User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: ISTP or ADD?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Default ISTP or ADD?

uh, noticed a topic developing in another thread and well here we go.

I had a school teacher that worked part-time on my team, tell me she thought that I had ADD...

Just because I could focus on something so intently, I wouldn't hear a word that she said. Which led to my reading about ADD of the Inattentive type?

This was about seven years ago, and I read all kinds of crap.

Sometimes I'd think how could I be ADD when my ISTP best friend is exactly like me?

So what!?! I used to not be able to find my keys, or he'd walk out of a store and leave his wallet behind. Right now I always know where my keys are. They're in a basket I place next to the door, which is exactly where I drop and retrieve them from each and every day.

So guess I'm asking? Is it really ADD or is it simply ISTP?

Or is it diet? The modern lifestyle vs. just be?

****Disclaimer

I would encourage anyone thinking about stopping ADD/ADHD medication to consult with their clinician to establish an appropriate schedule. Under no circumstances stop taking any psychoactive medication without consultation.
    Last edited by sLiPpY; 12-10-2009 at 11:52 PM.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

I think a good portion of it is just being ISTP. Even if I am diagnosed as A.D.D.

But I'll tell ya, Adderall is a God send for work/school/obligations in general. I want to blow my brains out on days I forget to take it. I get like a solid 20 minutes of work in out of an 8 hour day. And that's only a slight exaggeration. I'm pretty sure that's happened before. Whereas if I take my normal dose, I'm a good 80-90% efficient.

Needless to say, my attention span (at least when it comes to things that don't interest me) is the size of a gnat's. Throw a kitten in front of me in mid-conversation, and there's no way I'll even remember you're still there.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

When I was younger "juggling" was really difficult, like work school or a few beers.

As I've gotten older, I don't have any real concerns.

MBTI
    ISTP

I've had the exact same thoughts before. I think some of it is ADD. I've taken adderall a couple of times and....omg, it does wonders for my concentration! The only problems were 1) I lost track of time...totally worked 'til like 7pm one night when I'm normally itching to leave by lunch, lol 2) I wasn't hungry AT ALL 3) I couldn't sleep much.

I suppose losing track of time isn't terrible as long as I set reminders for EVERYTHING in my phone. Not eating or sleeping are bad, m'kay? I don't like eating when I'm hungry most of the time 'cause it's a chore. It's terrible for me if I'm just not hungry. I'd never eat. I was most likely on a dose that was too high for me.

My attention span is pretty crap for the most part. I have to be really into something and motivated to pay attention. I usually time out at 45 minutes. Doesn't matter what it is. Movies, class, work...

I really thought about asking for a prescription for it from a doc, but then I felt silly and my aunt (who's a kidney doc and VERY conservative about people taking any kind of drugs) said not to do it. So I never went. I still think about it sometimes tho.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

^ Not to be a bad influence or anything (Read: I -am- a bad influence)... but you'll write the best program EVER if you get back on it!
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    XXFP

Adderall (I call it Amp-a-fet) makes me feel like my heart is going to blow out of my jugular.

I have a bottle of the stuff left over from a (years) old prescription, don't touch it though. I don't recall it actually helping me concentrate. I remember a variety of unusual side effects and trouble sleeping. EDIT: and yeah, I remember not eating for...2 days. It was bad... According to the doctors, if you don't actually have ADD, than stimulants make you feel racy (expected), where as if you do have it, stimulants actually calm you down.

So, based on this experience, I don't actually have ADD, but I had/have the outward appearance of someone who does have ADD, hence the prescription. Of course, they write prescriptions for this stuff like it's M&M's.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

istps I know tend to not have a good sense of time it would seem. I can relate but I think ADD/ADHD is way over-diagnosed. I've written several cited papers on it so there.

in mbti terms ADD is deeply associated with Ne, but I guess ironically it could also involve over-focus/analyzing on something (Ti?). I have no idea what the medication is like when you do supposedly have ADD. I've taken my ENFP friend's horse-dosed Concerta (fancy name for legal time-released speed) a few times. I felt like Da Vinci or Alexander the Great or something, but it did not help with my focusing at all, or underarm dryness. Felt good for an hour and then really unnatural and anxiety-ridden. Took his little brother's dose, which didn't do anything.

There are too many factors, like your individual learning and thought processes and other things like stress and sleep deprivation/malnutrition. I still think there are way too many people, kids especially, who get diagnosed and prescribed this stuff and it can sometimes fuck them up later after they take it for a long time.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Adderall (I call it Amp-a-fet) makes me feel like my heart is going to blow out of my jugular.

I have a bottle of the stuff left over from a (years) old prescription, don't touch it though. I don't recall it actually helping me concentrate. I remember a variety of unusual side effects and trouble sleeping. EDIT: and yeah, I remember not eating for...2 days. It was bad... According to the doctors, if you don't actually have ADD, than stimulants make you feel racy (expected), where as if you do have it, stimulants actually calm you down.

So, based on this experience, I don't actually have ADD, but I had/have the outward appearance of someone who does have ADD, hence the prescription. Of course, they write prescriptions for this stuff like it's M&M's.
    And that's why I don't want to just ask for it. I know they'll pretty much give it to me whether I really legitimately need it or not.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I thought about Adderall too at a time when I was in a high stress job that just wasn't a good fit.

I did read a lot on the topic and took more so of a holistic approach. Stopped eating processed foods, excepting as a treat once in a blue moon. Like breakfast is a bowl of organic oatmeal, an orange, a glass of milk or some plain organic yogurt. Which are funny terms to me...

Lunch is maybe a whole wheat pita with some salsa and chicken, a simple salad with a vinegarette dressing. Basically, completely eliminated sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup from my diet. Ability to focus increased exponentially.

I never got myself tested for hypoglycemia, but I'd read several case studies where simply changing one's diet helped people who's blood sugar fluctuates in such a way not to be confused with diabetes.

So maybe for me either I aged out of that growth cycle and life stage? Or a change in diet really helped? I've been eating like this for about five years now, but it doesn't stop me from having some cake or ice cream every now and then.

Thanks to all for posting on the topic, I'd wondered about it... Then saw a couple of post and thought heck yes! I've got to ask so the SP's can huddle.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post
    And that's why I don't want to just ask for it. I know they'll pretty much give it to me whether I really legitimately need it or not.
    Yes, what Bamboo and Adoamros said is how I thought about it too...

Psychoactive drugs are frickn' scary. They help some, and prompt a few to kill themselves or others.