• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Ask an SP, get a practical answer

lamp

Are SFPs practical? My initial thought was that Fi is too 'spacey', for lack of a better word, but I realize that Se is eminently practical. And now I realize that I misread 'practical' for logical/rational, not to say that practical is illogical. Anyways.

Now I will try and be relevant.
1. (raw) Should I race in the local race series this winter (mountain bikes, downhill racing)? Racing means I get to pay race fees, as well as deal with logistics (spending the weekend camping and drinking shitty beer versus staying at home and riding locally + drinking nicer beer).

or

(refined) Do I be a hermit and sit at home and be a good student, putting race fees towards shiny new bike parts that I WILL need at some point and spending time with old + good friends?

2. (raw) Should I take a photography class next semester (versus some simpler sociology or philosophy class)? Photo is really interesting + fun but very time consuming and can REALLY space me out, at a time when I will be struggling with multivariable calculus and physics.

or

(refined) take cinema 100, or some other and more normal class that will not require me to spend several hours a week waiting around for silver halide crystals to tell me how well my perceptions and judgments have worked out. Write papers instead of create portfolios.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
1. (raw) Should I race in the local race series this winter (mountain bikes, downhill racing)? Racing means I get to pay race fees, as well as deal with logistics (spending the weekend camping and drinking shitty beer versus staying at home and riding locally + drinking nicer beer).

or

(refined) Do I be a hermit and sit at home and be a good student, putting race fees towards shiny new bike parts that I WILL need at some point and spending time with old + good friends?

Adventure > Practicality

Sorry, SFPs... or whomever

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are SFPs practical? My initial thought was that Fi is too 'spacey', for lack of a better word, but I realize that Se is eminently practical. And now I realize that I misread 'practical' for logical/rational, not to say that practical is illogical. Anyways.

or

2. (raw) Should I take a photography class next semester (versus some simpler sociology or philosophy class)? Photo is really interesting + fun but very time consuming and can REALLY space me out, at a time when I will be struggling with multivariable calculus and physics.

or

(refined) take cinema 100, or some other and more normal class that will not require me to spend several hours a week waiting around for silver halide crystals to tell me how well my perceptions and judgments have worked out. Write papers instead of create portfolios.

Balance.
Race (raw) but take cinema 100 (refined).

Rationale:

1) Racing because it'll make you a better rider. Competition always pushes a person past their limits and brings the best out of them. 2) Either way, you're drinking beer. No loss there. 3) Memories with friends camping will always be great to look back on. 4) Needing bike parts is inevitable.

Taking Photography might be interesting but it also would endanger your concentration with calculus and physics and be a distraction. Take it when you have an easier class load.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Should I show up in costume to school tommorow?

I missed the "dress up as a holiday character" day because I was sickly.

'Should' you still participate? If it counts toward any grade, at least bring the costume with you. Otherwise . . the party's over and you missed it. These things happen.

'Could' you still participate (s-t-r-e-t-c-h the party out a bit and have some fun)? Depends on the tone of your school and the sense of humor of teachers/administration.

How about: Wear the hat, or some small part, pack the rest of the costume in a bag of some kind, and test the waters. If it feels right, put the whole thing on while at school.

At your service.

(BlackCat, this is tons of fun.)

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Should I show up in costume to school tommorow?

I missed the "dress up as a holiday character" day because I was sickly.

Yes. I always advocate dressing up. I vote for dressing up as Dasher or Blitzen. They seem like the cool ones of the bunch.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. I always advocate dressing up. I vote for dressing up as Dasher or Blitzen. They seem like the cool ones of the bunch.

I CANT BELIEVE YOU DISSED VIXEN LIKE THAT

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
I don't need an answer to anything but I sometimes wonder if certain people here don't think i really understand their posts. Quick answer to my own question - theoretically I don't. Of course this is a little problem to which a solution seems impossible to find in most instances. In my own mind, I feel as if "friends" should make it a little bit easier... oh well.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Let's say, hypothetically, a non-SP regularly went to a bookstore to read, and a devastatingly cute blond works at that bookstore. Suppose this non-SP doesn't think the fact that someone is outwardly well-formed constitutes a good reason to initiate an interpersonal interaction. Suppose time passes, and now the non-SP is on a first name basis with several of the employees and cordial relations with the rest, but nary a word passes between the ~SP and the blond; suppose further that a game of "I'm not paying attention to you" has developed between our ~SP and the blond, and this fact agitates the ~SP.

Question: should the ~SP speak to the blond, continue the game, find a new study spot, or what?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's say, hypothetically, a non-SP regularly went to a bookstore to read, and a devastatingly cute blond works at that bookstore. Suppose this non-SP doesn't think the fact that someone is outwardly well-formed constitutes a good reason to initiate an interpersonal interaction. Suppose time passes, and now the non-SP is on a first name basis with several of the employees and cordial relations with the rest, but nary a word passes between the ~SP and the blond; suppose further that a game of "I'm not paying attention to you" has developed between our ~SP and the blond, and this fact agitates the ~SP.

Question: should the ~SP speak to the blond, continue the game, find a new study spot, or what?

Yeah. Say hello.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

I have an idea. Wait until she's the only one at the front and then walk up, acting slightly put off and ask her if they have a certain romantic book (or better yet, a book with a subject she loves) in stock. She can look it up on the database and if they don't have it you can order it. While you're ordering it, (or while she's taking you to the book if they have it) you can start BSing and shooting the breeze with her, relating all kinds of funny anecdotes about what's happened to you and laughing. Before you know it you've broken the ice and disarmed her.

At the end you can tell her she's very helpful, thank you, and look her in the eyes and smile. If it feels right at the moment, you can ask her out, or maybe you can just let that whole event have its effect for next time when you DO. :nice:

It doesn't take much, it just takes being yourself and being human. So many guys trip over themselves trying to be impressive that it's a huge turn-off. Yeah girls like intriguing or exciting aspects of a guy but what they really want is someone solid. The girls who just want the hype aren't really worth it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have an idea. Wait until she's the only one at the front and then walk up, acting slightly put off and ask her if they have a certain romantic book (or better yet, a book with a subject she loves) in stock. She can look it up on the database and if they don't have it you can order it. While you're ordering it, (or while she's taking you to the book if they have it) you can start BSing and shooting the breeze with her, relating all kinds of funny anecdotes about what's happened to you and laughing. Before you know it you've broken the ice and disarmed her.

At the end you can tell her she's very helpful, thank you, and look her in the eyes and smile. If it feels right at the moment, you can ask her out, or maybe you can just let that whole event have its effect for next time when you DO. :nice:

It doesn't take much, it just takes being yourself and being human. So many guys trip over themselves trying to be impressive that it's a huge turn-off. Yeah girls like intriguing or exciting aspects of a guy but what they really want is someone solid. The girls who just want the hype aren't really worth it.

I believe you're giving away ESTP trade secrets here. :eek:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Boy, guys are sure confusing. Clearly her "well-formed"-ness is enough for you to be thinking/ concocting this whole backwards-ness-> aka, it's a good enough reason to approach her! Talking to strangers is not a crime. Everyone's a stranger at some point. Just don't be creepy. (See above "sussing-out" can be creepy.)

P.S. Girls generally know you've been eyeing them.

R

Riva

True.

ISFPs are practical. Which is not so apparent from their 'Hello world, I am lost' like appearance.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yes, and it's annoying because it's hard to joke around with them sometimes..and they just have to punch you with their iron fist of practicality and you're kind of left on a cliff.

Ok, maybe it's just hard for me to joke around with them, because my sense of humor doesn't always involve burning or blowing up things..and they don't always catch my drift.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
What is your best advice to someone who has absolutely no sense of logistics or technical capability whatsoever. And when I say technical, don't get me wrong; I'm talking about pretty much everything that could physically go wrong. It seems like everything I touch with the intent of fixing just ends up worse than if I had left it alone.

And the weird thing is, it isn't getting any better with time and experience..

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This should probably go without saying, but I have many NF relatives and friends, so I say this from a place of love: Read the instructions/manual. Beforehand.

And start small. Small victories are much better at building confidence/skill than large failures. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I have an idea. Wait until she's the only one at the front and then walk up ... you can start BSing and shooting the breeze with her, relating all kinds of funny anecdotes about what's happened to you and laughing. Before you know it you've broken the ice and disarmed her.

If I could do the BSing and story telling, I'd be golden.

That's where I trip up - but it seems so stilted to try and remember beforehand "hey, this would make a good story, I should tell people about it later." I tend to just start talking about the stuff right there. For better or worse.

Or I'd fail to approach. That's the real problem. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, eh? I'm too reliant on what just randomly falls into my lap (figuratively...) and that is ok but not as good as it could be.

I've been kicking myself for fail to approach lately. Lots of cute girls on the metro, sitting right across from or near me, while I'm out with my BMX bike (ideal convo tool, cause it's something I love + admittedly flashy bright color). I usually keep myself occupied on the metro when I have my bike by just pulling out my multitool and start wrenching, checking to make sure everything is tight (it's better than staring into space).

Damn, I'm too shy. I mean I know, know that that one girl, (cute kinda hipster chick) moved from end of the car to mine and sat down right across from me and smiled, and I just smiled and looked away. Fish in barrel material.

:doh:

I suppose I could turn this into a question about approaching people, but I really just need to stop being a giant...kitty cat...and start a conversation for once.

/rant