• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Do xSTPs are the rarest sensors?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, there's various differents statistics about frequency of each type among the population. According to some stats, xSTPs are the rarest sensors, ISTPs representing 5,4% of american peoples and ESTPs 4,3%. There's dramatics differences between males and females ISTPs. With 8,5% of the men, ISTP would be the third most frequent type among americans male population, females ISTPs at the contrary, would be very rares, just 2,4% of american women. Males ESTPs would'nt be rares, but not especially currents though, 5,6% of the male american population, not more, females ESTPs her, would be quite rares representing just 3% of americans females.

There's also Keirsey's statistics telling ISTPs represents 10% of the population and ESTPs 13%, and so, 1/4 american would be xSTPs... What can I say? I'm very doubtful about this! I can't believe xSTPs are so currents, the hypothesis that they would be quite rares is largely more credible. What do you think about?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Your idea seems about right, as far as I can tell.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
I don't think us STPs are common at all. I've only met one other ISTP and it was like "wholly shit this guy is exactly like me" so I doubt I've met any more. No way Kiersey is right. I'd say closer to 5% overall ISTPs and the same for the E's.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESTPs are common, ISTPs are rare... that's what I've heard from whatever statistics I read up, and also seems to hold irl.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTPs are common, ISTPs are rare... that's what I've heard from whatever statistics I read up, and also seems to hold irl.

There's no way to tell. I can tell you that I've only met two people in my life who are anywhere near me in personality, both long time friends of mine. One is ESFP the other is ESTP. We are all big, smart, funny, wild, a little unconventional, yet productive and well intended people.

If there are alot of folks who test ESTP, then there is a shitload of variation in ESTPs, because when me or my two buddies are around, everybody knows it. We will be noticed, it's what we do: Find things that are going on, then get inthe middle of them and put our twist on it. Done! Next! :laugh:

I've also heard that INFJs are supposedly 1% of the population. I can't see this as true. There are like 6,000,000 INFJs on this site. :doh:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've also heard that INFJs are supposedly 1% of the population. I can't see this as true. There are like 6,000,000 INFJs on this site. :doh:

That's because all of the INFJs in the world are on this site.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I think it's just because we are designed not to be noticed. :ninja:

Yeah, I don't see how anyone would know I existed if I didn't forcefully try to put myself out there.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
There are heaps of them here.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't think they are too rare...It's hard to believe these population %s, they vary widely from source to source. I know several xSTPs, all of which are Introverts. half of which are female. Maybe I just struck a stp goldmine or something

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
^where you know them from? Random friends, or a class, or a job, or what?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

1) A huge amount of INFJs are interested in personality theories
2) Most of the people here are mistyped ISFJs

... I think.

I'd really like to know more ISTPs, they're awesome! :yes:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^where you know them from? Random friends, or a class, or a job, or what?

good friend from school, girlfriend of said istp friend from school (now girlfriend of enfp friend :shock: who is no longer friends with good friend from school), past crush of mine, two from job (who good friend of school works at too), other is girl who started working last year. two other friends of mine from high school are ISTPs...although one is a bit of a dick unless you get to know him. We don't really talk very much but I ran into him a few times this semester.

I could probably add to the list but I don't want to think that hard right now

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) A huge amount of INFJs are interested in personality theories
2) Most of the people here are mistyped ISFJs

3) They aren't as rare and shpecial as they'd like to think ;)

I've met many, many ESTPs. Of course, extroverts tend to be more "visible", but I don't think they are in danger of going extinct. ISTPs are more unusual to come across, but I've met a few of those also, both male and female. There's a certain kind I'd like to encounter more often :newwink: .

I'd say that of all the SPs, ESFPs seem the most "common" and I come across them all over the place. I know a ton of ISFPs, but being into art/design tends to draw other artsy fartsy types to you.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
haha, nice, Halla.

I want to feel like I'm a part of a rare type, but I dunno. I think that for sure, SJs outnumber SPs, and thus we are more of a rare temperament, but still have many in our number. And alot of us are tough-minded for sure (thinkers). So, I dunno. You have to keep in mind though, Keirsey basically theorizes about how many there are of each type out there, admittedly so. So he could be a little off. I know that his son (DMK) at least doesn't really put that much stock in the KTS results because taking a sorter isn't always that accurate.

I've noticed ESTPs here and there around me. Not all of us are so vivacious that we're "larger-than-life" probably because of the influence of other types and the forcefulness of Pygmalian Projects (which basically means people forcing you to be more like them *coughGuardianscough*). The reason I think they must be ESTPs is because they're very tough-minded, aware of their environment, have a wacky sense of humor and alot of energy and they fit alot of the description. Yes, they do stand out, and people often defer to them, they're usually at the forefront of the minds of others. For instance, "Where is that dude? It's not the same without him around." I know that was said alot about me. Sometimes they're seen as sleazy, though, or way too sneaky, and thus become unpopular.

But those who are true to the ESTP type, who don't let others change them too much, and have alot of character (not just in the sense of morality, but an all-encompassing sense, including having a fresh take on life) really, really stand out and seem to truly encompass what it means to be an ESTP.

Take the characters in my signature, for instance. Those characters stand out in our minds as being truly unique and vivacious and larger than life. That's what it means to be an ESTP, and yes, in that sense we are a rare breed indeed. :rock:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, ISTPs are awesome! :yes: Don't forget to give their extroverted cousins some credit, they're cool too. :whistling: <shameless self promotion>

Most ESTPs are also very decent and enjoyable fellows :yes:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

This is what it seems to be in real life for me too. Based on who I've interacted with in my life, it seems that ESTPs are more common than ISTPs. But both are not that common imo.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not saying that xSTPs are particulary rares, they still more common than the most part of the N types, but that they're the rarest sensors. It could explain in part why S is usually associated with conformism and difficulty with theory, xSTPs are the contrary, but we're the rarest, so...

By the way, males STPs are'nt rares, it's above all females STPs who are. I have a good appreciation for the idea that ISTP is the third most common type among american males, behind xSTJs. Various iconic actors and directors like Clint Eastwood, Mel Gibson, Sylvester Stallone, etc, have built a popular image in the worldwide where the ISTP type is match with a stereotype of the american man. I think ISTPs are more many than ESTPs, we're just more discrets.