User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 23

  1. #1
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default SP's and Conflict

    The recent ISTP thread reminded me of something..

    My reason for being at this site was to understand my proclivity towards conflict (among other things, but that's a big aspect of it). I score IS*P a lot, but I'm wondering if tests are inadequate.

    Anyways, which SP's are more comfortable with conflict?

  2. #2
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    The recent ISTP thread reminded me of something..

    My reason for being at this site was to understand my proclivity towards conflict (among other things, but that's a big aspect of it). I score IS*P a lot, but I'm wondering if tests are inadequate.

    Anyways, which SP's are more comfortable with conflict?
    I thrive in situations of conflict. I have never felt anxious or unable to assert myself, verball or physically. Conflict is a part of life. There are people out there (aka sociopaths) who have gotten away with using elementary school bullying techniques to manipulate and intimdate others their whole lives. I love bumping into these people. I love giving them their much needed wake-up call.

    If you know what you're talking about, and you are of good moral and ethical fiber, and you feel wronged by what someone said or did, then it is appropriate for you to engage the offending individual and make the situation right. If you let other people push you around then no one will respect you. When that happens, you have two choices (1) take shit, or (2) open up a can of whoop ass.

    I myself have never been able to take shit. There is one way to deal with conflict: HEAD-ON.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  3. #3
    Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Posts
    4,836

    Default

    I'd think that the ESTP's (possibly ISTPs too) are comfortable with conflict.
    I, myself, tend to be ok with conflict but I usually kinda freak out just as well when conflict arises. I'm the one hauling it out of there.

    edit: Of course, if someone brought a conflict TO me, then I can deal with it (though I can't say I'm completely in my right mind. I probably panic)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

  4. #4
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I thrive in situations of conflict. I have never felt anxious or unable to assert myself, verball or physically. Conflict is a part of life. There are people out there (aka sociopaths) who have gotten away with using elementary school bullying techniques to manipulate and intimdate others their whole lives. I love bumping into these people. I love giving them their much needed wake-up call.

    If you know what you're talking about, and you are of good moral and ethical fiber, and you feel wronged by what someone said or did, then it is appropriate for you to engage the offending individual and make the situation right. If you let other people push you around then no one will respect you. When that happens, you have two choices (1) take shit, or (2) open up a can of whoop ass.

    I myself have never been able to take shit. There is one way to deal with conflict: HEAD-ON.
    Heh you ESTP's are so balls out hardcore though.. ;D I'm not sure I'm exactly the same. I relate to much of what you said about seeing an offense, and stopping them. I do believe in facing things head on.. But are you willing to settle with them remaining enemies? I'm never good at that. It seems like an ESTP could leave them on the floor once you're done. Even if I elevate things to conflict, I'm always trying to improve the situation afterwards in some way. "Sorry I did that, but.." "Sorry I said that, but.." I still look for some harmony and all that.

    Additionally, one time I got my ass kicked severely - like big size 15 cowboy boots to the face and balls -- and I deserved it in this case -- but thing was, the whole time I was laughing. Pissed the guy off even more. I'm laughing about it now. But I wonder if that's a "ESFP/Performer" thing. Or am I just fucked up?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I've had many good arguments with ESTPs, always though ENTPs and ESTPs were least sensitive about the development of conflict. The introverted thinkers might not care either, but you don't seem them arguing as much. The Js don't seem to get the point of the sometimes pointless arguments that can go on and on among ExTPs.

  6. #6
    Not Your Therapist Sinmara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    When I was a child, I used to put my head down and charge into every little conflict like a raging bull. In my teenage years I got pretty quiet and withdrawn and very avoidant, but I returned to my fiesty old self when I hit my 20s.

    I learned the hard way that avoiding conflict for the sake of not upsetting people only prolongs it and leaves you feeling like a doormat. Sometimes people need to be upset. Sometimes you need to fly your freak flag and proudly flip everyone the birdy without shame or apology.

    Of course, there is a time and a place for everything and I've had to learn to choose my battles. Or, you know, pretend that I'm backing down but just do what I want anyway.

  7. #7
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I've had many good arguments with ESTPs, always though ENTPs and ESTPs were least sensitive about the development of conflict. The introverted thinkers might not care either, but you don't seem them arguing as much. The Js don't seem to get the point of the sometimes pointless arguments that can go on and on among ExTPs.

