• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Do any other SPs get pissed the hell off on this forum?

KDude

Keirsey isn't a threat. I think even a lot of people who'd question him would give him some credit as a respectable thinker.. but like many INTPs, he has a knack for building theoretical models and boxes for things, and that doesn't work for actual people. That kind of categorizing can get pretty claustrophobic from time to time. There is no harm in someone calling models into question, introducing more data, saying "consider this.. it's not that simple".... or "wait a minute". Just because someone does that doesn't give you the right to retype people. "Oh, you're looking deeper into things.. you must be an N. Nyah Nyah =P". For fuck's sake, man. If you think it's that objectionable, you're just being dogmatic. Not reasonable.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The internet Keirsey descriptions are much better than the ones in the book. They are also shorter. That said, whether I'm wrong or right is kind of irrelevant, to be honest. It does not sound like you guys are reading into the descriptions. I may be reading things that aren't there, but when I see other people here coming up with the same things independently, I have to think I'm not totally off base.

No, I don't think you're totally off base, and you're right, I personally didn't read into the descriptions much. When I got here, I assumed everybody had made those conclusions together. (As in, they came in with a fresh new mind, and learned the regular stereotypes here, and then changed their mind.) Because with the few things that I saw at more than face value, I found that my opinion was still quite different than a lot of popular opinions I see here. So, I just figured everyone else had new opinions when they walked in, and now are subscribing to popular forum opinion. Then again, I don't have a popular forum thought process, so that may also have been why my thoughts on what I read were so different from the rest. (Some Ni fails on my part?) :shrug: Who knows? I may have felt differently if I read the book.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Keirsey isn't a threat. I think even a lot of people who'd question him would give him some credit as a respectable thinker.. but like many INTPs, he has a knack for building theoretical models and boxes for things, and that doesn't work for actual people. That kind of categorizing can get pretty claustrophobic from time to time. There is no harm in someone calling models into question, introducing more data, saying "consider this.. it's not that simple".... or "wait a minute". Just because someone does that doesn't give you the right to retype people. "Oh, you're looking deeper into things.. you must be an N. Nyah Nyah =P". For fuck's sake, man. If you think it's that objectionable, you're just being dogmatic. Not reasonable.

All this typology stuff could be considered "boxes for things." I'm not sure why you think Keirsey's model is more so than Myers-Briggs or anybody else. If anything I'd say that Keirsey's model is less "claustrophobic" because he doesn't attach a bunch of assumptions about internal functions. He types based on observable behavior.

I don't get your deal about "right to re-type people" at all. I certainly have the right to express my opinion about someone's type based on my own observations. That person is free to ignore my opinion. I have no power over anyone when it comes to such things, so I'm not sure why that bothers you.

Also, I think I'm one of the LEAST dogmatic people around this burg. I don't tell people things like "You can't be Fe Ne" or "If you haven't read Psychological Types, you can't comment on typology" and other such stuff that I've read on this forum. I'll all about freedom, man. Use whatever systems you like and more power to you. All I was doing in this topic was responding to some mischaracterizations of Keirsey's temperament descriptions. No dogma necessary, dude, I promise. I'm the last one to have a problem with questioning things and introducing more data. I don't know how you can misread me that strongly.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm reading into the text, not just reading the surface and taking it at face value. I don't learn anything that way.

Nuff said. You're talking to a bunch of sensors. Personally I take things very literally (face value). Rarely do I read into the text.

Generalizations come with just about anything you learn. When I think about this, I usually recall Chem class having a few rules that applied to everything...with at least one exception. It happens. Not everything ever fits into a nice box, but it sure helps with organization and learning.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Jeffster

Sounds like that's your problem right there. If it takes you making things up in your head to learn, you have a learning disability.

Uhhh..so you're accidentally posting your opinions? Assigning your own alternate meanings to words that already have meanings isn't opinion. It's distortion.

True, but as long as people are going to post misinformation, there's nothing wrong with me posting corrections. Obviously, i too hope people will read the books for themselves. It's a pity there's so much re-writing of it by people online.

