• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's and Intuition

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And nope, I'm not speaking of Intuitive as in "N".

I'm talking about sixth sense the big ole "SP"!

Was talking with a long time friend tonight, and had shared that I was taking a class at Community College this Spring for fun in an email earlier today.

So my phone rang tonight, and they ask me about the University? And I'm like no, the local Community College. Then I tell them what class and they ask if I'm thinking about taking a certain track? ***on a side note I'm a life long learning type/but it's not often formalized. Took me forever to earn the first degree.

Interestingly, I had applied at the University they'd named last Thursday specifing the exact major my friend mentioned. There's no way in hell they could have known that.

And wasn't really ready to say yet, in that it's not a "done deal."

Nother ISTP who lives couple hundred miles away now. We might not talk for a couple of months, then catch up.

But even at this distance, there was a day a few months ago I noticed the old gym we used to go to had closed. And mentally said, "Dude, the old gym is closed." "I wonder if you can hear me?!?" *laughs at self*

My phone rang after I got home, I saw the number pop up on caller id and it scared me. "oh, crap...did they actually hear me?"

Next, friend says "I've been meaning to call you since 2 o'clock, just got busy." Well, it was about 2 o'clock when that "I wonder if you can hear me" popped into mind.

Lots of situations in life like that with my mother, fiance, this friend and a couple other oddities here and there.

Just curious about other SP's and "Intuition."

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
My most likely guess would be that it was subconscious experience pouring into consciousness.

Certain studies have been made by neurologists regarding the ability to process information in conjunction with decision, as it turns out the subconscious parts(frontal lobes versus the rest of the brain) were able to process twenty fold the amount of information that the conscious part, using the same duration could when making a decision or a perception. They theorized that it was information that was long term stored in the back our head's.

So if we take that in as a factor, i think when people say that they have a sixth sense, they are just able to derive more effectively subconsciously stored information and process into an accurate response to their perception of the situation. (I hope i was being comprehensible.)

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:) yeah, the post is coherent... well communicated, just that I'll need to slowly read it for a few times so that it'll circle the toilet bowl and flush in. :blush:
:D

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm... Seems like there's been some interesting research on anterior cingulate cortex activity. i.e. People who went to higher ground to seek safety before a Tsunami arrived.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Weird!

I've had a few moments like this recently. Hadn't talked to a guy in weeks (months?), was talking about getting my new house with someone and having this guy do some work for me and about 10 minutes later he IMs me out of the blue asking about the holidays. No idea what type he is. He's done that a couple of times - messaging when I've been thinking about him. Scary!

My ESTP bff was talking to me via IM and he picked up on the fact that I was really down after just a couple of lines of conversation that really had nothing to do with anything. Maybe it's 'cause he knows me so well, but it was refreshing to talk to him and just know that he knew wtf was going thru my head without being here at all. Honestly he was more helpful than any of my friends that actually live near me. I suppose that's more N than what the OP was really talking about.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am like that in my dreams. During the day I take in a lot of details, to a point of annoyance. I am so focused on external world and all its details, that even my dreams are usually just about my day, or a day similar to other days. In those dreams, I am often able to predict exact scenarios for the next day, or a week later. (that sounds more ISTJ than SP. But. whatev. haha)

Anyway, during the day sometimes similar things happen, and I think its kind of what Colonel was describing, your subconscious holding onto things that consciously, you have no idea about.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I use to have all sorts of dreams that came true. Eventually it became more like deja vu. Now I don't have them but I attribute that to my lack of sleep (due to nursing at night). I have always been deeply spiritual and I'm sure if I mediate regularly, I would have those deja vus again.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's my weirdest one, well one of the weirdest ones.

About a year and one half ago, a friend sent me an email asking if I'd research a company he had the opportunity to interview with.

So I did and I replied.

Five hours later the friend pulls up on their motorcycle. Just dropped by to visit out of the blue. In all the years we'd been friends they'd never ever ever just dropped by like that.

About two or three minutes after I meet them outside, the email I'd sent five hours before shows up on their blackberry.

Dude looks at me and says, it's an email...from you. How'd you do that?

uh, TTP protocal? "what?" "You know the telepathic transport protocal."

Just shook my head and said, "I sent that thing over five hours ago."

