• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Fellow ISXPs: What's it like for you when you're bummed out?

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Cool.

IMO, a dishwasher is the worst thing an ISTP can buy for his/her kitchen.

Washing dishes becomes performance art and very therapeutic. And much cheaper than paying an F therapist.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's kind of a bummer.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
IMO, a dishwasher is the worst thing an ISTP can buy for his/her kitchen.

Washing dishes becomes performance art and very therapeutic. And much cheaper than paying an F therapist.

i agree, washing dished is very therapeudic, and calming. folding and putting away laundry too.
and i think road trips and driving are also great for raising your spirits, and getting some perspective.

i also like to play guitar if i am bummed out + lethargic.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
i agree, washing dished is very therapeudic, and calming. folding and putting away laundry too.
and i think road trips and driving are also great for raising your spirits, and getting some perspective.

i also like to play guitar if i am bummed out + lethargic.

Interesting, I wonder if that can be universalized.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, I quite like to wash the dishes too. Vacuuming is not bad either. I use to really like mowing the lawns when I was a kid. Driving is also good. Some kind of activity that occupies your body but keeps the mind free I guess. Though this is the first time I've thought of it like that.

But for me when I am really bummed out I have to find some point at which I can change things. I think that is essential for me. Maybe that is why I find those kind of tasks enjoyable, they give me time to think. I call it thinking but it is more like mulling over something.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
My Ni likes to slowly drill into my head until I can find something to shut it up with.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like cooking for that sense as well. I don't have to think, I just do. Well, I suppose this could just be a me thing as I'm sure lots of people have to think while cooking. But I usually don't. Plus I tend to vegetate and just stare into the pot I'm stirring and go into la la land.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yeah, I quite like to wash the dishes too. Vacuuming is not bad either. I use to really like mowing the lawns when I was a kid. Driving is also good. Some kind of activity that occupies your body but keeps the mind free I guess. Though this is the first time I've thought of it like that.

But for me when I am really bummed out I have to find some point at which I can change things. I think that is essential for me. Maybe that is why I find those kind of tasks enjoyable, they give me time to think. I call it thinking but it is more like mulling over something.

I pretty much think about it like that. I have to be busy, but not so busy that I can't think about what's bothering me. If I can't think about it, it doesn't help me at all. I even have to turn the music off in my car to think well. On the other hand, sitting my my room alone is the worst thing for me when I'm sad about something. I just sit there and dwell on it, I can only focus on the worst aspects, I can't get out of my head and I hate it. I end up feeling worse.

In short, I find a friend I can just go do stuff with. Nothing insane, maybe a hike/walk up a mountain, just running errands... Something to do without doing too much. Enough to distract me from the depressingness so that I'll feel better, little enough so I can still sort my thoughts out.

B

brainheart

Do you guys think this need to get out, be doing something physical is a need exclusive to SPs or something that is more universal?

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Do you guys think this need to get out, be doing something physical is a need exclusive to SPs or something that is more universal?

I think some of that is kinda type-related. I *do* things with people. I don't usually sit and chit chat with them.

However, I think it's probably helpful for most people to just get out and move on with the help from friends or diving into a hobby. It's not like I share all of my feelings with these friends when I feel this way. They're really a good distraction that helps me move on. At some point I'll probably bring it up, but it's not my gut reaction to gush feelings as soon as I see them. It depends on 2 main things. 1) Do they seem like they want to talk about it? I have a lot of T friends who probably wouldn't mind listening, but they rarely have any words of comfort for me. I know they care for my well-being, but I also know they are just as uncomfortable as I am talking about feelings. 2) Will I start crying as soon as the topic comes up? If yes, don't talk. Crying is one of those things I just can't do in front of people. I think it's a self-perpetuated thing. I never used to cry about much when I was young, so no one expects it. If I cry, people kinda freak out a little. And I feel completely weak and vulnerable and generally awful when I do it.

Anyway...do stuff. It's good, mkay? :D

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

Well, I think the need to get out and to be doing something physical is a universal impulse. It's all a matter of degree. SPs relate to the world primarily through their 5 senses and are open-ended in that relationship. For them, to be physically active is like scratching a very big itch.

Which is why SPs are at a great disadvantage in our passive education system, being forced as they are to sit at a desk. It's an artificial system which instills self-doubt into the SP.

No surprise that SPs thrive and come into their own much later in life, unconstrained by passive learning...if they are lucky and have the wherewithal to pursue paths more amenable to their type.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?

Neither. I think a lot of non-SPs feel energized by getting out, doing something active, etc... But I don't think it's entirely universal either. Some people, regardless of type, probably don't need it as much as others.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeh, some probably more than others...sort of like breeds of dog. :huh:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I think the need to get out and to be doing something physical is a universal impulse. It's all a matter of degree. SPs relate to the world primarily through their 5 senses and are open-ended in that relationship. For them, to be physically active is like scratching a very big itch.

Which is why SPs are at a great disadvantage in our passive education system, being forced as they are to sit at a desk. It's an artificial system which instills self-doubt into the SP.

No surprise that SPs thrive and come into their own much later in life, unconstrained by passive learning...if they are lucky and have the wherewithal to pursue paths more amenable to their type.

Excellent point. :happy0065:

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I stay home, watch TV, and eat tons of icecrream. I don't want to talk to anyone, just chill.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
If I'm like.. angry and bummed out I typically do something active, I'll clean or organize things. If I'm just sort of bummed/emotionally depleted/etc I tend to zone out a lot, really spacy and hard to reach.

Trepidation

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
If I'm like.. angry and bummed out I typically do something active, I'll clean or organize things. If I'm just sort of bummed/emotionally depleted/etc I tend to zone out a lot, really spacy and hard to reach.

This.