• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The most peaceful personality type? what do you guys think? I think ISTPs tend to avoid interpersonal conflict the most than any other type, I can relate to this as I enjoy harmonious relationships.

Chuckums

MBTI Type
ISTP
You know, I treat everybody with respect, and looking at other ISTPS, this could very well be true. I also think that many years ago, people were better to each other, but regardless of that, my fellow ISTPs are usually just nice people.:yes:

Unfortunately, there are many who look at someone that is treating them with respect as being weak and submissive, then it's like a switch is gonna get flipped and it's like- "Hey, lets see if we can piss off this ISTP!"

I read this behavior as: "Darwin Award"

But again, yes, I believe ISTPs would really just rather get along. There's just a lot of shitty people in this world.

Man, I hate to bring up this negative aspect, good thesis for a discussion.:)

thewoman1858

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Maybe I am the black sheep of the ISTP collection, but I would have to say a big resounding no. I love conflict.

magil

MBTI Type
EXFP
Maybe I am the black sheep of the ISTP collection, but I would have to say a big resounding no. I love conflict.

I have several ISTP friends and they vary greatly in this. Two are rather shy and peaceful, another is very out-going but not drama seeking, and the last one (who happens to be the guy) is extremely gossipy and loves drama. :D
So judging by my experiences, I'd say it's not a type quality but depends on the individual. :)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
The two ISTPs I know (well, one confirmed and one I've typed) are two of the coolest, mellow, go with the flow guys I know.

I wouldn't mind switching my J for a little P if it meant I was that cool.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Conflict isn't a negative thing for me. It's a tool to use. When I feel that I am being manipulated, treated unfairly or someone trying to take advantage of me I have no problem confronting them directly and hopefully resolving said issue to both our agreements.

So I guess I try to use conflict to seek harmony but because my approach to whatever problem is so matter of fact and I don't mince words people become defensive and angry because they think that I am. When, to me, things could be solved very quickly without all that.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Conflict isn't a negative thing for me. It's a tool to use. When I feel that I am being manipulated, treated unfairly or someone trying to take advantage of me I have no problem confronting them directly and hopefully resolving said issue to both our agreements.

This is my experience with ISTPs, too.
I don't think they try to avoid conflict. They never seek it out "for the sake of challenge", but if problems arise, they won't evade them.

thewoman1858

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

So I guess I try to use conflict to seek harmony but because my approach to whatever problem is so matter of fact and I don't mince words people become defensive and angry because they think that I am. When, to me, things could be solved very quickly without all that.

You know... I like this description. I will fight and I enjoy fighting when it happens, but unless someone instigates me nothing happens. I have a younger brother and he knows how to push all my buttons. Then he ends up being held to the ground with peanut butter on his face and me laughing while the dog licks it all off... not that I create clever methods of revenge or anything.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we're one of the more peaceful types, but maybe not -the- most peaceful. Maybe ISFPs are?

But as for the conflict thing, I really don't like it. I avoid it like the plague. I always joke that I'm an expert conflict-avoider, i.e., if I feel the least bit of tension I either sneak off or deflect it. I never really associated this with me being an ISTP, but because I'm a middle child of a very chaotic family. I think this because I wasn't always like this (Used to be a stubborn ass), but developed this way over time, especially during family issues.

It really works out for me most of the time. But every once in a while I have to step in and make a point that just because I'm easy-going doesn't mean I'll let anything go. Kinda like how Charles Isaac mentioned, pushing an ISTP too far is just plain stupid, imo. (i.e., my claws -will- come out).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ISTPs are the type that won't start that many fights on their own, but usually have no problem joining in if their friends get into one or get attacked (maybe more so with physical fights, than verbal ones). While IxFPs might be more likely to just not do anything.

Most I know like sports and competition and getting scrappy. But just don't start that much shit.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What!?! No mean streaks? :huh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTPs are the type that won't start that many fights on their own, but usually have no problem joining in if their friends get into one or get attacked (maybe more so with physical fights, than verbal ones). While IxFPs might be more likely to just not do anything.

Most I know like sports and competition and getting scrappy. But just don't start that much shit.

I agree, I dont like conflict, but I have asked my wife many times "you want me to do something about it?" When I do respond, I try to do it quick, and get it over with and move on like nothing happened. Have never been in a fight, dont have any enemies, no one really ever messes with me in a negative fashion. Never understood this.

edit: they do mess with me negatively sometimes, but it always seems to end pretty quick.

phoenity

I think it has more to do with Enneagram type (motivation) than personality type.

But there may be a correlation between the two.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Easy-going yes, but always willing to stir up trouble if things are too boring.

Very subtle usage of words/physical movement to create tension...which they then love to resolve.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Easy-going yes, but always willing to stir up trouble if things are too boring.

Very subtle usage of words/physical movement to create tension...which they then love to resolve.

You're a shit disturber! :laugh:

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I think it has more to do with Enneagram type (motivation) than personality type.

But there may be a correlation between the two.

Yeah, I think conflict avoidance and harmony seeking is an Enneatype 9 thing more than any MBTI types.

I also make things happen when there's nothing.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
My ISTP bf is definitely not afraid of trouble... when he was 12 or so, he was joking around with a spray bottle in the classroom when his xSTJ teacher tried to break the crowd up to start class... well, ISTP bf just squarely sprayed the man in the face with water! For shits and giggles. After that, and maybe a couple more skirmishes with each other, the teacher resigned.

It's not that he likes to start conflicts, but he does like to stir things up for fun--it's just that his brand of fun is often at odds with others, particularly the go-by-the-rules types.

Le sigh........ :wubbie:

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
now see, that's what I meant by "What!?! No meaness?"

Christmas Pagent I left the Angel of the Lord, stranded on a roof top.

Ran by and swiped the ladder off the side of a building, while nobody else was looking.

Just a spontaneous teenaged prank, knowing that the reaction out of that paticular girl
and her dad...would be "priceless."

The spectical of seeing the Angel of the Lord flailing it's arms in panic, with her equally animated and squeeling father down below. lol