Do the founders of Typology Central have a "Keirsey-pushing agenda" too? Since they set up these sections of the forum based on his temperament categories, it would seem that they at least grant his theories some validity. I didn't join this site with any agenda to "push" anything, I'm just posting my views just as anyone else does.

Much of this is true, and much of it is possibly intentional 'misinterpretation' on your part. Still, the important parts are below so I'll just continue on.

Thanks for the quotes, however none of them state anything about "SJ = closeminded, religious, braindead moron who works for the government or some other large organization, without a single original thought" as you asserted earlier.

Religious values about sex. Lack of original thoughts to decide whether or not to have sex (the peer pressure thing). The rest, I'll take back, or at least pretend to.

If you said that the norms of society have changed and Keirsey's specific assertions about the common views of SJs seem a bit outdated, then I would actually agree with you there. And there have been topics about that here as well as Keirsey's own forum. But it's a big leap from "societal standards have changed, and SJs remain the standard-bearers" to "This entire text loses all validity because some behaviors have changed."

The norms were not even this way in 1998 when the book was written. The quotes I posted sound damn near Victorian. That's why I think it should be discredited; not because behaviours were changed, but because it was wrong even at the time it was supposed to be accurate.

Oh COME ON now. You want to talk about "pukeworthy bullshit." "Heteronormative assumption?" So, do you advocate re-writing every book to include the phrase "...or a same-sex relationship" in it somewhere?

No. I advocate instead that people strive to avoid enforcing heteronormative standards (especially with a section like "Different Drummers" at the front of the book). How hard is it to use phrases like "romantic partner" or better yet, "sexual partner"? Why is it necessary to point out repeatedly that the partner "is" of the opposite sex?

Wow...that's pretty ridiculous. The fact remains that the overwhelming majority of romantic relationships are between members of the opposite sex, and not stopping to put an asterisk on texts about relationship in no way invalidates the millions of books written about such topics.

This isn't my main point about invalidating Keirsey, it was more of a side...annoyance, we can say. That said, I think this post has shown your true colours. Helpful. ("Fuck them, they're just a minority! Yeah, who cares about them, right?")

Hey, no problem. I don't advocate The Feminazi Handbook to Relationships either, so there we are. Thing is, I don't think it's difficult for most people (including SJs) to realize that the overall concepts of a theory don't go out the window just because certain specific standards change over time.

Yes. Si causes SJs to maintain standards, because standards are externally verifiable, reliable, and known. That is far more accurate than surrounding it with all this bullshit. Si descriptions. Oh wait, Keirsey doesn't advocate the function theory. That's a problem for me.

Also, I find it rather sickening that one has to be a 'feminazi' to be upset that Keirsey compares women to cattle. (Why buy the cow when the milk's free? -- puke)

Sounds like you might need to hand in your SP card. In another topic, you said you don't like to be touched and here you say you read into everything. The prognosis is grim. :newwink:

Bullshit. I don't fit your stereotypes, so what? Learn what Se is instead of relying on Keirsey's SP descriptions, and perhaps you would reconsider, not that I care if you do. (Cue "you don't want to be touched? you're just a frigid bitch!" comments.)

For the record, I am not in the employ of Keirsey nor do I worship him or consider him without flaws in his theories. I think my issue is with people who can't keep their critiques to what he has actually said. It's almost as if some here (and I'm not saying this about you specifically) feel like Keirsey is a threat to them somehow, because they seem to spend so much time trying to discredit him instead of simply advocating for what they think is a better system.

Keirsey is as much of a threat to MBTI/JCF as a five year old tee ball player is to an MLB all-star. To date, I've written 5 or 6 posts discrediting Keirsey -- only two of which have reached this length. I've written over 400 posts, then, advocating the cognitive functions. So no worries, I'm definitely advocating for the better system. ;)

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Nuff said. You're talking to a bunch of sensors. Personally I take things very literally (face value). Rarely do I read into the text.

Generalizations come with just about anything you learn. When I think about this, I usually recall Chem class having a few rules that applied to everything...with at least one exception. It happens. Not everything ever fits into a nice box, but it sure helps with organization and learning.

