• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] What are female ISTPs like in a relationship?

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I find female ISTPs intriguing and am curious about how they tend to act / what they tend to value / how they are perceived in a relationship. So female ISTPs (or people who have dated them), what types do you usually go for, are you more attracted to thinkers or feelers, do you like to be in charge, what are common positives / negatives you tend to encounter in relationships, etc, etc, etc. :)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find female ISTPs intriguing and am curious about how they tend to act
I'm very reserved and quiet around people I don't know. People mistake me for being shy but I'm definitely not shy. I usually just don't care or feel the need to interact. I'm a minimalist. No one can make me do something I don't want to do. The words "strong" "tough" and "intense" are words used to describe me many times by people who don't know me that well. The words "sweet" "independent" and "distinctly individual" are from people who do know me well.

what they tend to value
I value honesty, efficiency, freedom and independence. My friendships are my lifeline to the world. So they are very valued and I am willing to take great strides to maintain and support them.

how they are perceived in a relationship.
:popc1:

So female ISTPs what types do you usually go for, are you more attracted to thinkers or feelers, do you like to be in charge, what are common positives / negatives you tend to encounter in relationships, etc, etc, etc. :)
I've been with both and I definitely prefer a T in relationships. They aren't offended or made insecure by my bluntness. They even play off it. I love that. It's necessary that I can say what I think the way I want to say it and not have to translate it to be more palatable to the listener.

I don't like to be in charge yet I will not be controlled. :coffee: I like my relationships to be egalitarian. Each person has a strength that is used to compliment the others weakness and each recognizes this and celebrates it in the other. That's a beautiful thing.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm very reserved and quiet around people I don't know. People mistake me for being shy but I'm definitely not shy. I usually just don't care or feel the need to interact. I'm a minimalist. No one can make me do something I don't want to do. The words "strong" "tough" and "intense" are words used to describe me many times by people who don't know me that well. The words "sweet" "independent" and "distinctly individual" are from people who do know me well.

what they tend to value
I value honesty, efficiency, freedom and independence. My friendships are my lifeline to the world. So they are very valued and I am willing to take great strides to maintain and support them.

So female ISTPs what types do you usually go for, are you more attracted to thinkers or feelers, do you like to be in charge, what are common positives / negatives you tend to encounter in relationships, etc, etc, etc. :)
I've been with both and I definitely prefer a T in relationships. They aren't offended or made insecure by my bluntness. They even play off it. I love that. It's necessary that I can say what I think the way I want to say it and not have to translate it to be more palatable to the listener.

I don't like to be in charge yet I will not be controlled. :coffee: I like my relationships to be egalitarian. Each person has a strength that is used to compliment the others weakness and each recognizes this and celebrates it in the other. That's a beautiful thing.

I gotta say I agree with what MDP2525 has to say. I started writing up a response and it was almost all a rewrite of what is already there.

I definitely value my friendships, but I'm not sure I'm good at maintaining them. I guess it depends on the scenario. I try to keep them happy and be there for them, but at the same time I get bored with people and sometimes they change for the worse. Most of the time I think I get bored with people and move on.

Another thing I really appreciate is feedback. Positive feedback is usually easy enough to give and receive. I'm really looking for a little bit of negative feedback if there is any. Someone has to tell the emperor he's not wearing any clothes. How can I make myself better? How can we be better friends? What about me bothers you? I'm not going to randomly pick up on signals or hints. I don't play that game with people and I certainly shouldn't be expected to play along with others just 'cause they play it. I guess that ties in with honesty.

I've also dated both and lemme tell ya, T ftw.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Quiet, contained, and assertive. I wouldn't say she's shy at all, from detached observation or from what I've known of her. She's polite to strangers, but otherwise treats everyone equally. The IXFX types flock around her like moths to a flame, basking in her "aura of self-confidence" and sing her praises from a safe distance. We haven't been going out for that long - nearly three months - but I can't help but wonder what it is they find so amazing about her. She doesn't do anything; maybe it's just the way she carries herself. I dunno. She jokes about it "boosting her already inflated ego", but it makes her a little uncomfortable, I think.

what they tend to value

Space, space and more space. Shared interests are also a bonus. A partner who isn't sensitive so they can use your ego as a scratching post. :D Kidding. But if you don't like being teased, then you may have a bit of trouble. Luckily I'm the one who pwns her at banter:

