• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Spontaneous pranks? Oh dear... as a kid my ISTP slid down the waterpark slide headfirst/stomachdown and mimicked a dead person floating on the pool. Caused a commotion, completely freaked everyone out, and from then on, there was a new policy there that all kids had to be accompanied by an adult. That didn't stop my bf from anything tho...

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lots of stuff I'll momentarily look back n' say, "omfg...what was I thinking?" :blush:

Then laugh. Not a darn bit regretful. :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Spontaneous pranks? Oh dear... as a kid my ISTP slid down the waterpark slide headfirst/stomachdown and mimicked a dead person floating on the pool. Caused a commotion, completely freaked everyone out, and from then on, there was a new policy there that all kids had to be accompanied by an adult. That didn't stop my bf from anything tho...

I was the one who would go down the slide standing up then some kid would try to mimick me, get hurt and then some stupid rule would go up because of it. If I fell and got hurt I would hide the hurt so a rule would not go up.

Or walking on the bars at the parks hopping from bar to bar playing tag. Someone busts their head open and some rule goes up that we cant do it anymore. Of course it never stopped me, just did it when people werent around.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh: That's true.

My husband was more of a daredevil than a prankster.

Thats how my wife would clasify me. She has had to get on me several times because people tend to follow my lead. Daredevils seem to know that boundary and constantly push it further.

edit: It also frustrates me to no end to have to maintain some boundary because someone else did not know how to walk that line. I have been told by a counselor that in a certain instance I did not actually break a boundary, but I did flirt heavily with that line. This seems to be a huge part of my personality in pretty much every area of my life, to constantly push things further and further:doh:

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
Conflict isn't a negative thing for me. It's a tool to use. When I feel that I am being manipulated, treated unfairly or someone trying to take advantage of me I have no problem confronting them directly and hopefully resolving said issue to both our agreements.

So I guess I try to use conflict to seek harmony but because my approach to whatever problem is so matter of fact and I don't mince words people become defensive and angry because they think that I am. When, to me, things could be solved very quickly without all that.

I agree. In my observation, conflict leads to harmony and self-improvement.

I think of my approach like a trial by fire through which others can forge themselves.

050811-066..jpg

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Thats how my wife would clasify me. She has had to get on me several times because people tend to follow my lead. Daredevils seem to know that boundary and constantly push it further.

edit: It also frustrates me to no end to have to maintain some boundary because someone else did not know how to walk that line. I have been told by a counselor that in a certain instance I did not actually break a boundary, but I did flirt heavily with that line. This seems to be a huge part of my personality in pretty much every area of my life, to constantly push things further and further:doh:

My husband is the same in this regard. He enjoys pushing the physical boundaries, especially with motor bikes. However, as he states, he knows how far to push it. With people tho, it depends if he likes/cares about you.

I perfer harmony and avoidance rather than deal with emotional charged issues or people I don't like.

I wonder if SPs are more incline to black humour due to their ability to push boundaries?

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I agree. In my observation, conflict leads to harmony and self-improvement.

I think of my approach like a trial by fire through which others can forge themselves.

050811-066..jpg

Lovely image.

I see it as kind of like a test. If they can take this, then I know I can be comfortable around them.

KDude

I've been irritated for awhile now because my need to resolve some things backfired. And I've never felt this way..months after the fact. I'll get over it, but it's a pain in the ass atm.. Conflict can be a gamble... Some people.... just don't play by the script, if you will xD Usually, I'm OK with that, but I guess.. not this time. I can't find enough bad things about her to tell myself "Oh, you're better off. You did nothing wrong."

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I've been irritated for awhile now because my need to resolve some things backfired. And I've never felt this way..months after the fact. I'll get over it, but it's a pain in the ass atm.. Conflict can be a gamble... Some people.... just don't play by the script, if you will xD Usually, I'm OK with that, but I guess.. not this time. I can't find enough bad things about her to tell myself "Oh, you're better off. You did nothing wrong."

Might she be some kind of ENF?