Great. Now when an N sees this and uses it as 'proof' that all Ss don't read into anything and we're all dumb, I can't say they lack all evidence and are delusional.

My point is only that adhering to the function theory leads to fewer unnecessary stereotypes.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
No, I don't think you're totally off base, and you're right, I personally didn't read into the descriptions much. When I got here, I assumed everybody had made those conclusions together. (As in, they came in with a fresh new mind, and learned the regular stereotypes here, and then changed their mind.) Because with the few things that I saw at more than face value, I found that my opinion was still quite different than a lot of popular opinions I see here. So, I just figured everyone else had new opinions when they walked in, and now are subscribing to popular forum opinion. Then again, I don't have a popular forum thought process, so that may also have been why my thoughts on what I read were so different from the rest. (Some Ni fails on my part?) :shrug: Who knows? I may have felt differently if I read the book.

Ahhh that's very interesting, it may be that (that you are not of a common type here)!

If anything, though, this forum has erased some of the ideas I came in with, mostly about SJs. Many SJs here, especially the ISTJs and one awesome ESTJ :) are so open-minded, many are atheists (in contrast to the religious stereotype), and they are understanding people. It's great!

Edit: ISFJs too! lol. And I liked one ESFJ a whole lot, but she left. :/

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!

Thank you!

Function theory is much less claustrophobic. For me, outside of the FiSe axis, I can be whoever I want without being un-SP. I am an SP because I have top-two Se, and it really is that simple, no matter what Keirsey says.

I think he is indeed good at forming theories... but not a good theorist. Good theorists check with reality before publishing a book. (FTR, I don't consider myself much of a theorist at all, but I wouldn't be a good one, anyway.)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great. Now when an N sees this and uses it as 'proof' that all Ss don't read into anything and we're all dumb, I can't say they lack all evidence and are delusional.

My point is only that adhering to the function theory leads to fewer unnecessary stereotypes.

Hmm... Now when an N sees McMartinez post and tries to use it as proof that we're all dumb, I'd question the N's ability to properly collect their evidence before drawing conclusions. I always figured that "seeing things at face value" can be more scientific and smarter than reading into everything. Scientists have a hypotheses, but they should collect a whole lot of information to then be able to prove that. That's what an S is, to me. Not reading into anything tells me, "I don't assume things, I need as much information as I can to draw a conclusion, because jumping to conclusions is a waste of time when I can get my facts straight and then reach a more accurate conclusion in the end." For me, God forbid I make a decision at work without knowing exactly what I'm talking about. What about a judge in a court of law? They should never assume too much either. This is true in a lot of noble professions. That's how I've always viewed S's literalism + taking things at face value. The bias towards N's here because of this fact was big news to me. This has always been my view since before arriving to this forum.

This view always comes to the front of my mind when I see some of the pompous NT's who walk around all day making assumptions on nothing and guessing on things. Like wait, back up. Aren't YOU supposed to be the scientists? A smart person doesn't know everything just because they "pulled it out of thin air". We're not all thinker statues here. We make wrong guesses when we do that. Smart and well balanced people get lots of facts and then draw conclusions, and are open to changing their minds as new facts come to light.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Hmm... Now when an N sees McMartinez post and tries to use it as proof that we're all dumb, I'd question the N's ability to properly collect their evidence before drawing conclusions. I always figured that "seeing things at face value" can be more scientific and smarter than reading into everything. Scientists have a hypotheses, but they should collect a whole lot of information to then be able to prove that. That's what an S is, to me. Not reading into anything tells me, "I don't assume things, I need as much information as I can to draw a conclusion, because jumping to conclusions is a waste of time when I can get my facts straight and then reach a more accurate conclusion in the end." For me, God forbid I make a decision at work without knowing exactly what I'm talking about. What about a judge in a court of law? They should never assume top much either. This is true in a lot of noble professions. That's how I've always viewed S's literalism + taking things at face value. The bias towards here because of this fact was big news to me. This has always been my view since before arriving to this forum.

Especially with some of the pompous NT's who walk around all day making assumptions on nothing and guessing on things. Like wait, back up. Aren't YOU supposed to be the scientists?

