• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Do ISTPs with well developed Ni and Fe start acting like xNFJs?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ISTP can use Fe very well in response to stress, as long as the stress involves other people, particularly people he cares about, as long as he doesn't feel directly angry or agitated for himself. His Fe can really suck, but like if you mess with his mommy or someone he cares about, he'll be there to jump over the fence and beat your ass in about two seconds. Of course that also involves Se. A more particular "NFJ-ish" example would be when he goes into "counselor" mode, and is totally chill while other people are freaking out, and he explains why everyone else should calm down, and what might produce a win-win situation.

Generally, our "counselor" mode is practical in nature. It's not Fe at all. We do that to circumvent emotional displays. Let's solve this issue so the problem disappears and things can get back to normal. Emotional energy is a time waster as far as proactive approaches go so we tend to look past that if it's the only approach we see being used.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Generally, our "counselor" mode is practical in nature. It's not Fe at all. We do that to circumvent emotional displays. Let's solve this issue so the problem disappears and things can get back to normal. Emotional energy is a time waster as far as proactive approaches go so we tend to look past that if it's the only approach we see being used.

Yes. This is what I've seen from ISTPs as well.

KDude

I changed back to ISTP because you made me think about it lol.

I thought you had strong Ni inclinations btw. Or maybe you read a lot of stuff sparking it? I don't mean any offense, but I don't have a clue what you're talking about sometimes.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I changed back to ISTP because you made me think about it lol.

Thank you. :D

I thought you had strong Ni inclinations btw. Or maybe you read a lot of stuff sparking it? I don't mean any offense, but I don't have a clue what you're talking about sometimes.

I don't either but I've experienced that with a couple of other ISTPs sometimes.

KDude

I don't either but I've experienced that with a couple of other ISTPs sometimes.

I guess I used to think strangely when I used certain drugs, but that's been years since. Whenever I encounter intense use of symbols and conspiratorial thinking now, I'm like.. "Oookay. Gotta go!". It's disturbs me, even if seen in others. Like I want to get to the nearest mundane, realistic place and just let that surround me instead. It gives me peace. The other stuff may very well be an SP type of Ni (rather than dominant), but I'm not sure.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yeah, makes sense. Emotional drama really seems to drain him, and he likes to say things like "come on now use your head, if you do xyz then YOU actually look better!" and I thought that was lower-level Fe the way TPs tend to use it, especially early in life, in a more practical or manipulative way.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, makes sense. Emotional drama really seems to drain him, and he likes to say things like "come on now use your head, if you do xyz then YOU actually look better!" and I thought that was lower-level Fe the way TPs tend to use it, especially early in life, in a more practical or manipulative way.

I thought the manipulative types were the NTJs.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought the manipulative types were the NTJs.

Have you ever met an ExTP?

NTJs don't have enough Fe to be truly manipulative, not in the warm, "gosh I'm so sweet and cute" way that TPs can sometimes pull off. Like "aww shucks, what me worry?"

Two words: Simulated World.

One more word: entropie.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In fact I'll honestly say I'm still not closed off to the possibility that the person I'm talking about is actully a reserved ESTP by Jungian function order, because I swear I've had incidents with him where I felt like he was rejecting his N function, and his own mother talks about how manipulative he can be, and how he was possessive of her, even as a little boy like "my mommy" and he did this cute thing where he said he was going to carry her in his pocket.

It's very difficult to type other people sometimes. I've had ISTPs say he sounds ISTP, but I haven't ruled out ESTP 100%.

KDude

In fact I'll honestly say I'm still not closed off to the possibility that the person I'm talking about is actully a reserved ESTP by Jungian function order, because I swear I've had incidents with him where I felt like he was rejecting his N function, and his own mother talks about how manipulative he can be, and how he was possessive of her, even as a little boy like "my mommy" and he did this cute thing where he said he was going to carry her in his pocket.

Yeah, it's hard to say sometimes. ITPs aren't devoid of emotions though. Or incapable of being close to their moms. :laugh:

I don't even want to talk about it though. A part of me wants to give my own perspective, but it's not a good idea. I'd probably say more if we weren't on the net. I'd prefer saying things where I can see people. Just in case they troll or "retype" me INFP for talking about emotions, I could knock the shit out of them. Unfortunately, it's impossible here.

Anyways, just settle on STP for him.

KDude

lmao.. that kind of sounded directed at you, marm. didn't mean it that way. i just meant that people around here like to retype. sometimes i don't even know who they are.

what i've learned is that forums aren't a good place to talk about these things.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess I used to think strangely when I used certain drugs, but that's been years since. Whenever I encounter intense use of symbols and conspiratorial thinking now, I'm like.. "Oookay. Gotta go!". It's disturbs me, even if seen in others. Like I want to get to the nearest mundane, realistic place and just let that surround me instead. It gives me peace. The other stuff may very well be an SP type of Ni (rather than dominant), but I'm not sure.

Hilarious. :D

This reminds me of this thread I made.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
My SO is an ISTP with very well developed Ni and Fe. (Of course he's in his early 40s and has had a lot of practice using these functions.) I wouldn't say that he ever acts like an INFJ. But I would say that he has come to strongly demonstrate his Ni which is one of the reasons I love him. (I love me some yummy Ni.)

I like to say that there is a big difference between a right-handed person and a left-handed person who has learned to write right-handedly. Well the same goes for cognitive functions. My ISTP's Ni is fabulous, but he will never ever exhibit the dominant Ni that we see in INFJs.

That being said, I think that ISTPs and INFJs do have a lot in common. The MBTI letters might be very different, but take a look at the JCF's for these two types.

INFJ = Ni>Fe>Ti>Se
ISTP= Ti>Se>Ni>Fe​

You'll notice that these two types have the same top four cognitive functions, just in a different order. I think INFJs and ISTPs make great friends. Evidence to support this is that my ISTPs lifelong best friend is an INFJ.

KDude

I'm a lefty who plays guitar right handed.

But not writing.. just can't get that one down at all.

Wait, this is about something else, right? ;)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kinda the same as cross-dominant handedness not being precisely the same as ambidextrous.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My SO is an ISTP with very well developed Ni and Fe. (Of course he's in his early 40s and has had a lot of practice using these functions.) I wouldn't say that he ever acts like an INFJ. But I would say that he has come to strongly demonstrate his Ni which is one of the reasons I love him. (I love me some yummy Ni.)

I like to say that there is a big difference between a right-handed person and a left-handed person who has learned to write right-handedly. Well the same goes for cognitive functions. My ISTP's Ni is fabulous, but he will never ever exhibit the dominant Ni that we see in INFJs.

That being said, I think that ISTPs and INFJs do have a lot in common. The MBTI letters might be very different, but take a look at the JCF's for these two types.

INFJ = Ni>Fe>Ti>Se
ISTP= Ti>Se>Ni>Fe​

You'll notice that these two types have the same top four cognitive functions, just in a different order. I think INFJs and ISTPs make great friends. Evidence to support this is that my ISTPs lifelong best friend is an INFJ.

I can see this, though I don't have any INFJ friends. I do typically respect/admire any INFJ I come across. With one exception... one of my best friends in college started dating an INFJ much younger than him. She was in a super intellectually snobby phase in her life, and I found her pretty annoying at first-- she even went so far as to try to parent me when I got tipsy one night and a little silly (I started wrestling with one of our guy friends). One of the easiest ways to make an SP dislike you is to try to parent them when you don't really know them :dry:. He actually got married to her last year, but by that point, she had grown up and matured a lot. I came to really respect and like her... even though I think she still may see me as silly and childish.

KDude

Just like David Byrne. :)

Didn't know that. For me, it was an accident. The guy who taught me showed me a couple of chords and sold me a crappy guitar. And I just struggled with playing it as it was given (right handed). By the time I knew better, it was too late.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

INFJ = Ni>Fe>Ti>Se
ISTP= Ti>Se>Ni>Fe​

The older I get the more I relate to INFJ and INFP. Its strange. I dated an INFJ but we were in different places in our lives at the time. Ended up fizzling out and he ended up with my ENFP co-worker for a year. They broke up, and just last week we ended up in the same bar (mutual friends).
Funny, we still have the same easy way about ourselves and chemistry. He came home with me. It may not have been a deep passion of his ENFP relationship, but we have our own undrstanding. It doesnt need words. Its real comfortable. I know I can be myself with him without judgment. Vice versa. Prolly arent relationship material but I dont think that defines significance.