• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Istp + Infp =

heart

heart on fire
ISTP too pragmatic and in the moment, everything is now, seems like they will dampen and demean INFP's most central qualities. INFP long to be understood and appreciated by one special lover. I can't see it working out. But I am speaking hypothetically of course. I actually know nothing. :D

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From the beginning, he was the 'spill my guts' one and extremely affectionate.

Personally, when I'm clicking with someone and really enjoying their company I'll stop where we are and just say, "I like you". So I'd like to hear more about gooey ISTP behavior because that's about as gooey as I get. ;)

Never dated an INFP but my impression of my INFP friend: I like his wit and curiosity about the world and his humor. He was one of the only people who could kick me in the ass with a few well placed words but I wouldn't date him because I think he would exhaust me.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
ISTP too pragmatic and in the moment, everything is now, seems like they will dampen and demean INFP's most central qualities. INFP long to be understood and appreciated by one special lover. I can't see it working out. But I am speaking hypothetically of course. I actually know nothing. :D

Too pragmatic? Not possible.

Fecal McAngry

Personally, when I'm clicking with someone and really enjoying their company I'll stop where we are and just say, "I like you". So I'd like to hear more about gooey ISTP behavior because that's about as gooey as I get. ;)

Never dated an INFP but my impression of my INFP friend: I like his wit and curiosity about the world and his humor. He was one of the only people who could kick me in the ass with a few well placed words but I wouldn't date him because I think he would exhaust me.
I _like_ ISTPs. I recently worked with an ISTP on a physically involving project, and was amazed by his mechanical skills, by his ability to see how things would fall when we took away supports (I imagine ISTPs excel at controlled demolitions); I also enjoyed his laid back approach to life, he introduced me to some music I like an wouldn't have encountered otherwise (This, for example: Amazon.com: Parking Lot Music: E Vax: Music ); we got along easily and painlessly and had fun.

BUT, for a great LTR, I need one or more of these things:

1) Emotional stroking
2) Intellectual connection/stimulation
3) Security, AKA secure anchoring in the real world

No type is perfect, no type "fully" provides all three. An INTJ, for example, might provide much of 2, some of 1 & 3. An ESTJ might provide 3, but neither 1 nor 2. ISTPs do not provide any of the three for me, and I suspect I'd likewise fail to fulfill their needs...

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
BUT, for a great LTR, I need one or more of these things:

1) Emotional stroking
2) Intellectual connection/stimulation
3) Security, AKA secure anchoring in the real world

ISTPs do not provide any of the three for me, and I suspect I'd likewise fail to fulfill their needs...

You're dead wrong on #2..or not intellectually stimulating enough yourself to engage the ISTPs very nimble intelligence.

ISTPs can be trained to do #1 if the significant other is significant enough.

And they get better at #3 as they get older.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're dead wrong on #2..or not intellectually stimulating enough yourself to engage the ISTPs very nimble intelligence.

You are absolutely right as far as I know it, knowing istps like I do. ;)

And, sometimes, much to my chagrin, most of the women my husband is attracted to are infps.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

:yim_rolling_on_the_ Bolded is where you personally will struggle with INFP. Get offended much?

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
:yim_rolling_on_the_ Bolded is where you personally will struggle with INFP. Get offended much?

LOL.
My neighbor is an INFP. We get along great. But he can go on and on and on about certain topics...need to nip him in the bud every now and then and things are fine. Or ask him to make a batch of margaritas. INFPs DO Love to please! God love em~!

Wasn't offended at all...just needed to correct the record. ISTP waters run deep and many (esp NFs) are clueless as to how to reach them...and therefore assume they don't exist.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
totally possible. All the INFP has to do is make the ISTP think they're actually an ENFP. Find some similar interests, drive your car faster and you're in!

Fecal McAngry

I'm talking, of course, from my perspective. I assume my perspective is shared by many INFPs. I personally find a preference for sensation = lack of intellectual stimulation.

And to an INFP, the emotional stroking of an ISTP is likely to leave us starving, no matter how well-intended...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my limited experience, STPs look shallow till you get to know them. They can be incredibly deep, if you are lucky enough to see their TiNi at work. It's mindblowing, and highly addictive I might add. And then the next they're all Se and you go like...'where the F is that entrance to that deeper well, dammit! I know it's around here somewhere...' *puzzled look* After a while though, you actually start to see the merit in that Se, and learn from it, as it's a much neglected tool in my arsenal. Still takes getting used to every damned time though...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No amount of emotional stroking satiates the INFP. :newwink:

Be a man, and fess up already that you do not possess the ability to live up to and satisfy their needs :devil:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Be a man, and fess up already that you do not possess the ability to live up to and satisfy their needs :devil:

lol, my wife wanted a soft tub because she enjoys hot tubs:devil: I had to break it to her that the soft tub jets do not align properly for the amount of fun to be amplified:devil: Half of what we do people have no clue about:doh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ain't that the truth!

luckily...we aren't bothered by it.

I know everything you do:D We ISTPs see everything;)

edit: it is a good thing we arent bothered by what you do :D

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
He (istp) is intelligent and can speak with authority and passion about several subjects. But when he does talk, it is a bit harder for me to engage vs when I spoke with an intj or sf types. He doesn't ask me 'deep' questions about myself like the intj did in a very tender sort of way. It tickles me to be psychoanalyzed, and to be challenged, but he doesn't do that as much. So yes, intellectual stimulation is different for us. I like to be unwrapped by another brain, to be understood and to bring about a new understanding of myself. Unless I can turn it into a dirty joke, it is hard for me to have a smart comeback like I would with NT/SFs.

I knew we are not the most compatible and a lot of other factors are against us, but :hug: