• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Any SP's who hated school?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't like school until I went to college because it offered little challenge and I was surrounded by people who were not willing to think for themselves :dry:

I liked college so much that I got 3 degrees and stayed there 6 years! The freedom to choose to take what interested me and that not everyone around me was an idiot was quite releiving! :yay:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you did, do you know why you disliked it so much? Just wondering. :)

I did not hate school. There were many times from Montessori School through the 12th grade that the faculty did not appreciate a young man with boundless energy and an ardent internal locus of control. :yay:

I got excellent grades until my freshman year in college. That is the year in which the compendium of knowledge I learned by happenchance my whole life started to expire, and needed to be replaced with material from my big, heavy, boring hardcover textbooks. :rolli:

Plus, they expected me to go to class 3 different times on MWF, and 2 different times on TR. :ranting:

I had no idea I had ADHD; I had no idea I had OCD tendencies. So, I was a mess for a few years until I figured out how to work with my brain. Honestly, I didn't know how to study until my wife was pregnant and I had to finish my undergraduate "career" in order to be employed full time as a software analyst with good pay and benefits. Sometimes a good swift kick in the ass from life is a good thing. :newwink:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't hate school. It was easy. I never studied. Even with college level courses - with the exception of Algebra II - I always felt like I learned much better on my own though.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I've only been through one semester of college (because I hate school :laugh:) but I guess I can try to explain my reasoning for it.

One thing to clarify though... what kind of school are you talking about? College or 1st-12th grade?

But yeah, grades 1-12 felt completely useless to me. 90% of the stuff I learned in high school was absolutely useless to me. I breezed through the classes, but I had basically no motivation. The only reason why I did it was for the hope that college would be better. I had senioritis for 3 years. :p And I had no motivation my first semester of college, so I'm taking time off in hopes that I won't feel that way when I go back.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I did not like school at all until I got to college. Sitting in classrooms and filling out worksheets was so boring! The bells that went off all day hurt my ears! Gym class was a nightmare because the gym was loud and echoey. When the kids screamed, it reverberated over and over in my ears.
I sat in the classroom and stared out the window at the beautiful outdoors. I felt trapped inside with the worksheets and the loudspeaker that made a horrible feedback noise before the voice as sharp as razor blade started.
In high school, changing classes was terrible. So many people, brushing up against me! Ugh! I was in a constant state of overstimulation!
In college, I could pick my classes and I walked outside from building to building. I felt smarter in college than I did in elementary or in high school. I collected two degrees.
Eventually, I found out that I wasn't totally defective, that I had "central auditory processing disorder" and "sensory processing disorder." These conditions were not known about when I was in school. Maybe, if I had appropriate early intervention, I would not have hated school quite so much.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I know an ISTP who hated both primary and secondary school.

He also hated college, and graduate school. (He's currently taking a year off of grad school.)

He's an autodidact, so he constantly hated all these rules that he felt made no sense.

:)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love school, always have, but I love *good* institutions of learning, where I have respect for both my peers, and my teachers.

I, like my ISTP friend, am primarily an autodidact, and have always hated stupid rules, like doing homework when you don't NEED TO!!!

Homework helps some, but not all.

And, for those of us who it doesn't help, why must we do it?!!?

If I understand the information, do well on the exams, how dare you make me do homework, such bullshit!

grrrrr

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
5-12 my favorites were running and dating football players :doh:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't like school until I went to college because it offered little challenge and I was surrounded by people who were not willing to think for themselves :dry:

I liked college so much that I got 3 degrees and stayed there 6 years! The freedom to choose to take what interested me and that not everyone around me was an idiot was quite releiving! :yay:
wait what? you're an s now? or is that just a joke again?

I hated school for the same reason (almost) every kid does. It's always less interesting than whatever I'd choose to do on my own, plus the social aspect of it was absolutely excrutiating for me (unpleasant peers combined with extreme "social anxiety" thinking).

Middle school was an improvement, high school a larger improvement, and university a huge improvement. Grad > undergrad so far, too.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I didn't like school but I still had a lot of fun making trouble and goofing off. Tests (except for Maths) came too easy to me for too long and I ended up not putting in the effort when it was really needed.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I loved school until I hit the 7th grade. I never had to study because everything was easy for me (except math, oh dear lord). Now I'm excited to get started into a college. :D

haag261390

the ISFP I know doesnt like school! but as far as learning goes, he has to go to school. :D

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I wouldn't say I completely hated school, I just saw no value to it at the level my classes were taught at. I always had attendance one day shy of losing credit for my classes, didn't do much in school or pay much attention.....and I was in the highest level classes.

I'd just go home at night, and teach myself the things I "should" have learned over the 8 hours of school that day, in 45 minutes, and then ace the tests. As a result, I hated school for the waste of my time I felt it usually was, and the random arbitrary rules that I learned to find ways around.

Wound up with over 700 on both reading and math on my SAT's, and got into everywhere I applied for college.

KDude

As far back as I remember, I always felt like I had something better to do (I didn't). Chalk it up to a sort of restlessness maybe? And a need for my own self-created interests as well. Once highschool hit, I really thought I was too smart for my own good. I eventually got expelled, and then got my GED at 16. Technically, I never passed the 9th grade. You're talking to an 8th grader folks.

OK, enough self-deprecation... :D

I've come to appreciate at least the weight it holds though.. so I plan on getting a degree... sometime! Preferably something that's more than just "weight" and credentials. Something I absolutely need help with, challenges me, and learn something from.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
As far back as I remember, I always felt like I had something better to do (I didn't). Chalk it up to a sort of restlessness maybe? And a need for my own self-created interests as well. Once highschool hit, I really thought I was too smart for my own good. I eventually got expelled, and then got my GED at 16. Technically, I never passed the 9th grade. You're talking to an 8th grader folks.

that is how i felt too. i dropped out after my first year of highschool. i didn't get my GED until i was 22, though.

but i was pretty chaotic when i was around 15-16, and i went to really terrible elementary and high schools. so i think i could have enjoyed school under different circumstances, and if i had went to a school that wasn't so out of control.

KDude

*sigh* feels a bit better now. i walked away from that post feeling... too honest. :)

yeah, my environment contributed as well. i was in highschool in the early 90's. a lot of chaos back then. kids were following either NWA or Kurt Cobain. just to put a humorous note on it. i fared better than some though.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
it's useless, half of the stuff that's taught is "rules for how to read and write" even though I'm a senior in high school, it's cliquish to an extreme(and in denial to boot!), most projects were a waste of my time and effort, there were few(if any) people worth talking to and even fewer that took the time to listen. Hell, at least math stacked and it felt like you were actually progressing, the rest of it just repeated itself and made vague threats that never came to fruition.