• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Good rule of thumb about SP's noticing you out of the side of their eyes

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Yup. It does freak some people out. The upside is you really can read people better and faster when you look them in the eye. I can get a "read" from someone instantly. It's why I'm not a huge fan of the phone when conversing.

you are right about reading people, that is why i look people in the eye too.
but i totally LOVE the phone! my phone conversations tend to be a lot more rapid-fire, really fast-paced hammering and on-point.

KDude

I hardly ever keep eye contact while talking. But I do observe a lot despite that.

wolfy

awsm
Yup. It does freak some people out. The upside is you really can read people better and faster when you look them in the eye. I can get a "read" from someone instantly. It's why I'm not a huge fan of the phone when conversing.

you are right about reading people, that is why i look people in the eye too.
but i totally LOVE the phone! my phone conversations tend to be a lot more rapid-fire, really fast-paced hammering and on-point.

I'm with MDP. I am not that big a fan of the phone. I like to take a look at people and see how they are reacting/responding to things. I don't look the whole time, only at certain points in the convorsation. The same way I looked at the camera in my video.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
do you think so? i look directly at things quite a lot. i am always turning and moving to get a better look at things, a more direct look. although i do use my periphery a lot too.
but it does seem like most ISTPs seem to be pretty visual, and love to be always taking in info about everything through our eyes.

me too. i really stare at people when i am talking to them, directly in the eye. several times i have had people call me out on it, and say it makes them uncomfortable!

I agree. I always get the "You're freaking me out cause you are looking right into my soul," etc. But I still can never remember their eye color. Almost like I'm looking past their eye color.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I'm with MDP. I am not that big a fan of the phone. I like to take a look at people and see how they are reacting/responding to things. I don't look the whole time, only at certain points in the convorsation. The same way I looked at the camera in my video.

Hate the phone.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I generally don't like the phone, either. I'm a HUGE nonverbal reader, and I don't really even notice it until I can't read someone's expressions, or when online, can't hear their tone of voice. It dramatically reduces my ability to understand where someone else is coming from.

This coupled with the fact that as an expressive Initiator I'm not real good at listening, creates kind of a troublesome scenario. I've never had a problem going past my minutes, haha. Oh well.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Seems like the behavior is the same between us ITPs but you guys actually remember what you pick up. I have the same issues with interactions that aren't face-to-face. With how much I put into observing others and "reading" them, people don't believe me when I can't so much as remember how tall they are.

Eye color is the worst though. I don't really remember the eyecolor of anyone. I "know" what people have said about the eyecolors of others. Thus I "know" that mine is blue but i wouldn't really know that if people hadn't told me so.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree. I always get the "You're freaking me out cause you are looking right into my soul," etc.

This must be what happens when two ISTP's make eye contact with each other.

[YOUTUBE="x643MI3-Ddc"] :dont: [/YOUTUBE]

wolfy

awsm
That's funny! I think it is funny when people say "I don't like the way you are looking at me" I think it is because I really look when I want to make a point.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
This must be what happens when two ISTP's make eye contact with each other.

[YOUTUBE="x643MI3-Ddc"] :dont: [/YOUTUBE]

Pretty! :yes:

Also, I actually try to note people's eye color as sort of like a mental name tag. At least for some, anyways.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hate the phone just as well. I need face to face communication to read the people around me to really grasp what they're talking about. I always have to look into people's eyes though. I can't read their eyes though... I've always wondered how people do that.
I suppose I just use the 'look into some one's eyes' thing to see how secure or comfortable someone is around me. I've had people who will continue to look back into my eyes and others whom always have to look away. It's interesting to get that feel.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
ISTP's are especially intimidating because not only do they stare, but they also have a tendency to frown when they are analyzing and thinking.

sculpting

ISTPs can be kind of intimidating-but once I figured out this was more analytical with my ex, I just ignored it in new ISTPs I met.

I think the sideways eye ball look is Fe-I notice it very, very strongly in EXTPs, but not so much in ISTPs oddly.

That think about being able to observe tiny twitches and then route the convo to your own goal? Yup, you guys can do that. I can feel the convo being rerouted as typically you use tertFe, so I kick back with Te or redirect with Ne. Mostly this knocks you guys off balance, But if I get cornered by an ESTP, and cant really figure out what to do-I resort to email. I disengage, then email them and cc my boss.

I actually will make eye contact only when using Te. Then it is very direct and forceful and can be intimidating. But when I use Fi, I cant make any eye contact. I honestly dont have to. With other Te-Fi combo people, just by being in their proximity I can pick up on the subtle stuff you guys see visually. I "feel" it kinesthetically.

I know my "feel" of a Ti/Fe user is often correct-in that I recognize there is something out of the norm from their typical behavior-but my interpretation will be horrifically wrong as I try and jugde using Fi/Te.

I would expect you guys would "see" Fi/Te users doing something correctly, but then be very incorrect in an assessment of motive.

Does this sound right? ie you are good with other Ti users, but have a harder time with Fi users?