They are the scientists because they can hypothesize based on limited data, and follow the hunch. The scientific method, which you describe, is IMO very S (I agree on that point). It forces us to get significant amounts of data. That is through statistics ofc. The rest of your post only enforces that old thread I made -- the world favours S types. Literalism.

My point is that Ns don't seem to need as much data before drawing conclusions. They go from part to whole faster -- the downside is that the whole pattern perception is often wrong! So yeah, they may not be collecting evidence properly, but that doesn't mean that their N won't tell them it's sufficient.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They are the scientists because they can hypothesize based on limited data, and follow the hunch. The scientific method, which you describe, is IMO very S (I agree on that point). It forces us to get significant amounts of data. That is through statistics ofc. The rest of your post only enforces that old thread I made -- the world favours S types. Literalism.

My point is that Ns don't seem to need as much data before drawing conclusions. They go from part to whole faster -- the downside is that the whole pattern perception is often wrong! So yeah, they may not be collecting evidence properly, but that doesn't mean that their N won't tell them it's sufficient.

Yes. All correct.

A dumb an imbalanced N just assumes everything/ reads into everything without having any knowledge to back it up and is inaccurate half the time.
A dumb S will collect facts all day and not be able to draw conclusions about them. Accurate, but slow on the uptake.

A smart and balanced anybody should be able to do both. They will value both areas, the whole scientific process. (In even daily life decisions.) With a strength in one area or another.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Yes. All correct.

A dumb an imbalanced N just assumes everything/ reads into everything without having any knowledge to back it up and is inaccurate half the time.
A dumb S will collect facts all day and not be able to draw conclusions about them. Accurate, but slow on the uptake.

A smart and balanced anybody should be able to do both. They will value both areas, the whole scientific process. (In even daily life decisions.) With a strength in one area or another.

I agree with that, but I personally think the preferences will remain distinct until well into one's 40s or 50s. Yeah there are rare cases that seem very balanced at a young age. Actually, I think you are like that (Edit: I mean this in the best way possible!). I seem to completely lack Te, on the other hand, even though it's my inferior. Because it takes time to achieve that balance.

Perhaps the wisdom one is supposed to get as one ages is just... balance.

Edit: I think as long as a hypothesis is made clear to be just that, it's fine. When stated as fact, it becomes a problem.

Also. The problem with requiring data for everything, IMO, is that one's experience gets pitted against others' experiences. If you have contradictory experiences, you can't run a random sampled, double blind study to determine who is right! This is why I think experiences are important but are not everything. It's a tough balance.

wolfy

awsm
Yes. All correct.

I have all your posts in a folder.
I can't make heads or tails of them.

(I had to put the I back to post in here)

gromit

likes this
Yes. All correct.

Yes I think it's true, anyone should be able to do both!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The norms were not even this way in 1998 when the book was written. The quotes I posted sound damn near Victorian. That's why I think it should be discredited; not because behaviours were changed, but because it was wrong even at the time it was supposed to be accurate.

I would agree that Dr. Keirsey hasn't exactly had his finger on the pulse of modern society in the last 30 years or so. The original Please Understand Me was written in 1978, and even though there is much updated and expanded upon in the sequel 20 years later, he probably didn't properly update certain sections like the one on SJ sex that you cited. The stuff about SP slang is the same way, a lot of the examples he gives seem to come more out of the 50's and 60's. Still, I disagree with you that his not "getting with the times" as far as those specifics means that his whole book should be discredited.

The point of anything is whether it's useful in practice, right? And the fact is that Keirsey Temperament Theory has been very useful to me and many other people for better understanding friends, relatives, romantic partners (there ya go), etc. Keirsey's son, who runs their forum, has worked with his father on updating some of the previous material, and the latest book, "Personology", I would say, does at least a decent job in doing so. Unfortunately, it takes a long time for updated material in books with low distribution to permeate the internet, so the most common Keirsey quotes will probably still be from the Please Understand Me books for a long time.
But, like I said, I can laugh at certain passages as being a bit outdated and still recognize that the overall content is good, and really not any more stereotype-based than any other sociological system that is based on observation of human behavior.

No. I advocate instead that people strive to avoid enforcing heteronormative standards (especially with a section like "Different Drummers" at the front of the book). How hard is it to use phrases like "romantic partner" or better yet, "sexual partner"? Why is it necessary to point out repeatedly that the partner "is" of the opposite sex?

Well, we'll just have to disagree about that. I don't think there's anything wrong with "heteronormative standards" so I fail to see it as something that needs to be avoided. As you say, it's not much relevant to the main point.

This isn't my main point about invalidating Keirsey, it was more of a side...annoyance, we can say. That said, I think this post has shown your true colours. Helpful. ("Fuck them, they're just a minority! Yeah, who cares about them, right?")

Once again, not something I said. I'm not putting words in your mouth, try not doing it for me.

Yes. Si causes SJs to maintain standards, because standards are externally verifiable, reliable, and known. That is far more accurate than surrounding it with all this bullshit. Si descriptions. Oh wait, Keirsey doesn't advocate the function theory. That's a problem for me.

I personally think function theory works as a good supplement to KTT. He doesn't advocate it, but that doesn't mean that people can't use what works for them. I mean, heck, Carl Jung himself would probably be rolling around in his grave if he knew how his stuff has been twisted and used by all kinds of people to mean whatever they wanted it to mean, but if you get something out of his stuff, and some from somebody else, then awesome. I certainly don't believe in trying to limit myself to one person's ideas in my own understanding of people.

Also, I find it rather sickening that one has to be a 'feminazi' to be upset that Keirsey compares women to cattle. (Why buy the cow when the milk's free? -- puke)

Well, sorry, but the word "heteronormative" sounds like it comes out of the feminazi handbook, that's why I said that. And Keirsey was quoting a commonly used phrase by a lot of fathers. Surely you've heard similar sayings in your time from parents trying to influence their kids' behavior in some way? Dr. K himself was not stating that women are cattle.

Bullshit. I don't fit your stereotypes, so what? Learn what Se is instead of relying on Keirsey's SP descriptions, and perhaps you would reconsider, not that I care if you do. (Cue "you don't want to be touched? you're just a frigid bitch!" comments.)

I've learned quite a bit about "Se", thank you very much. I don't "rely" on Keirsey's SP descriptions, I am capable of observing plenty on my own. I think it's verifiably true that some people can and have used Keirsey's work to advance stereotypes, but the fact is that people have used function theory for the same purpose as well. There's posts all over this forum with people doing so. I think the fact that a ton of the people who spend time spouting things about functions don't really know much about them leads to a lot of confusion among people when it comes to their type. And I think the fundamental difference in the way that Sensors and Intutives take in information is a big part of that. Both try to squeeze something into a box it doesn't fit into. The thing I like about Keirsey is that it's simplified and a lot harder to confuse (you know, unless you try to. ;))

Keirsey is as much of a threat to MBTI/JCF as a five year old tee ball player is to an MLB all-star. To date, I've written 5 or 6 posts discrediting Keirsey -- only two of which have reached this length. I've written over 400 posts, then, advocating the cognitive functions. So no worries, I'm definitely advocating for the better system. ;)

Cool. More power to ya. There are others who have regularly posted here who seem to make it their lifelong quest to bash Keirsey. (A few of them have been banned, but some still persist.) I'm glad you're not one of them.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I've decided I don't want to get banned from this forum, so I'm choosing not to respond.

I knew it.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Actually, never mind. Just a quick question for you, Jeffster. Since you seem very proud of your opinions (correct me if this isn't the case)... would you mind if I posted the following phrase from your above post in my signature?

the word "heteronormative" sounds like it comes out of the feminazi handbook

IMO, it's totally sig-worthy.

(This section of the forum is viewable by non-members, so no concerns about that.)

Thanks.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually, never mind. Just a quick question for you, Jeffster. Since you seem very proud of your opinions (correct me if this isn't the case)... would you mind if I posted the following phrase from your above post in my signature?

Not at all. Go for it. :cool:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have all your posts in a folder.
I can't make heads or tails of them.

(I had to put the I back to post in here)

I'm not sure how I feel about this.......