They checked the timestamp and indeed I had.

Then they asked what I thought it might mean?

Just kind of laughed and said that they might want to get a head start on packing to relocate for the new job. :yes:

Indeed they did.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am sorry to jump in here and become all analytical .. I just wanted to reply myself .. I have a little Pness :doh:

Sixth sense is a feeling about something .. Intuition continues from that and gives you further information .. So like me the other day, the phone rang and as i was walking to it, i knew who was on the other end. I answered and it was him. I wasn't expecting a call from him, it was just a moment.

So are we not talking about intuition here as opposed to sixth sense .. So we are talking about N possibly .. And we do all have it. Some people just use it more than others.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting post:

"Introverted iNtuition
Tertiary iNtuition maintains a low profile. ISTPs are prone to consult "gut feelings" that most probably arise from this function unconsciously. As with other SP types, ISTPs generally lack enthusiasm for theoretical and philosophical issues, and less for the endless discussions in which the Intuitive (especially NP) types so frequently engage."

ISTP Profile

Interesting article by Psychology Today:

Is There a Sixth Sense? | Psychology Today

As to the type logic quote, I don't know about other SP's, but ISTP friends often speak of "gut feeling" or "going with the gut."

Sixth sense for me describes the experience of the function arising unconsciously. Intuition yes, we all have it to a degree...but I tend to perceive it as being more active and/or direct.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Interesting article by Psychology Today:

Is There a Sixth Sense? | Psychology Today

That was an interesting article, thank you for sharing :D

As to the type logic quote, I don't know about other SP's, but ISTP friends often speak of "gut feeling" or "going with the gut."

Sixth sense for me describes the experience of the function arising unconsciously. Intuition yes, we all have it to a degree...but I tend to perceive it as being more active and/or direct.

I also get that gut feeling, other times i just know that something is going to happen (no details though) or i am talking to someone and i KNOW they are withholding information, which i eventually get out of them, lol.

The only thing i find scary yet fascinating about it is that i have no control (although that contradicts what the article above says) over it, i am not sure how it is beneficial to me and i wish it would happen more often as i like those Wooooo moments.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:) Nice that someone likes it. btw...it creeps me out.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, I will add one. I was sitting at a table outside with an umbrella. The wind all of a sudden blew the umbrella out of the center of the table and I reached up and caught it. It was so fast that most either didnt realize what happened yet or were just noticing not even thinking about how to respond. My wife gave me this look like how the crap did you catch that.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's fun to find oneself in motion, before anyone else...including oneself has time to think.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's fun to find oneself in motion, before anyone else...including oneself has time to think.

Yeah it required no thought. A reaction where my subconcious somehow sensed it or was already prepared for it to happen and sent a signal to my hand and arm without me even being conciously aware of it. These are the things you wish you had a video of because it happened to fast for anyone to analyze anything.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I am like that in my dreams. During the day I take in a lot of details, to a point of annoyance. I am so focused on external world and all its details, that even my dreams are usually just about my day, or a day similar to other days. In those dreams, I am often able to predict exact scenarios for the next day, or a week later. (that sounds more ISTJ than SP. But. whatev. haha)

Anyway, during the day sometimes similar things happen, and I think its kind of what Colonel was describing, your subconscious holding onto things that consciously, you have no idea about.

I tend to predict my own future, too. It comes to me in instantaneous thoughts, like a potential conversation will pop into my head and I'll think about how I'd respond, having this feeling that I'll be having that conversation later, and I do. I partially make it happen, but some of the factors involved seem to, strangely enough, have nothing to do with me.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Yeah it required no thought. A reaction where my subconcious somehow sensed it or was already prepared for it to happen and sent a signal to my hand and arm without me even being conciously aware of it. These are the things you wish you had a video of because it happened to fast for anyone to analyze anything.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. I tend to react physically to things without even thinking about it. Or I'll act preemptively in perfect motions by instinct. (I've noticed lately that I'm crazy good at catching things, especially when they're on the brink of destruction. That's always automatic.)

I do the same thing with comebacks. I have no idea how I ever got so good at coming up with comebacks, witty retorts and puns, it just seemed to develop somewhere, and sometimes I don't even have to think about it, but quick as lightning my lips are forming some rather amusing verbage.