User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I think trading works, in that it involves a "system" and the ability to spot something and anticipate cause and effect.

i.e. In March of 2003 I anticipated a housing bubble
    In 2001 I anticipated stagnant wages for a decade.
    In May of 2006 I anticipated the financial crisis

Just spotting items in news stories and having the ISTP internal magician pull outcomes together without any applied thought.

Reasoning for stagnant wages was pretty simple. Increased immigration in conjunction with manufacturing, technical and customer services roles being outsourced in mass. If one isn't making something you can't really create wealth.

Reasoning for the housing bubble, changes in lending standards in conjunction with CDS driving a loosening of standards.

Reasoning for anticipating the financial crisis. The Federal Reserve stopped publishing M3, and other related data that indicated the short term lending facility balance sheets weren't "pretty."

Rather simplistic and "gut" responses however later shown to be "spot on."

So yes, I think an ISTP could be good at trading.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Almost forgot, back in February 2009 I predicted the Dow would recover to 9000 by June.

Posted that prediction and would give a forecast daily on what the market would do each day for that entire period. I was only wrong once, and the root cause of that was someone in the SF Fed office making offhand comments about inflation which trimmed about 100 points off.

After making those daily predictions for a period of four months, I got rather bored with it and said fooey! Time for something else.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Thanks for the awesome feedback, sLiPpY!
    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    After making those daily predictions for a period of four months, I got rather bored with it and said fooey! Time for something else.
    This is probably the only thing I'm really worried about
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think trading works, in that it involves a "system" and the ability to spot something and anticipate cause and effect.

i.e. In March of 2003 I anticipated a housing bubble
    In 2001 I anticipated stagnant wages for a decade.
    In May of 2006 I anticipated the financial crisis

Just spotting items in news stories and having the ISTP internal magician pull outcomes together without any applied thought.

Reasoning for stagnant wages was pretty simple. Increased immigration in conjunction with manufacturing, technical and customer services roles being outsourced in mass. If one isn't making something you can't really create wealth.

Reasoning for the housing bubble, changes in lending standards in conjunction with CDS driving a loosening of standards.

Reasoning for anticipating the financial crisis. The Federal Reserve stopped publishing M3, and other related data that indicated the short term lending facility balance sheets weren't "pretty."

Rather simplistic and "gut" responses however later shown to be "spot on."

So yes, I think an ISTP could be good at trading.
    This is all pretty impressive. I didn't know what was coming with the housing bubble until 2005. We lived in one of the most exuberant, frothy real estate areas, and I noticed how incredibly arrogant everyone was getting at that point. We refinanced our existing mortgage balance when the rates dropped (AND DID NOT TAKE OUT ANY HOME EQUITY). The mortgage co. sent an appraiser out to appraise our house as part of the process. He rang the doorbell, collected a check, and didn't look at the house at all! People were renovating their houses right and left (gotta have that new kitchen with granite countertops, travertine tile everywhere, etc..). All of the associated businesses like Home Depot, Lowes, furniture companies, businesses selling tile, carpeting, etc.. were booming, and more and more illegal immigrants were coming to the city. One hot day, I was thirsty and stopped off at a McDonalds in a part of the city I didn't usually go to. Everyone in the entire place, including employees, was speaking Spanish. I was like, "Dammit, if I have to speak Spanish to order a soda here I'm going to be really pissed... this isn't Mexico!" They understood English, though, so it was all good.
    Overall, it was clear to me (but not to many others, apparently) that a huge chunk of the economy was being driven by real estate, and this was an unsustainable situation.

Do you have any observations about our current economy that you would like to share?

Edit: Please forgive the rant.

MBTI
    STP

Almost forgot, back in February 2009 I predicted the Dow would recover to 9000 by June.

Posted that prediction and would give a forecast daily on what the market would do each day for that entire period. I was only wrong once, and the root cause of that was someone in the SF Fed office making offhand comments about inflation which trimmed about 100 points off.

You should hook up with antisocial-one for some retirement planning advice service.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Well, as to current economy we're not out of the woods yet. I think foreclosures for residential and commercial properties will continue...finally peaking later in the year.

There's a distinct possibility of a double dip recession. GDP growth has primarily been driven by government stimulus, and temporary inventory cycles.

Credit is still pretty dry for smaller businesses, so more difficult for them to expand and grow. Which reminds me I stopped looking at the data, in that it's too depressing...

Sunshine on the horizon? Have to make our own. Projected job recovery date, 2015. I hope I'm wrong.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Anyhow who is to say that ISTP need to have specialized career interest's. Their penchant for reason, is enough to make them suitable for 90% of the world's professions, ranging from professor to professional dancer, or a marine or sports nut. The more they are liable to actively search for knowledge and learning, the more eligible they become. Just a generalization, ISTP's probably have the most versatile career choices of all type's.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Nice thoughts ColonelGadaafi, and I don't intend the statement to be type centric...but most of the ISTP's I've met I've thought could do anything.

Which is exactly what the problem is, setting one's mind to something and fully committing. Too many choices aren't always such a good thing.

But then again, life tends to unfold as it chooses.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    You should hook up with antisocial-one for some retirement planning advice service.
    ... or perhaps send out a twice per year newsletter by e-mail with general thoughts about things? I would subscribe!

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    Anyhow who is to say that ISTP need to have specialized career interest's. Their penchant for reason, is enough to make them suitable for 90% of the world's professions, ranging from professor to professional dancer, or a marine or sports nut. The more they are liable to actively search for knowledge and learning, the more eligible they become. Just a generalization, ISTP's probably have the most versatile career choices of all type's.
    I agree with you. My ISTP husband is brilliant and can do anything he puts his mind to. I think people in general just don't realize how amazing ISTPS are.

Enneagram
    9w8

Transportation Operator
    •Dental Hygienist
    •Construction, Warehouse, Groundskeeper
    Mechanic
    •Legal Secretary
    •Cleaning Service Worker
    •Surveyor
    •Corrections Officer
    •Carpenter
    •Construction Worker
    •Steelworker
    •Cook
    •Small Business Manager
    •Physician: Pathology
    •Mechanical Engineer
    •Craft Worker
    •Computer Programmer
    •Law Enforcement
    •Lawyer
    Engineering
    I'm honestly surprised "Pilot" was not a category considering the hands-on aspect combined with its necessary technical proficiency. I've wanted to be a pilot since I was... in the single digits for age, and actually discarded structural engineering as a major (after being in it for long enough to experience the lifestyle). My mind was certainly up to the mental acrobatics required for the task, but I could not stand to work in an office environment for the long run; the mere idea of it disturbs and bores me because I would not see the results of my labor (as touched on by two others), and wouldn't get to use my hands, mind and body as one. The disconnect I see with so many between their minds and bodies only strengthens my resolve to keep mine in tune and active.

I'm in languages as a major because I love knowledge that blends seamlessly into everyday life, and which one can actually use on a regular basis - the ability to communicate is never useless, and is reflected in so many other facets of life. I'm on track to become a helicopter pilot, and will learn to pilot planes as well once I have the funds.

As for mechanicking - I love figuring out how to fix things on my own, and wish to learn how to do major repairs on my own motorcycle, as well.