ISTP: Well send [Housemate] my condolences
ISTP says: Your mom broke him
INTP says: Is that so?
ISTP says: Broke him like a bronco
ISTP says: Yeeeehaw
INTP says: she couldn't be with him last night
INTP says: Because I was.
ISTP says: Spoil sport......WHAT.
ISTP says: [housemate], I THOUGHT WE HAD A DEAL
INTP says: OH HE TOLD ME ALL ABOUT YOU
ISTP says: NOOOOO
INTP says: Apparently he's been with a lot better.
ISTP says: D:
INTP says: I think his exact words were "barely average".
ISTP says: DDD:
ISTP says: DDDDDD:
ISTP says: T.T
INTP says: At least that's what I thought he said. He had his mouth full.
ISTP hangs self
ISTP says: M-m-maybe you misheard?
INTP says: Dead people don't talk.

This is how we usually begin a conversation. Always with the "yo mamma" jokes. Tsk. When will she learn? Never challenge an INTP to a game of banter. You will always lose. :rolleyes:

how they are perceived in a relationship. So female ISTPs (or people who have dated them)

Offline, she acts like a friend. We chill out, go watch a movie or eat icecream. Which is cool. She'll have her once-in-a-blue-moon snuggly moments. But otherwise, you would think we were a couple of friends hanging out.

When we talk online, which is a lot more common (See: IXTP need for space), well, see above. While we chat on Skype, she's sending me links that Imustclicknowomgsocool. I'm a little more affectionate, verbally:

INTP: <3 Missed you~
ISTP: How was your day?

I remember within the first week of going out, she said to me through an email, "I just thought I'd let you know that I'm head over heels for you". Which made me doubt her type, if I'm honest. Either that, or I witnessed a burst of inferior Fe.

She likes to draw. She sent me an email on Christmas morning, with an adorable picture of an echidna. A note saying, "I thought of you and doodled". She knows echidnas are my favourite animal. Sweetest thing ever. :wubbie:

what types do you usually go for, are you more attracted to thinkers or feelers, do you like to be in charge, what are common positives / negatives you tend to encounter in relationships, etc, etc, etc.

She comes across as "passively dominant", if that makes sense. There is no real power-playing in the relationship, but she likes to call the shots in terms of communication - she initiates and I respond. I like this system because that way I know for sure that she wants to spend time with me, plus I'm happy enough to do my own thing. The odd hello is enough for me, really. I have my own distractions and so does she. I think that's why it works.

---

Content may not apply, as we're both young (eighteen).

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
They're like most other sensor women: "Spend money on me or i won't feel loved."

c'mon, tell me I'm wrong! fight me!

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
They're like most other sensor women: "Spend money on me or i won't feel loved."

c'mon, tell me I'm wrong! fight me!

I don't expect people to spend money on me. Time? Yes. Money? Not so much. If you can find a way to have cheap awesome adventures, I'm all for it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another thing I really appreciate is feedback. Positive feedback is usually easy enough to give and receive. I'm really looking for a little bit of negative feedback if there is any. Someone has to tell the emperor he's not wearing any clothes. How can I make myself better? How can we be better friends? What about me bothers you? I'm not going to randomly pick up on signals or hints.

Absolutely!

The IXFX types flock around her like moths to a flame.

NF's in general seem to flock to us. :cool:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Keep me updated...

I do have a strange attraction to ISTP women... :drool:

lilikoi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6?

what they tend to value

Second everything you said. It is as though I wrote it myself.

I don't think I could ever be in a serious relationship with an F.

I need to be with someone that is adventurous and curious. Likes new experiences and doing outdoorsy things. Definitely NOT conservative. Otherwise I get bored.

lilikoi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6?

Quiet, contained, and assertive. I wouldn't say she's shy at all, from detached observation or from what I've known of her. She's polite to strangers, but otherwise treats everyone equally. The IXFX types flock around her like moths to a flame, basking in her "aura of self-confidence" and sing her praises from a safe distance. We haven't been going out for that long - nearly three months - but I can't help but wonder what it is they find so amazing about her. She doesn't do anything; maybe it's just the way she carries herself. I dunno. She jokes about it "boosting her already inflated ego", but it makes her a little uncomfortable, I think.

what they tend to value

Space, space and more space. Shared interests are also a bonus. A partner who isn't sensitive so they can use your ego as a scratching post. :D Kidding. But if you don't like being teased, then you may have a bit of trouble. Luckily I'm the one who pwns her at banter:

