• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP compared to ISFP

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
hot guy vs. hot girl???

Main difference between both:

ISTP:
mechanic.jpg

(It's his real job, and it's his uniform)

ISFP:
mechanic_costume.jpg

(It's just a costume, but it looks good)​

:laugh:

KDude

I kind of resent the Peter Pan/Michael Jackson/Liberace descriptions of male ISFP's. They're all a bit too fey. I feel like I've lost my manhood being compared with them.

There might be a certain gentleness to ISFP, but apparently, Christopher Reeve, Magic Johnson, John Travolta, and Ashton Kutcher are ISFP.. They're all kind of soft hearted guys too, but not in some rhinestone men in tights sort of way. :D

Lets not forget Pablo either.. He was THE man.

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ4owtKH3M"]Pablo Picasso[/youtube]

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, really, if you think about it, we ISFP males can't be topped. We're sensitive, yet manly. :cool:

KDude

The one thing I can understand about the "fey" type of ISFP guy is..... well apparently, ISFP's, even though aren't extroverts, really desire to express themselves and be noticed.. and that's usually in something passive like style. I have my moments of that too. I just don't go about it in the same way as Liberace :D

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The one thing I can understand about the "fey" type of ISFP guy is..... well apparently, ISFP's, even though aren't extroverts, really desire to express themselves and be noticed.. and that's usually in something passive like style. I have my moments of that too. I just don't go about it in the same way as Liberace :D

That, I can come to agree with without hesitation. Self-expression is big in my journal.

KDude

I, too, kind of became confused on the differences with ISFP/ISTP, but it's these little things that help. Also, the thing someone said earlier about being more people oriented is true. Although I think both can be equally laid back and seem aloof from people at times... But as an ISFP, I'm still capable of showing a lot of affection and emotion. ISTP otoh is like the epitome of cool. Maybe cool to a fault.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you, KDude. I think that really helped me see the big picture.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can understand the isfp one. Can you expand on istp? That is a really interesting angle on it.

I was thinking of the one ISFP (confirmed) I know IRL. I feel and think we are very different. Yet, I'm open to her in ways most people wouldn't be. The ISFP/ISTP dynamic is a very "feel" oriented one. It's hard to describe. Anyway. To expand on what my original post was...

ISFP's intensity - to the outsider - they are very calm and mellow but there is a fierceness (intensity) once you get to know them. ISTP's intensity is felt before you get to know them. Before you talk to them. It mellows out once the ice is broken. I hope that makes sense.

wolfy

awsm
I was thinking of the one ISFP (confirmed) I know IRL. I feel and think we are very different. Yet, I'm open to her in ways most people wouldn't be. The ISFP/ISTP dynamic is a very "feel" oriented one. It's hard to describe. Anyway. To expand on what my original post was...

ISFP's intensity - to the outsider - they are very calm and mellow but there is a fierceness (intensity) once you get to know them. ISTP's intensity is felt before you get to know them. Before you talk to them. It mellows out once the ice is broken. I hope that makes sense.

Ok, thanks. That makes sense and has been my experience also. People have said that about me and I can see how your definition of istp applies to friends of mine.

wolfy

awsm
I kind of resent the Peter Pan/Michael Jackson/Liberace descriptions of male ISFP's. They're all a bit too fey. I feel like I've lost my manhood being compared with them.

There might be a certain gentleness to ISFP, but apparently, Christopher Reeve, Magic Johnson, John Travolta, and Ashton Kutcher are ISFP.. They're all kind of soft hearted guys too, but not in some rhinestone men in tights sort of way. :D

Lets not forget Pablo either.. He was THE man.

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ4owtKH3M"]Pablo Picasso[/youtube]

I, too, kind of became confused on the differences with ISFP/ISTP, but it's these little things that help. Also, the thing someone said earlier about being more people oriented is true. Although I think both can be equally laid back and seem aloof from people at times... But as an ISFP, I'm still capable of showing a lot of affection and emotion. ISTP otoh is like the epitome of cool. Maybe cool to a fault.

I like what you have to say about ISFPness. Well put.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
:shock:

Sooooooooooooooooooooo remarkably different, I don't understand how anyone could confuse the two!!!

:shock:

Kinda like INTPs and INFPs!

Such different breeds, and evidently so too!!

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an ISFP guy friend... He acts pretty insensitive a lot of the time, and will often say something affectionate followed by something kinda mean. It's humorous to me though, and doesn't offend me. I can see why a lot of ISFP guys are mistaken as ISTPs because of this. I think a major difference is that deep down inside, he's a die hard romantic... you'd only need to take one look at the poetry he writes. A conversation we had once:

ISFP: "Steph, I don't think you could ever understand the full symbolic meaning behind a rose."
Me: "They smell nice and are pretty. I like being outside. I wanna be in the sun right now. :mellow:"

Also, he absolutely needs verbal affirmation from me and everyone he cares about. He's more likely to get down in the dumps as a result of someone's actions than I am. Whereas I would either not care, or get peeved about it. In fact, I think that's a pretty strong difference right there. He admits he gets his feelings hurt more than he would like, and I just get apathetic or slightly annoyed. They just really care about people, and I think it hurts them when someone does something to them they would never think about doing. Definitely agree with what Wolfy said about how ISTPs are object oriented and ISFPs are people oriented. In fact, we used to write each others stories, and his would be more focused on characters and mine would be more focused on the environment or plot itself.

KDude

I think both ISFP and ISTP are equally big animal lovers too... Probably for the all same reasons. But that's another thing they're resemble each other with.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
This thread is amusing and has some good tips in it.

Although I think I'm more things orientated than people orientated but that might be some kind of social anxiety business.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Your discriptions reminds me of this:

ISFP - soft on the outside, tough on the inside

ISTP - tough on the outside, soft on the inside