User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

My ISFP friend loves intellectual conversation to a degree. I think he sees it as just another thing to explore. Of course he doesn't always care much for precision or accuracy, he is more of an idea person, so if the conversation starts getting too detailed he loses interest.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    what kind of an answer is that? you are just begging for someone to play devils' advocate and demand you explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    how?

:P
    Now I've gone and done it!

I do like intellectual conversations, it depends on the subject. I can talk your ear off or you might just get a couple of words. I definitely like to think about things like that and enjoy time lost in thought thinking an idea through. Putting ideas in a way that others can understand can be a grind. It is not that my thoughts are so profound, it is just that is simply fun to just think and then move on.

Having to explain yourself can be a pain in the ass.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The yes and no makes sense for ISFP considering that Ni is our tertiary process and can be attributed many times to "deep thought."

Some say the tertiary function in MBTI is commonly either on or off. If that applied, then it makes sense that some days we are deep, some days we most certainly aren't and there isn't a whole lot of middle ground.

An ISFP that hasn't focused on building Ni (And Ne) will have a hard time following and enjoying intellectual discussions.

An ISFP that has developed Ni and Ne will definitely be able to follow and contribute to these types of discussions, but may bore easily if the conversation doesn't seem to have enough practical application or isn't making enough progress I.E. talking in circles.

I personally loathe beaurocracy and if an intellectual/deep conversation has any sign of either ego, power struggles, or anything else that doesn't advance our knowledge and the truth of the situation, then I have no interest.

Most times I would be content to joke around with friends and be my goofy self.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It just has to be tangible. If it doesn't really apply to anything or if it isn't relevant to my interests I get bored very, very quickly.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

I do like sharing core thoughts/ideals, but not for long. I *believe* that I sometimes provoke people to dwell on the subject, inquire for more, or challenge, but at that point, I'm already kind of gone. I can talk forever about, say, bands, or foods, or some kind of relationship help for a friend.. But too much theorizing makes me weary. And I'm definitely like the ISFP's mentioned who tend to brush over details.

Just to add.. It is strange that I'm big on details when it comes to actions/work/or even just chilling out and taking everything in. And dear lord, I'm my own worst enemy sometimes if I want to create, and have faulty tools (like, say, a fucked up guitar amp).

Conversationally though, especially with theorizing, my need for details is just not there.

MBTI
    ISFP

It really depends on the subject...but that can be said for anything.

I can't stand philosophical conversations...I don't want to argue over how we were created or "life purpose" or what not--let's just have some fun while we're here damn it!

Though I do get interested in religious conversations and how it interacts with culture and the impact it has had throughout history...so some stuff, yeah. Usually not for long periods of time. And if I'm even listening to a political conversation and it gets heated...it angers me even though I've never said a word the whole time.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    It just has to be tangible. If it doesn't really apply to anything or if it isn't relevant to my interests I get bored very, very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdhc08 View Post
    I can't stand philosophical conversations...I don't want to argue over how we were created or "life purpose" or what not--let's just have some fun while we're here damn it!

Though I do get interested in religious conversations and how it interacts with culture and the impact it has had throughout history...so some stuff, yeah. Usually not for long periods of time. And if I'm even listening to a political conversation and it gets heated...it angers me even though I've never said a word the whole time.
    Yup... This has been a point of frustration with my ISFP bf and I actually.

Doesn't like talking about theories, possibilities, ideas, or the way things work/happen which I find fascinating. (even in fields he's deeply immersed in) The absolute last topic he'd ever want to talk about would be the meaning of life and how people think.

Anything that's not literal here and now seems to be highly boring to him. Business, economics, cultures, entrepreneur ideas, processes, science, yeah...

But then I wonder what the definition of "deep intellectual conversations" actually is, because could be different for types.

For me, it seems to be a complete lack of Ti and Ni which I love talking about. Ni things fascinate me especially. But these are type specific. I feel like there is really no more depth to him beyond where we are, and I have a whole other private half of myself I haven't been able to share yet.
    Last edited by nynesneg; 02-02-2010 at 01:13 AM.
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I have little patience for deep intellectual conversations because in my experience people like to hear themselves speak in this kind of interaction, and then the conversation goes off the track into La La Land.