User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ISTPs

Permabanned

Default ISTPs

The most peaceful personality type? what do you guys think? I think ISTPs tend to avoid interpersonal conflict the most than any other type, I can relate to this as I enjoy harmonious relationships.

MBTI
    ISTP

You know, I treat everybody with respect, and looking at other ISTPS, this could very well be true. I also think that many years ago, people were better to each other, but regardless of that, my fellow ISTPs are usually just nice people.

Unfortunately, there are many who look at someone that is treating them with respect as being weak and submissive, then it's like a switch is gonna get flipped and it's like- "Hey, lets see if we can piss off this ISTP!"

I read this behavior as: "Darwin Award"

But again, yes, I believe ISTPs would really just rather get along. There's just a lot of shitty people in this world.

Man, I hate to bring up this negative aspect, good thesis for a discussion.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Maybe I am the black sheep of the ISTP collection, but I would have to say a big resounding no. I love conflict.

MBTI
    EXFP

Quote Originally Posted by thewoman1858 View Post
    Maybe I am the black sheep of the ISTP collection, but I would have to say a big resounding no. I love conflict.
    I have several ISTP friends and they vary greatly in this. Two are rather shy and peaceful, another is very out-going but not drama seeking, and the last one (who happens to be the guy) is extremely gossipy and loves drama.
    So judging by my experiences, I'd say it's not a type quality but depends on the individual.

MBTI
    INTJ

The two ISTPs I know (well, one confirmed and one I've typed) are two of the coolest, mellow, go with the flow guys I know.

I wouldn't mind switching my J for a little P if it meant I was that cool.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Conflict isn't a negative thing for me. It's a tool to use. When I feel that I am being manipulated, treated unfairly or someone trying to take advantage of me I have no problem confronting them directly and hopefully resolving said issue to both our agreements.

So I guess I try to use conflict to seek harmony but because my approach to whatever problem is so matter of fact and I don't mince words people become defensive and angry because they think that I am. When, to me, things could be solved very quickly without all that.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Conflict isn't a negative thing for me. It's a tool to use. When I feel that I am being manipulated, treated unfairly or someone trying to take advantage of me I have no problem confronting them directly and hopefully resolving said issue to both our agreements.
    This is my experience with ISTPs, too.
    I don't think they try to avoid conflict. They never seek it out "for the sake of challenge", but if problems arise, they won't evade them.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post

So I guess I try to use conflict to seek harmony but because my approach to whatever problem is so matter of fact and I don't mince words people become defensive and angry because they think that I am. When, to me, things could be solved very quickly without all that.
    You know... I like this description. I will fight and I enjoy fighting when it happens, but unless someone instigates me nothing happens. I have a younger brother and he knows how to push all my buttons. Then he ends up being held to the ground with peanut butter on his face and me laughing while the dog licks it all off... not that I create clever methods of revenge or anything.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

I think we're one of the more peaceful types, but maybe not -the- most peaceful. Maybe ISFPs are?

But as for the conflict thing, I really don't like it. I avoid it like the plague. I always joke that I'm an expert conflict-avoider, i.e., if I feel the least bit of tension I either sneak off or deflect it. I never really associated this with me being an ISTP, but because I'm a middle child of a very chaotic family. I think this because I wasn't always like this (Used to be a stubborn ass), but developed this way over time, especially during family issues.

It really works out for me most of the time. But every once in a while I have to step in and make a point that just because I'm easy-going doesn't mean I'll let anything go. Kinda like how Charles Isaac mentioned, pushing an ISTP too far is just plain stupid, imo. (i.e., my claws -will- come out).
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

ISTPs are the type that won't start that many fights on their own, but usually have no problem joining in if their friends get into one or get attacked (maybe more so with physical fights, than verbal ones). While IxFPs might be more likely to just not do anything.

Most I know like sports and competition and getting scrappy. But just don't start that much shit.