KDude

I'm really not sure.. I'm only just becoming familiar with SP's recently :D So not much thought put into other types. She might be a J though. Clean freak! And could be sort of judgmental (not in a bad way). If I were to take a guess, maybe INFJ.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I'm really not sure.. I'm only just becoming familiar with SP's recently :D So not much thought put into other types. She might be a J though. Clean freak! And could be sort of judgmental (not in a bad way). If I were to take a guess, maybe INFJ.

Yeah, I had similar experiences. It's probably better to stay reactive when dealing with NFs. Saves a lot of troubles.

KDude

It's probably better to stay reactive when dealing with NFs. Saves a lot of troubles.

duly noted..

i wouldn't mind meeting an enfp though (if i haven't already). they seem like the type of people who really want to get to know others, and won't make too many assumptions. i can dig it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
duly noted..

i wouldn't mind meeting an enfp though (if i haven't already). they seem like the type of people who really want to get to know others, and won't make too many assumptions. i can dig it.

A statement like this is akin to one drop of blood in shark infested waters. :newwink:

ENFP's are great.

toast

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
^ +1 IME.

Peaceful is definitely a word I'd use to describe an ISTP externally on an 'average' day. But I notice this aggressive complexity that comes out when they're playing hard or when they're upset. Getting drunk, excited, frustrated or insecure, there's this overwhelming building tension. Then when it snaps, they are as chaotic & aggressive as anyone I've ever seen.

I've only known 2 though, and I think they have insecurity issues with me. So my experiences are probably extreme.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
We're generally accepting, peaceful people.

But when we snap, prepare to get dismantled.

kitsunegari

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I think we're one of the more peaceful types, but maybe not -the- most peaceful. Maybe ISFPs are?

But as for the conflict thing, I really don't like it. I avoid it like the plague. I always joke that I'm an expert conflict-avoider, i.e., if I feel the least bit of tension I either sneak off or deflect it. I never really associated this with me being an ISTP, but because I'm a middle child of a very chaotic family. I think this because I wasn't always like this (Used to be a stubborn ass), but developed this way over time, especially during family issues.

I agree on this, I grew up having huge conflicts with my INTJ dad and because of this I developed a concflictshyness as an adult (which I'm currently working to get rid of... really hard!). I am also an enneagram 6w5, which makes me wanna suck up authorities asses sometimes, which also means that I'm very picky with who I'm picking a fight with, it has to be "worth" it. Brrr. No, I'm definitely most comfy with PEACE. An expert of smoothing things over, often by joking.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Like others have said, I don't actively seek conflict, but I certainly don't mind stirring things up if I feel there's a need. I'm generally a peaceful person but can be "a bitch" sometimes...I don't shy away from showing anger if it's befitting of the situation.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really, more conflict avoidant than isfps??

I'm actually pretty conflict avoidant IRL if it's a situation that people will overreact and get emotional about, though this may just be me and not an istp thing. I'm fine bringing up conflicting things in a calm way (it's my preference vs. saying nothing, actually). I don't mind "arguing" (vs. "fighting")...whenever emotions get involved it gets ugly. I'm not conflict avoidant on the internets, unless it's just too much to bother with or I don't feel like it.

Conflicts for me usually go:

1) calm and rational disagreement
2) other person gets PISSED for no reason and starts doing stupid things
3) I gethugely pissed off that the other person's pissed off at me for no reason
4) I leave or start snapping sarcastic things
5) I'm mad for a few hours or overnight then forget about it

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really, more conflict avoidant than isfps??

I'm actually pretty conflict avoidant IRL if it's a situation that people will overreact and get emotional about, though this may just be me and not an istp thing. I'm fine bringing up conflicting things in a calm way (it's my preference vs. saying nothing, actually). I don't mind "arguing" (vs. "fighting")...whenever emotions get involved it gets ugly. I'm not conflict avoidant on the internets, unless it's just too much to bother with or I don't feel like it.

Conflicts for me usually go:

1) calm and rational disagreement
2) other person gets PISSED for no reason and starts doing stupid things
3) I gethugely pissed off that the other person's pissed off at me for no reason
4) I leave or start snapping sarcastic things
5) I'm mad for a few hours or overnight then forget about it