ISTP: Well send [Housemate] my condolences
ISTP says: Your mom broke him
INTP says: Is that so?
ISTP says: Broke him like a bronco
ISTP says: Yeeeehaw
INTP says: she couldn't be with him last night
INTP says: Because I was.
ISTP says: Spoil sport......WHAT.
ISTP says: [housemate], I THOUGHT WE HAD A DEAL
INTP says: OH HE TOLD ME ALL ABOUT YOU
ISTP says: NOOOOO
INTP says: Apparently he's been with a lot better.
ISTP says: D:
INTP says: I think his exact words were "barely average".
ISTP says: DDD:
ISTP says: DDDDDD:
ISTP says: T.T
INTP says: At least that's what I thought he said. He had his mouth full.
ISTP hangs self
ISTP says: M-m-maybe you misheard?
INTP says: Dead people don't talk.

This is how we usually begin a conversation. Always with the "yo mamma" jokes. Tsk. When will she learn? Never challenge an INTP to a game of banter. You will always lose. :rolleyes:

how they are perceived in a relationship. So female ISTPs (or people who have dated them)

Offline, she acts like a friend. We chill out, go watch a movie or eat icecream. Which is cool. She'll have her once-in-a-blue-moon snuggly moments. But otherwise, you would think we were a couple of friends hanging out.

When we talk online, which is a lot more common (See: IXTP need for space), well, see above. While we chat on Skype, she's sending me links that Imustclicknowomgsocool. I'm a little more affectionate, verbally:

INTP: <3 Missed you~
ISTP: How was your day?

I remember within the first week of going out, she said to me through an email, "I just thought I'd let you know that I'm head over heels for you". Which made me doubt her type, if I'm honest. Either that, or I witnessed a burst of inferior Fe.

She likes to draw. She sent me an email on Christmas morning, with an adorable picture of an echidna. A note saying, "I thought of you and doodled". She knows echidnas are my favourite animal. Sweetest thing ever. :wubbie:

what types do you usually go for, are you more attracted to thinkers or feelers, do you like to be in charge, what are common positives / negatives you tend to encounter in relationships, etc, etc, etc.

She comes across as "passively dominant", if that makes sense. There is no real power-playing in the relationship, but she likes to call the shots in terms of communication - she initiates and I respond. I like this system because that way I know for sure that she wants to spend time with me, plus I'm happy enough to do my own thing. The odd hello is enough for me, really. I have my own distractions and so does she. I think that's why it works.

---

Content may not apply, as we're both young (eighteen).
Yep, second uses partner's ego as scratching post. I never really understood WHY I needed to do this, but I definitely do.

Also second sending links. This is how I keep in touch w/ some of my friends! W/ some we literally send each other links back and forth and that is it until we meet up in person to partake in a shared hobby.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Okay, I have a question.

ITP types are known for their objective thinking, right? So if I were to rant about someone/something to my ISTP, naturally, she would offer another perspective on the matter? Just to be objective? Whereas an ISFP would be all-out supportive, emphasizing my needs and how dare the other person be so rude? Well, my ISTP is more the latter. She always takes my side, never seeming to weigh up the information objectively. Unless TiSe is less into evalutation than TiNe? Would ISTPs offer support to their partner, regardless?

It's just that even when I try to be supportive, I always end up trying to justify the people she defers to me about. I'm not a very good bitching-buddy. I'm just confused about her type, basically.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I think this could be more about how much you value loyalty to your friends. From my experience, ISFPs lend some emotional support (certainly never say a word against you -- they mostly just listen & agree), but ENTJs are hands-down the best if you want 'fight-to-the-death' allegiance (and words that pulverize the other side).

I like that my ISTP boyfriend always takes my side first (I think he gives me the benefit of the doubt), but it's more along the lines of listening and agreeing/attempting to understand. If he happens to see the other point of view, he's cautious about how he puts it... it's always in such a way that I can see what he means too, usually shedding new light on the matter for me. This is when he's being serious (as in the topic is quite serious to me). He usually is not serious though, because he frequently plays devil's advocate just to rile me up for fun.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:devil: I rile a certain co-worker up for fun.

Pushin' buttons feelz' good! :nice:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another thing I really appreciate is feedback. Positive feedback is usually easy enough to give and receive. I'm really looking for a little bit of negative feedback if there is any. Someone has to tell the emperor he's not wearing any clothes. How can I make myself better? How can we be better friends? What about me bothers you? I'm not going to randomly pick up on signals or hints. I don't play that game with people and I certainly shouldn't be expected to play along with others just 'cause they play it. I guess that ties in with honesty.

