• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs, and the finer things in life.

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
Hello ISFP's and observers of ISFP's. :) I am a great admirer of ISFP's, and I can usually relate easily to them, and I had a question.

I hate to generalize about types, but I've noticed two of the ISFPs I know love nothing more than to read Shakespeare, Dante's Inferno, Homer's Odyssey, etc.

This has always seemed out of character to their personalities, but it holds true for both. Now, this isn't to say they don't also love Red Vs. Blue, Anime, and Family Guy, but I was wondering if it was a common thing for ISFPs? I always (stupidly?) assumed it was more of an NT thing, but I would like to know your opinion/thoughts.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I personally love Homer's Odyssey and hate Family Guy (go figure, i know ;))
I like a lot of the stories written about mythology and will gladly find literature that involves such. If its interesting, then I'll totally go for it. Doesn't matter what it is.
It really has to do with personal references. I personally hate shows like Family Guy and The Simpsons because I personally don't find that type of humor very funny.

I'm pretty sure ISFP's are very capable of enjoying fine literature. Literature is a written art and I know for myself, it intrigues me just like any form of art. :)

edit: sorry for all the jumping around :blush:

D

Dali

Books I'm currently reading --> Vanity Fair (no, not the magazine) and Anna Karenina.

On my MP3 player --> (currently) two contemporary music albums (one's Enya and the other is a guilty pleasure that shall remain unnamed) and at least five classical music recordings (a Marilyn Horne and Leontyne Price joint recital, Marilyn Horne singing Mahler, half of act 1 of Puccini's Tosca, Renee Fleming's Belcanto recording, Jussi Bjoerling's Basta...etc)

In my wardrobe --> Non-trendy yet admittedly stylish stuff.

I don't purposely seek out the so-called finer things in life but I can't help - nor can I specifically explain - it that what I enjoy and what society deems the high arts seem to coincide. I think that part of my interest stems from my love for and appreciation for beauty in all its manifestations. I feel that the old masters put a lot more thought, originality and a lot more of themselves into their creations than many contemporary artists (writers, poets...) do.

And yet I also enjoy Family Guy, Christina Aguilera and Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your question is all over the map. Are you asking if it's a common thing for ISFPs to read the particular things you listed? :huh:

If so, I would think it would be hard to know the answer without surveying a large sample of ISFPs.

My answer to those specific writings would be no. And I don't consider any of that to be "the finer things in life."

Also, what is "Red Vs. Blue?"

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I love to read all of those things. Things that are truly well written are very appealing to me.
Not only did I read Dante's Inferno, I also read Purgatorio and Paradisio. In other words, I read the entire Divine Comedy. Oddly enough, I found Paradisio a little flat after the first two. The ending was rather anti-climactic. But still, Dante wrote great epic poetry.
I love poetry, and I read one poem every day.

Hello ISFP's and observers of ISFP's. :) I am a great admirer of ISFP's, and I can usually relate easily to them, and I had a question.

I hate to generalize about types, but I've noticed two of the ISFPs I know love nothing more than to read Shakespeare, Dante's Inferno, Homer's Odyssey, etc.

This has always seemed out of character to their personalities, but it holds true for both. Now, this isn't to say they don't also love Red Vs. Blue, Anime, and Family Guy, but I was wondering if it was a common thing for ISFPs? I always (stupidly?) assumed it was more of an NT thing, but I would like to know your opinion/thoughts.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
My ISFP friend has been caught reading Anna Karenina in the back corner of a bar. :) She gets annoyed with Family Guy.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The ISFP I know is more into zen sayings and Eastern proverbs of sort. She is always gaining some deeper meaning from them and sharing it. I think it helps her.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Love listening to and playing on piano classical music. Hate family guy, simpson type shows.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The ISFP I know is more into zen sayings and Eastern proverbs of sort. She is always gaining some deeper meaning from them and sharing it. I think it helps her.

I have the same need to share my percieved insights from spiritual sources. :blush: However, I just don't.

I don't care for the Family Guy or Simpsons either but I enjoy the twisted non-PC humour of South Park.

I'm not attracted to the finer things in life but nor will I poo-poo it.

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
Thank you all so much for your answers! I really appreciate it. :)

Your question is all over the map. Are you asking if it's a common thing for ISFPs to read the particular things you listed? :huh:

If so, I would think it would be hard to know the answer without surveying a large sample of ISFPs.

My answer to those specific writings would be no. And I don't consider any of that to be "the finer things in life."

Also, what is "Red Vs. Blue?"

Please excuse the vagueness. I was wondering if ISFPs particularly appreciated the particular things I listed, but also other similar things. What do you consider to be the "finer things in life"? I apologize; I am not trying to sound pretentious or make any assumptions.

Red Vs. Blue is an online show based off of Halo, it's incredibly funny but stupid humor.

Great works of art appeal to all types.

Very true, more so than I had realized.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My ISFP is definitely not into literature (he's more blue collar-ish background).

Neither he nor I would consider those the finer things in life though. I LOVE reading...but not (most of) the classics...blegh. Quite a few very notable exceptions mixed in there, but in general, not a fan. He doesn't really read at all other than technical books and the occasional bibliography (mostly musicians).

When I think of the "finer things" I would be more inclined to think of dance, theatre, and fine dining rather than literature, but I know that it's a very fluid and subjective description.

wolfy

awsm

I've been really into zen and tao sayings and reading about zen and taosism was really interesting. I really don't know if I am into the finer things or not, all I can say is if I am into something, I am really into it.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Please excuse the vagueness. I was wondering if ISFPs particularly appreciated the particular things I listed, but also other similar things. What do you consider to be the "finer things in life"? I apologize; I am not trying to sound pretentious or make any assumptions.

Excused. I think the finer things in life are having fun with friends and family, good music, good food, hugs, driving on the open road, feeling the wind on my face or the water around me, watching nature around me, seeing children laughing and having a good time. Stuff like that. :)

Red Vs. Blue is an online show based off of Halo, it's incredibly funny but stupid humor.

Ah, thanks. Never heard of it but then I'm pretty out of touch with what's popular these days. ;)

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
All I know is that ISFP's are the finer things in life. :cool:

Caligula

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
-
Excused. I think the finer things in life are having fun with friends and family, good music, good food, hugs, driving on the open road, feeling the wind on my face or the water around me, watching nature around me, seeing children laughing and having a good time. Stuff like that. :)
Oh yes, absolutely. :) Maybe I should have put "finer things" in quotes...

All I know is that ISFP's are the finer things in life. :cool:
Haha!! 100% Agreed.