• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTP careers

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Not sure if this is posted in the correct place, but I'm curious.

ESTP's, are any of you very satisfied with your current career, and if so, what is it? Have you found something you're really passionate about and enjoy? (Or, is there something you want to do in the future, career-wise?)

How did you decide, and what do you like best about what you do?

If you hate your job and you'd like to tell me why, I'm interested in that conversation, too. :)

une_autre

MBTI Type
ESTP
My career has not started yet, since I am currently an undergraduate.
I am however very dissatisfied with the career options that my degree offers and this is why I will start a second degree. I am working on saving money to afford to pay for a second one, because I don't want to give up the first degree.

As to how I decided, it was a rash decision based on what I liked and on the fact that everybody actively encouraged me to go for it. I should have known better though. Too bad I didn't think about the future I really wanted, fact which now has me very frustrated.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
My career has not started yet, since I am currently an undergraduate. I am however very dissatisfied with the career options that my degree offers and this is why I will start a second degree. I am working on saving money to afford to pay for a second one, because I don't want to give up the first degree.

As to how I decided, it was a rash decision based on what I liked and on the fact that everybody actively encouraged me to go for it. I should have known better though. Too bad I didn't think about the future I really wanted, fact which now has me very frustrated.

Do you mind being more specific? Are you dissatisfied with the amount of money your first degree would allow you to earn, or do you think the type of job you're qualified to get will be unsatisfying/boring, etc? If you based your degree on something you like, and others encouraged you, why do you consider it a rash decision? Why will the second degree be better?

une_autre

MBTI Type
ESTP
Do you mind being more specific? Are you dissatisfied with the amount of money your first degree would allow you to earn, or do you think the type of job you're qualified to get will be unsatisfying/boring, etc? If you based your degree on something you like, and others encouraged you, why do you consider it a rash decision? Why will the second degree be better?

I do think that studying Physics (which is one of my greatest passions) will not bring me the financial situation that I would dream of. Neither do I think that, despite liking the subject a lot, the job that I could get with it would suit my taste. What I am ultimately searching for is a balance between earnings and enjoyment of what I am doing and my point is that I highly doubt that this degree will bring me such a balance.

I say it was a rash decision because I was not convinced of this till the end, but nor was I convinced that I wanted to do something else. So even after all the thinking, I was not 100% sure that I wanted to this. I still think that it is way too early to decide what your future career is going to be at 18 years old, that's why I don't have many regrets for choosing this, as I have had the opportunity to think about what my future aims are.

In addition, I was greatly disappointed with the quality of teaching - not at my university only, but generally in this country. I feel not challenged enough - certainly not at my level of intelligence.

As for the second degree, I am actually weighing the pros and cons of more choices and I will wait another year before going for it. This time I really want to make sure that I take into account the future as well and decide whether I want to stay in this country or not.

(sorry if my phrases are a bit odd, since it is 4AM here and I really need to sleep)

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know about the UK, but a Bachelor of Science in almost any subject is more broadly employable vs. a Bachelor of Arts.

With General B.Sc. in Physics:
Teaching - high school and elementary. The current shortage of teachers trained in the physical sciences is likely to continue for several years.
Laboratory Technician - in government or industry.
A range of technical jobs - radiation monitoring, electrical power plant operator, scientific instrument operator
Meteorology (the study of weather) - proceed to Diploma programme or graduate study
Computer programming in industry (e.g. aircraft design)
Salesperson for technical instruments
Self-employment - electronics/computer development, contracting for installation of acoustic insulation.
Continue to Law degree - e.g. industrial patents.
Proceed to Honours Degree

If it were me I'd finish with Physics if that's what I really loved.

Everything else usually comes out in the wash.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Type: ESTP

Major: Undergrad=Management Information Systems; Grad=Public Administration

Job: Senior Database Analyst, Technical Lead for New Projects/Program Development, Project Manager

Prospective Career: Health Care Policy Consultant specializing in public health project implementation

Of course if I could anything I wanted, I would be a bodybuilder, DJ, and gourmet chef, and freelance poet /musician...slightly different than what I fell into!!! :doh:

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I am an INFP, but my better half is an ESTP and he is a firefighter (I do volunteer) and he loves it. He says that he feels like he is doing something with his life.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
I work in the technology industry, and ESTPs own sales engineering. Technical understanding plus making product demonstrations. The INTPs sit quietly in cubes writing code, the ESTPs tell the world what they've done.