I've also dated both and lemme tell ya, T ftw.

Judging from this, ISTP women are probably pretty awesome in relationships.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha! The feeling's mutual! You guys are good at keeping people on their toes! ;)

You're INFP and you like it when people rile you up for fun?

I'll PM you my name, address and phone number. It is imperative that we meet.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
You're INFP and you like it when people rile you up for fun?

I'll PM you my name, address and phone number. It is imperative that we meet.

INFPs are earnest, romantic, take themselves mostly seriously, intense, value and feeling-driven (and wish to unburden themselves of this from time to time)... to me it seems these are qualities that can easily attract a roguish mischief-maker intent on setting some fireworks that (temporarily) turn the world upside-down.

And one devil's spawn is enough for me right now, thanks! ;)

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree 99.9999% with everything that's been said. Especially:

I've been with both and I definitely prefer a T in relationships. They aren't offended or made insecure by my bluntness. They even play off it. I love that. It's necessary that I can say what I think the way I want to say it and not have to translate it to be more palatable to the listener....
I don't like to be in charge yet I will not be controlled. :coffee:

I need to be with someone that is adventurous and curious. Likes new experiences and doing outdoorsy things. Definitely NOT conservative. Otherwise I get bored.

Space, space and more space. Shared interests are also a bonus. A partner who isn't sensitive so they can use your ego as a scratching post. :D Kidding. But if you don't like being teased, then you may have a bit of trouble. ...When will she learn? Never challenge an INTP to a game of banter. You will always lose. :rolleyes:
I can guarantee you she thinks you're the one that always loses :D Or that's how it was for me when I dated an INTP.

She'll have her once-in-a-blue-moon snuggly moments. ...She likes to draw. She sent me an email on Christmas morning, with an adorable picture of an echidna. A note saying, "I thought of you and doodled".
I'm surprisingly affectionate with people I care about AND feel comfortable with. I'll draw for extra special people. And I've had a track record of saying the "L word" first.... at least with Thinkers. I suspect this is because Thinkers have the rational fear that I'll freak and run away if they say it first. And I actually prefer saying it first. If I do say I love you, I'm confident in how I feel about you and know you return my feelings. So I don't feel vulnerable. This is similar with the cuddly thing. If I don't feel vulnerable and am confident you feel the same affection for me, I may step outside my comfort zone and be more cuddly.

To expand on the OP's questions... I value someone that helps me grow and introduces me to new ideas/concepts/interests that appeal to me. Someone I can have intelligent conversations with about things that interest me is a must. I value someone that respects my discomfort for "feelings" and encourage me or back off when necessary. I like it when people anticipate my needs, but I also like it when they verify it with me anyways. I need a good mixture of patience, easy-going, lowkey, understanding, confident, good at making decisions, and outgoing. So whatever type that is. I have a strong disgust for extreme arrogance though.

Oh, and past boyfriends usually view me as an enigma. They liked that I was rational, spontaneous and easy going. They disliked when I dug my heels in on something and became a little too insensitive (Oppositional Te). Many complaints about my critical parent function, Si, too (i.e.: "You did that wrong." or "Mannn... you really f*cked that one up." :tongue:)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I have a question.

ITP types are known for their objective thinking, right? So if I were to rant about someone/something to my ISTP, naturally, she would offer another perspective on the matter? Just to be objective? Whereas an ISFP would be all-out supportive, emphasizing my needs and how dare the other person be so rude? Well, my ISTP is more the latter. She always takes my side, never seeming to weigh up the information objectively. Unless TiSe is less into evalutation than TiNe? Would ISTPs offer support to their partner, regardless?

It's just that even when I try to be supportive, I always end up trying to justify the people she defers to me about. I'm not a very good bitching-buddy. I'm just confused about her type, basically.

I dont offer things just to be objective when it comes to people, if you make sense then I will be supportive. With people I am not always objective in the manner you described, give me something like a political topic, speech, seminar, etc and my objectivity will come out. I will become very objective and work to debunk every little assumption that had to be made to reach a conclusion. They are trying to convince people of things and they will provide as much information as possible in support of what they say that I just have this urge to drop the "drama" that it creates several notches.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I imagine they're pretty cool. Just invest in a sturdy bed and avoid combustibles.