESTP's otoh are probably inclined to pay back. :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just so you know Whatever, you are only digging a bigger grave for Ss by taking most of those seriously.

And don't forget some of us like joking about sensors a lot. It's just payback. All Ss value payback right? :cheese:

you don't get my sense of humor :boohoo:

mostly I'm being a bitch for fun about a certain point I wanted to make... I certainly wasn't taking it seriously as in "OMG, look what those mean N people are saying! :horor:"

just making a little point while jabbing some fun at you guys! :cheese:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

mostly I'm being a bitch for fun about a certain point I wanted to make... I certainly wasn't taking it seriously as in "OMG, look what those mean N people are saying! :horor:"

What can I say? S humor just tends to fly right over my head :(

Yeah, I was just influenced by other posts you made in other threads about it.

XYZ

MBTI Type
GOAT
Enneagram
DUNO
sensors don't like math I like Math when it's applicable to real life problems.

sensors are extremely detail oriented
Yes

attention whores
No

less than loyal No

sensors don't understand the internet
No

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told
No

sensors don't understand things like personality theory No.

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed
Not sure, but I think most believe rules should be followed because they prevent/reduce the likelihood of bad outcomes from occurring.

sensors aren't smart Depends what type of smarts?

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general Most follow a religion but to varying extents of strictness.

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction I was good at art and fiction writing when I was younger, but it's not something I've pursued further as I got older.

Yes, I enjoy being single because of the freedom. I'm against cheating.

we're all crazy party animals Far from it.

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor I enjoy and appreciate most styles of humour. Most people probably see me as having a quite serious outlook, but once I get to know them better/more comfortable with them I can be very funny.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What can I say? S humor just tends to fly right over my head :(

Yeah, I was just influenced by other posts you made in other threads about it.

:laugh: and I tend to get the N jokes :devil:

if you read more carefully even my serious posts have a joking element to them... some people need to be reminded, in a funny, but knowlegable manner, that they're being a bit narrow minded sometimes :cheese:

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
*I* understand your humor! :hug:

I was right! :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:cheers: I could depend on another STP stats lover to understand the evils of generalization!!!

:devil:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
:laugh: and I tend to get the N jokes :devil:

if you read more carefully even my serious posts have a joking element to them... some people need to be reminded, in a funny, but knowlegable manner, that they're being a bit narrow minded sometimes :cheese:

I just assumed you were a bad person because you were an S so I couldn't even register your other posts as coming from someone that wasn't hellbent on being evil. (plus you are an ESTP)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just assumed you were a bad person because you were an S so I couldn't even register your other posts as coming from someone that wasn't hellbent on being evil. (plus you are an ESTP)

why yes, I fit making mean and serious posts inbetween cheating on people and stuffing nerds in their lockers :cool:

:hug: don't worry... your vision was just clouded with Fi!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
why yes, I fit making mean and serious posts inbetween cheating on people and stuffing nerds in their lockers :cool:

:hug: don't worry... your vision was just clouded with Fi!

Ha!! My Te you mean.

KDude

Hey, I've got plenty of Fi :D I probably wouldnt be annoyed at generalizing if not

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I see why SPs love Keirsey so much....as an iNuitive, I find this assertion ridiculous, just as you find these "myths" ridiculous. I'm as much an artist as any ISFP, dammit :steam:! "Artisan" implies hands-on skill anyway, not innovative ideas. Not to say that an SP cannot have innovative ideas. My point is, iNuition is heavily associated with creativity and new ideas; SPs don't have any edge on the arts.

Actually, that's pretty much what iNtuition is - perception coming out of "nowhere". :D
Technically, it's coming from the unconscious ;)

I never meant that abstract types can't be creative, but you saying that SPs don't have any edge on the arts is ridiculous to me. Done any research on the fact or are you just making a blind assertion?

SPs are the most radical of all, because we thrive on doing the exact opposite of the status quo. That's what keeps pushing the arts forward. And if you've noticed, the arts aren't usually about a deeper meaning, just a fresh new aesthetic, and it's all tangled up in money, too. How is any of that representative of the abstract? :huh: And when it comes to being edgy, SPs hold the market on that.

Have you read anything by Dr. Keirsey? It makes hella lotta sense. And then you read up on the famous artists and celebrities and see their temperament clearly, and you understand.

I'm not saying that intuitive types are never artists in the least. My Rational friend, for instance, is a far more excellent guitarist than I could ever imagine being.

Maybe it'll just take a bit for you to reverse your thinking on the issue.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I am positively stunned at some of the stuff I am reading here.
I cannot fathom where some of these stereotypes come from but they are beyond ridiculous.

If I may, I am going to comment about a few ..and offer alternatives that include NF's and NTs being just as likely as S's to indulge in these behaviors.

Detail oriented.. Aren't INFJs known as the grammar Nazis?? I would say that NFs and NTs are extremely nit picky people themselves .. How can they claim to be so in touch with people's feelings without picking up the subtle details that some others might miss..How could such deep thinkers not focus on details? How could Ne users not notice patterns without the little details?? GMAFB!! (Give me a fucking break)

Attention Whores I'm sorry.. but hello NFPs.. :hi: have you looked at yourselves lately??..(yes I am an NFP)

Less than Loyal ISFPs are among the most loyal people I have ever encountered. (see cheating)

sensors don't understand the internet GMAFB!!! let's see.. sensors make up 75% of the population and 4 billion people surf the net daily.. Do the math..

sensors don't understand things like personality theory Maybe maybe not.. but to me it seems they are more willing to be open minded about it and less likely to label others or themselves.. So I wonder who see's the bigger picture??

sensors aren't smart GMAFB!!! I've met some pretty dim witted N's in my time..Utter nonsense ..

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction
2 words.. Leonard Cohen ( Favorite of many NF's who is a prototypical ISFP)

I have coveresed with MORE than a few NFs and NTs about their cheating and their love of being single.. I am positive this has nothing to with type, but is simply based on a persons morality and emotional health.

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor
More GMAFB!!!.. It would seem to me that being able to laugh at yourself.. is the best indicator of sense of humor.. Now ask, who takes themselves so seriously??

Thank you for listening to my vent..