• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Performance in...?

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
oh my gosh I hate school so much. I have yet to get myself together enough to benefit too much from college. It's honestly a struggle. I read something that mentioned ISFPs and school performance not being so good. Of course that doesn't make it destiny, but does anyone else, no matter the type, just have a difficult time in school? It's the routine of it all... Just...AGH crash n burn

I feel so maladjusted.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I dropped out and I'm taking a year off. I've always had trouble in school.

I think I might just keeping working and get my degree from a non-traditional college.

But I know what you mean about not really getting anything from it. I just was so unorganized and unmotivated coming out of HS that my college experience was mostly a waste of time. I really squandered it, actually.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I dropped out and I'm taking a year off. I've always had trouble in school.

I think I might just keeping working and get my degree from a non-traditional college.

But I know what you mean about not really getting anything from it. I just was so unorganized and unmotivated coming out of HS that my college experience was mostly a waste of time. I really squandered it, actually.

This is a bit of a rant

One thing that bothers me most about our education system is the emphasis we put on everyone going to university instead of tailoring education to suit the individual. We snub vocational and technical schools because we're pretentious about the amount of (logical) intelligence we think we have in this country. We don't take any pride in our workers.

At any rate we're suffering for it now. The Japanese do build better cars.

Last edited:

XYZ

MBTI Type
GOAT
Enneagram
DUNO
I was good in school (it wasn't something I looked forward to, but I had no real weaknesses, was good at all subjects I did, without being outstanding at any), but I never really lived up to my full potential because of work-ethic/discipline/study habits and my grades trended slightly downwards over the years in high school. At uni, I did decently in my first semester (again definitely not to the best of my potential), but have really struggled with motivation/discipline/study habits since.

School/university definitely suits xxTJ types the best IMO. I think the most effective way for SP's to learn is by pursuing topics that interest you via self education (whether it be internet, books, videos, seminars, lessons/classes, observing others, trial and error in doing etc.) suited to your own style of learning, at your own pace rather than having to meet all these deadlines for projects/exams/tests etc.

KarliJoanne

MBTI Type
ISFP
You gotta find something you love to learn about, that's the trick. In college I majored in Geology and Geophysics and minored in Religious Studies, just because I find it fascinating. Now I'm in grad school for Earth System Science. I've always been fascinated with the outdoors and I love to learn about it. I know I would have trouble learning about something like accounting or business, I'd probably die.

I can understand difficulties with traditional schools. My younger brother, who I suspect is also ISFP, has been able to do well in school but has a hard time motivating himself to actually do the work and he dropped out for awhile. I think that vocational schools and community colleges are great and I hope to teach at a community college someday. I don't understand why people snub them, it's ridiculous!

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks Guys

I really welcome and thank you all for the replies. I can fully sympathize with the pains of typical schooling. The problems with motivation and meeting deadlines... I try to find a way to make it work but meanwhile am hanging by a thread of "work ethic." I may hafta opt out of university college.

Yeah, it does seem people look down a bit on the other schooling options. Someone had mentioned community college to me at one point. What is the difference between technical (along with vocational and community) colleges and between traditional ones? I think you get a degree sooner?

I've come to like psychology and philosophy. I'm taking 3 different psych courses. I must be stubborn with things I like; I'm still not doing well.

une_autre

MBTI Type
ESTP
I don't know - I've never had problems in school.

Yeah, sure, sometimes it's difficult to bring myself to do something utterly boring and useless, so I will procrastinate as much as I can, but in the end I will do it decently, because I like getting good grades.

Usually I think of it that way: it would take me an hour to do a homework. It is not much time and what else could I do during that time? Watch TV? Then why not do something that I really need for my future.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Yeah, sure, sometimes it's difficult to bring myself to do something utterly boring and useless, so I will procrastinate as much as I can, but in the end I will do it decently, because I like getting good grades.

Usually I think of it that way: it would take me an hour to do a homework. It is not much time and what else could I do during that time? Watch TV? Then why not do something that I really need for my future.

This is how it is for myself as well. Never really had a problem either. I just didn't always care to be there.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

That's useful. I've got some work to do on my values, I guess.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never had problems getting good grades, though procrastination can be a huge issue for me. I'm pretty lazy but I will always do the work by the deadline, even if it means killing myself in the last few hours/days.

I was always very conscious of the expense of college and my reason for being there which was getting that piece of paper. Now that I'm in grad school, it's harder because I have to set more of my own deadlines and I don't naturally want to work very hard. I'm doing well so far though (6 months in).

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yikes... Do keep it up. I used to wreck my sleep patterns by drawing up my energy to work all night for the last minute. Eventually...I stopped doing that. Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right enough. Quite an asset. I have to...find a better pace. Not sure if I can keep it up the way I'm going.

KarliJoanne

MBTI Type
ISFP
I've never had problems getting good grades, though procrastination can be a huge issue for me. I'm pretty lazy but I will always do the work by the deadline, even if it means killing myself in the last few hours/days.

I was always very conscious of the expense of college and my reason for being there which was getting that piece of paper. Now that I'm in grad school, it's harder because I have to set more of my own deadlines and I don't naturally want to work very hard. I'm doing well so far though (6 months in).

Wow, I know exactly what you mean! I'm used to just doing the work to get something done well and in time, but now it can so hard to direct myself! Starting to get the hang of it though.