    No, I don't argue much. Arguments tend to be light hearted for me, and once people have made their points, I assume it's done. If anything, I try to see the humor in everyone's differences. I only get confrontational when there's a certain lack of respect for my space (and sometimes, everyone else's).

    Just to add, I haven't gotten physically confrontational in like 5 or 6 years actually. So it's not a common occurrence. But there's past behavior that doesn't line up with ISFP, for sure. They sound like hippies, who at worst, are only holding grudges secretly. OTOH I tend to express my differences with people fairly quickly. And as for ISTP, that recent thread confused me. Everyone thinks they're chill. Well.. I'm not. lol.. Not all the time at least.

    [edit] Btw, not sure what the differences are with socionics, but I get SEE there (ESFP).

  8. #8
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    If you let other people push you around then no one will respect you. When that happens, you have two choices (1) take shit, or (2) open up a can of whoop ass.
    This made me LOL. I really need to try to be just a little bit more like this.

    *lets the SPs get back to it*
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #9
    Senior Member McRumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3
    Posts
    276

    Default

    ISTP are practical problem solvers with a performance drive. If there are no problems to solve, we'll create some. So creating conflict is inevitable....unless you position yourself in life so that your career and lifestyle presents you with lots of ongoing problems to solve. We also get excited when there is talk about natural disasters...not because we enjoy destruction etc, but because they bring innumerable practical problems to solve. Relationships with lots of separation built in helps...day-to-day can get monotonous and provoke the conflict-loving beast.

  10. #10
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Heh you ESTP's are so balls out hardcore though.. ;D
    In our case the "S" stands for "Stubborn." We can't back down, it's not in our DNA.

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'm not sure I'm exactly the same. I relate to much of what you said about seeing an offense, and stopping them. I do believe in facing things head on.. But are you willing to settle with them remaining enemies?
    Yeah, sure, once the fight is over I can be civil with them if they are up to it. Quick to anger, quick to forgive. That's been the case in every throw down I've been in, next time you see the guy it's over, you just nod to each other and that's that, it's over, you give each other space and common respect for having the wherewithall to go through with it, and move on.

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'm never good at that. It seems like an ESTP could leave them on the floor once you're done. Even if I elevate things to conflict, I'm always trying to improve the situation afterwards in some way. "Sorry I did that, but.." "Sorry I said that, but.." I still look for some harmony and all that.
    But if it's just some random D-bag that really overstepped their boundaries, I see no need to reconcile whatsoever, they got what they asked for, and should consider it a lesson of how to improve themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Additionally, one time I got my ass kicked severely - like big size 15 cowboy boots to the face and balls -- and I deserved it in this case -- but thing was, the whole time I was laughing. Pissed the guy off even more. I'm laughing about it now. But I wonder if that's a "ESFP/Performer" thing. Or am I just fucked up?
    WHOA! You really screwed with that dude's mind by laughing at him while he walloped you. That takes guts, good for you! That reminds me of Daniel Craig in the James Bond movie where it starts, and he is naked, tied to a chair with the seat cut out, and this dude is swinging a huge rope with a know on it and swings it under Bond's chair, so that the rope with its big knot and all its momentum hit Bond's balls. :horor: Bond just laughed at the guy, over and over again, it was an awesome scene. I don't think you're fucked up, I think you have the capacity to forego the fear typically associated with physical pain. You knew it was coming, and you disengaged it. Rock on to you, Bro.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pettycure View Post
    I learned the hard way that avoiding conflict for the sake of not upsetting people only prolongs it and leaves you feeling like a doormat. Sometimes people need to be upset. Sometimes you need to fly your freak flag and proudly flip everyone the birdy without shame or apology.
    This. ^ Awesome reply.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] Sp's and tactics.
    By ColonelGadaafi in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 05:47 AM
  2. [SP] SP's and Se.
    By Athenian200 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 08:56 PM
  3. [SP] SP's and cheating
    By GirlAmerica in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 01:33 AM
  4. [MBTItm] NT Responsibility, SP enjoyment and own example
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM
  5. [NT] Berens' comments on NTs and conflict
    By rivercrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO