• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Are you like a lightswitch or a dimmer?

lilikoi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6?
I am either "on" or "off". I either give 200% or make no effort at all. If someone wants to go for a walk, I end up running. I do these extreme hikes, then spend a week on the couch. Is this an ISTP thing? It is starting to drive me nuts, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm a total light switch.

Actually I've been called a spot light. If my spot light is on you - you (or a hobby, an interest, whatever) will feel the heat but it can be totally off you and it's like "wait, what happened??"

(dang you SP arthouse)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sure you don't want to be an SP with these threads Elaur? :devil:

I'm more like a lightswitch- AWAKE!!!! :yay: --> asleep :sleeping:

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
But aside from being jewish, and coincidently an alright carpenter, yeah, I'm fairly on or off.

I don't think it's a bad thing. I just need to be more consistent on the "upkeep" phase and enjoy the "building" phase.

Example: my garage, it's a friggin mess. Out of the blue, I've spent the last 3 days cleaning and building custom shelving units. Now that I'm in a "up" phase I need to spend this energy establishing a system so when the energy runs out (it will run out) I will have an easy, simple system in place that makes upkeep easy. That is, a place for everything, and everything in it's place.

Be happy you have up phases. Some people sit on the couch and stay there.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm a candle. Better yet, make that a menorah.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
sure you don't want to be an SP with these threads Elaur? :devil:

I'm more like a lightswitch- AWAKE!!!! :yay: --> asleep :sleeping:

When I was younger this used to be me. I was extremely physically extroverted. Was not into socializing though.

wolfy

awsm
I prefer the burner analogy. I always have some things on the back burner and some things I am turning the heat up on. And they change.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am either "on" or "off". I either give 200% or make no effort at all. If someone wants to go for a walk, I end up running. I do these extreme hikes, then spend a week on the couch. Is this an ISTP thing? It is starting to drive me nuts, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

:yes:

Afterward, I look back and get exhausted just thinking about what I did during a specific time period. Then the cycle continues...

B

brainheart

I prefer the burner analogy. I always have some things on the back burner and some things I am turning the heat up on. And they change.

I just melted a plastic lid onto my burner. :doh:

I would say the light switch is a very perceiving kind of thing. We respond directly to our environment, so if it stimulates us, we are so on. If it doesn't, meh.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

i like the burner analogy.
it is also like shining a flashlight in a dark room - you can only see the area that the flashlight is pointed at. but it's easy to just move the flashlight, and point it at something else.

starting new projects is always great. but it is also great to come back to an old project. sometimes if enough time has passed you can approach a project with fresh insight, and it is kind of like collaborating with yourself. you start a project, and then hand it off to another completely different part of yourself.

I would say the light switch is a very perceiving kind of thing. We respond directly to our environment, so if it stimulates us, we are so on. If it doesn't, meh.

i wonder what mix of things stimulates us. sometimes you are stimulated by what seems like nothing, or by some invisible hidden inspiration. then sometimes it seems like everything has coalesced and all signs point to inspiration, but for some reason it just doesn't happen. inspiration is a weird thing. it would probably be ruined if we could understand it, too.

D

Dali

My ISTP bro (21) will be calmly sleeping on the couch doing nothing then decide to get up and jog the four kilometres to my stepmother's house. In the midday heat.

Once in a while, he'd ask me to join him. I'd generally look at him like he was nuts. LOL

I also have a similar approach. I like to strike when the urge hits or... it peters out. If that means extensively cleaning the entire flat at 3 AM, then so be it.

gromit

likes this
Lightswitch. Especially with trusting people, but also with energy. Even my field hockey coach in college would comment on how I didn't seem to have a half speed.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Cool question.

I think i am a dimmer .. Sometimes i am so bright i even blind myself but at other times i like to conserve my energy so i dim down to a low light.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Yeah same here. If I care, I care. If I don't care, I don't care.

If I don't care, don't expect much from me. I really don't care.

If I care, expect 100% from me. Expect me to go all out while almost killing myself.