User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

Default ISTPs and people

I'm not sure how to word this but I hope I get the question across clear enough.

I'm with an ISTP and I notice that the source of all his excitement / energy / lust for life comes from either: inanimate objects, socializing with people he doesn't know too well (and there's a strict criteria for that, below) & pets.

With people, he only acts truly 'stimulated' if there will be people among the group that he is acquainted with but, under those conditions, the more strangers there are, the more excited he gets. (Example: he would never be dragged to a party where he didn't know anyone well enough but he still actively seeks out situations where he's surrounded by new faces.)

With anyone he knows well, he tends to lose his energy. Even if the event is exciting or he seems to be enjoying himself, his mood never goes any higher than "comfortable" (unless he's really drunk). But if you offer to buy him snacks, a gadget or show him a cat, he's near extroverted about his excitement.

It seems fairly normal, I suppose, to a point. I have never seen him stray from this pattern though. I'm pretty sure I never really saw him excited or thrilled over anything we did together (unless many others were involved) once I knew I had his trust. I had an idea that maybe he just naturally likes things that don't expect anything from him... Like the affection he can display towards pets is, just wow.

Any other ISTPs or SPs feel they relate to this? I want to understand it better. Also, any ISTPs ever actually been really excited about a specific person? And I don't mean an activity with a person or a chance to get away from boredom but really anxious/happy to see or be around someone?

I'm pretty sure I'm an ISTP (but with some F?). I just registered here as an ISFP too. Kind of confused still, so I'm sorry if that isn't helpful..

I feel that way about pets.. How different I can be compared with people. Oddly, I was just noticing this about myself today.

I get that way at parties with strangers too, but since I drink at parties, one could attribute that to just having a good buzz/lesser inhibition.

I don't know if I've ever been excited about "snacks" (are you sure he's not a pet as well ? :P ). But I do get kind of goofy if someone wants to make a run to the store or get something to eat. I'm restless.. love my little breaks from routine. Perhaps that's all it is for your friend - even if it's just gadgets and snacks!

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

No way. The only way I can be stimulated by people is by being around people I know. If not I just end up crawling in a hole.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

yeah, i kind of see what thousandapples is talking about. i like to be around a sort of core group of people that i know really well, that i have a long and established and well-worn relationship with. that is pretty exciting to me.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

yup, i'm in heaven with, ok... a slight breeze and a mist. Oh, a specific person? nah...

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm an ISTP (but with some F?). I just registered here as an ISFP too. Kind of confused still, so I'm sorry if that isn't helpful..

I feel that way about pets.. How different I can be compared with people. Oddly, I was just noticing this about myself today.

I get that way at parties with strangers too, but since I drink at parties, one could attribute that to just having a good buzz/lesser inhibition.

I don't know if I've ever been excited about "snacks" (are you sure he's not a pet as well ? :P ). But I do get kind of goofy if someone wants to make a run to the store or get something to eat. I'm restless.. love my little breaks from routine. Perhaps that's all it is for your friend - even if it's just gadgets and snacks!
    I like this avatar!

And to OP: How sure are you of his excitement level? Are you sure he's not overcompensating for his stress?
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

My ISTP is like this, to some degree, about everything. Not necessarily new people or things, but who she hasn't spoken to in a while. She gets bored of the too familiar, finds something new and exciting, and returns when she's bored of it (possibly for losing it's shininess). If she hasn't spoken to you for awhile, she'll be like, "Hello, how are things?" and then she disappears off the face of the Earth for another year. It isn't a case of being bored of people for evars! Just bored for now. I think ISTPs just need a vacation away from familiar people and things, just so they have time to feel the impact of the absence. Or maybe just the boredom of whatever is right infront of them. My ISTP recently got Facebook, and I'm preparing myself for a long psychological absence. That is, until she grows bored of it. I don't take it too personally, because I know she loves me. At least, she always pings back after her absence.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

hmm...I resemble the OP

It's not something I understand, nothing on a consious level I can relate...it simply is.

I prefer spending time with people I like and know well, in the scenarios where there are a lot of people I don't know at all.

I get around, but it's more like being on autopilot. Maybe more energy is shown in those scenarios because it literally burns and requires more.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by toast View Post
    ...I notice that the source of all his excitement / energy / lust for life comes from either: ... pets.

...But if you offer to buy him snacks, a gadget or show him a cat, he's near extroverted about his excitement.
    So true...

As for the strangers thing... that's kinda interesting. I get very drained with large groups of strangers unless I'm in a familiar territory or I'm with a person I'm comfortable with. Or it's a really fun, upbeat environment. Or if there's alcohol.

I'm sure I'll have more to add later.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by toast View Post

With anyone he knows well, he tends to lose his energy. Even if the event is exciting or he seems to be enjoying himself, his mood never goes any higher than "comfortable" (unless he's really drunk). But if you offer to buy him snacks, a gadget or show him a cat, he's near extroverted about his excitement.
    I have a friend who I am fairly sure is ISTP...Your "snacks" comment rings a bell with me. We are both Canadian and I knew him when he was living in the UK like me, and we'd have long silly discussions about unhealthy cereals available when we were children...he would get really excited about that stuff...

He's one of those people who frustrate me a bit because I tended to feel like he had lots of unrealised potential just because he wasn't very motivated. I mean, he was a bit of a workaholic when I knew him, but it seemed like it was mainly so he could compete with his older brothers...not because of any deeper inner motivation...and he'll get into ruts where he seems bored and unhappy but just doesn't appear to have the motivation to get out of it...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING