User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: ISTP or ADD?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Everyone's chemistry is different. There is so much we don't know about our chemistry and how the brain works. But I am definitely of the "if it don't work, don't do it school." Ritalin worked and continues to work for me. It has improved my life 1000% over the span of 15 adult years. I only wish I had been diagnosed as a child...it would have spared me untold agonies. But I am grateful for what i have now...the past is the past. But I will not deprive another child of such healing if it is warranted. That would be as cruel as forcing a non-ADD child to take medications he or she does not need..and which are in fact harmful to them.

As I said I never have had a single negative reaction to Ritalin...no weight loss, no depression (just the reverse), no dry mouth, no insomnia etc... and 80 mgs is a high dose...and it has remained at that level for all 15 years, with the same effectiveness. And no addiction problems either. In fact I quit smoking after I began taking Ritalin.
    Smoking is one of the ways non-diagnosed ADD folk self-medicate.

Ritalin is one of the greatest blessings that God has granted me and those like me.

ADD is real. As is the effectiveness of certain medications.

Correct diagnosis. Correct medication. Constructive and creative life. What's not to love?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

To round out the discussion has anyone heard of SPECT scanning, which is now becoming more popular by aiding in diagnosis for a multitude of brain function issues?

SPECT Atlas – Amen Clinics

There are a lot of cynics regarding the application of technology, but it makes one hell of a lot more sense vs. relying on the more traditional interview methods.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    For sure. I actually found a neat article that Keirsey wrote on ADD: The Great A.D.D. Hoax - The Natural Child Project
    More crap. Hateful.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Almost forgot, here's what ADD/ADHD supposedly looks like on a SPECT scan.

Images of Attention Deficit Disorder ADD/ADHD – Amen Clinics

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Almost forgot, here's what ADD/ADHD supposedly looks like on a SPECT scan.

Images of Attention Deficit Disorder ADD/ADHD Ė Amen Clinics
    Finally. From the murky mists of medieval myths to real science.

Thank you.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

What's impressive to me about the Amen Clinics approach, is that they advise the patient on taking a holistic approach such as diet, exercise, etc and certain supplements that they have taken follow-up scans to verify they show enough change to consider "working."

Prior prescribing meds, or determining which type of medication would be effective.

I like the middle path and hope the approach becomes more widely available, however lament that they've become more commercial in peddling their proprietary and over priced supplements vs. simply posting on their web site things that people who can't afford thousand for an analysis might try.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

If everyone took a reasonable approach to diet, exercise, etc, there would be a lot less illnesses of all kinds...from diabetes to panic attacks...but none of it will change schizophrenia, clinical depression, ADD and the like. Some disorders need chemical assistance. But a healthy lifestyle sure won't hurt.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Eek, I have 5 close friends who are 'ADD' and all of them take some sort of drug for it. And it made all of them skinny. They don't eat when they're on the medication....is that safe? The neighbor kid, when the parents took him off the medication for the weekend, acted as if he was crawling out of his skin. This happened on many occasions and I wonder if its not because his body craves that drug.
    Does anyone ever feel like they lose more concentration and such when not on the medication as apposed to when they never took medication for their ADD?
    I'm sure the medication works differently for everyone, but it is a medication and you can become addicted to it. Who's to know how your body reacts when not on it and then we're just blaming it on the ADD?

I suppose these are just observations that I've made being surrounded by teenagers and children with ADD/ADHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

I have never lost weight on Ritalin. My skin has never crawled. I can go off Ritalin at will and feel no effects at all...except a loss of ability to focus at will. I often forget to take my pill every 4 hours...and some days forget altogether, esp when in a hyperfocus state. Not addictive at all. I lived for 35 years without Ritalin and know exactly what it is like to live without it and I have lived the last 15 years with it...this is no game.

If the kids are experiencing negative effects, take em off. Simple as that.

But don't attack ADD as a result of some wrong diagnoses.

I am living proof it is real.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Stopping any psychoactive medication abruptly is one of the most dangerous things anyone can do. It's a shock to the system and a tapering off schedule should be established with a qualified clinician.